SAIS pic

NickHolt

Have I posted this pic before?

post-3-1256874051.jpg

San Antonio International Speedway was what San Antonio Speedway was named in 1990 when this pic of an up-and-coming driver was the subject of a San Antonio Light article I wrote.

So, who is the kid with the braces? Why was his car number what it was?

What names has the SAS half-mile been called and what years and under what owners/promoters?

We know it was first called Highway 16 Raceway, so there's your start.

Nick

SOMEONE needs to fill us in!! :D i'm dying to know why he had the #10...i know every driver has a reason behind their number...and, most the time, the stories that go with them are pretty interesting...

Actually that was the #18.. you just can't see the whole number..

Nick

man Nick,

HWY 16 Raceway group of folks wanting to leave Pan American leady by Don Bierschwale and about 27 other..., 77-82

San Antonio Speedway in 83 not sure who promoted

84 Joe Horne comes along, SA RACEWAY until about 87

San Antonio Intl Speedway 88-90

Frank Howell saves it and becomes River City Raceway with NASCAR 90-92?

Scott Holland goes to San Antonio Speedway 93-95 it shuts down early

Frank Howell comes back? SAS with Howell, Ted Carlson, Bill Haglund, Mike Sepich & TD??

I know i've missed a few, just takin a shot!

man Nick,

HWY 16 Raceway group of folks wanting to leave Pan American leady by Don Bierschwale and about 27 other..., 77-82

San Antonio Speedway in 83 not sure who promoted

84 Joe Horne comes along, SA RACEWAY until about 87

San Antonio Intl Speedway 88-90

Frank Howell saves it and becomes River City Raceway with NASCAR 90-92?

Scott Holland goes to San Antonio Speedway 93-95 it shuts down early

Frank Howell comes back? SAS with Howell, Ted Carlson, Bill Haglund, Mike Sepich & TD??

I know i've missed a few, just takin a shot!

just ask tom...he can fill in the gaps! :lol:

Rodney has most of it, But I think the track was called San Antonio Intl Speedway in 91-92.

I also remember them bringing in an outside of Texas promoter named Mick Schuler for a year or so, about 1979. Schuler came here from Altus Speedway in Oklahoma, and didn't stay long before heading to Kalamazoo, Michigan.

OK... lilmod... Robert Barker has a brother named David Barker. At the time they both raced in the same division. One car was number 18.. the other car was number 17 as I recall. Clues enough?

Nick

I was thinking their ages, but I kinda think it is their age when they started racing, as I believe David is a year older than Robert.

You guys got it right. David was 18 and drove the #18 and Robert was 17 and drove the #17 the first year they competed.

Nick

Frank Howell bought the track from Joe Horne is Nov. of 87. We learned about it while we were up at TWS. He hired Ricci Ware the first year to be the promoter and race director. The name was San antonio International Speedway. That was the first job I had at a race track instead of racing.

Terry

I found some lineage stuff I had, as well as a previous posting by Neil Upchurch to compile the following, should fill in a few gaps--

1985 to 1988 San Antonio Raceway

1989 to 1992 San Antonio Intl Speedway

1993 to 1995 San Antonio Speedway

1996 River City Raceway

1997 San Antonio Speedway

Still looking around for some more stuff.

I was thinking their ages, but I kinda think it is their age when they started racing, as I believe David is a year older than Robert.

You guys got it right. David was 18 and drove the #18 and Robert was 17 and drove the #17 the first year they competed.

Nick

FINALLY!! :lol: dang..thought i was gonna hafta break out "google"...hahahaha

but, it's interesting...as are most "number" stories...they seem to almost always have some significance to the driver's life...

Nick

FINALLY!! :lol: dang..thought i was gonna hafta break out "google"...hahahaha

but, it's interesting...as are most "number" stories...they seem to almost always have some significance to the driver's life...

I tried... <_< I found stuff on Nick I didnt know... :P I was thinking their ages but it was going to be a guess... The right one I see. I didnt know a whole lot about the history as we were street racing and at Alamo. I did do a little Pan American as a kid, but only went to SAR,Highway 16, SAS a half dozen times till the late 90's.

(on edit:) What ever happened to the observation deck shown in that picture?

you got cloer than me, mark...

i've never been to any of those tracks....all my racing history is in illinois and south texas...i'm thinking i'm gonna take a year off work and just tour dirt tracks...

wonder if i can talk the boss into it? :lol:

Archived