The "off" season

RBSF

As you fine racer-folks struggle through the boring winter doldrums, please consider a couple things:

Take your personal safety seriously, and not just on the track itself. What is there that you just can't normally find time to look into.....

1. Is your hauler in good shape, brake/turn signals work, breakaway systems ok, decent rubber, trailer brakes...You know, the crap you hate to mess with.

2. Have you invested a few bucks on a real fire extinguisher for it, and checked to make sure it's good to go?

3. Extension cords...I've really seen some bad dangerous nasty ones, and I know for a fact they can KILL you. Even a ridiculously small shock can cause your heart to stop pumping.

4. Air hoses...Duct tape... NOT a good combination. Oh, and don't use duct tape on your cords either!

It sounds like simple no-brainer stuff, but that's what gets you, and you know it.

Many tracks are blessed with an excellent and proactive fire crew, who work hard at staying trained and equipped. If you purchase any new nifty head/neck restraint stuff, let them check it out. If you happen to be a large person in a car with a small opening, buy a fire suppression system. No, I'm not picking on you, just think real hard about what you could be up against. Ask Santa for one. If you still have a single-layer fire suit, well, you're an idiot. I'd like to candycoat that, but sorry, it's true. I know you can get good used multilayer suits reasonably priced 'cause I've seem 'em. Don't mess around with crappy fuel caps and flappers, it's just not worth the risk.

Get the GOOD stuff, you are dang sure worth it!

Oh, and we didn't build that cute little thing called Flipr so we could embarrass or humiliate anyone, it's not just a nifty toy to drag around so people can tell me what a great idea it is. If you're nervous about getting in it, guess what...You're the person it's built FOR! I'm SO sick of hearing excuses, I think I've heard 'em all. No, you don't HAVE to do it, but I'd say 95% of those who have, have walked away with a better understanding of how disorienting it is and how much harder it was than they thought it would be. When this unit comes to your area, I urge all drivers to give it a shot. What do you have to lose? Your lunch? (Nobody has yet!!) ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Race Safe (or stay home)

Archived