When you go to pick out your safety gear, here's a bit of data to keep in mind:

Skin Temp / Time of skin exposure / Damage caused

110 f / 6 hours / Cell breakdown starts

158 f / 1 second / Total cell destruction

176 f / 0.1 second / Curable burn

200 f / 0.1 second / Incurable 3rd deg burn

Temperature of burning clothing: 1400 deg f

GET THE GOOD STUFF!!!

There is also some real good data at the SFI website.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/

There are also several opinions on types of on-board fire suppression systems, pros and cons of the two most effective agents. My opinion(for what it's worth) is: Get one. The foam is good, the new generation halon is good, and if they start putting "Cold Fire" in any, that's more than good.

Take a look at what your track has as a first line of defense, talk to the crews(nicely), show some curiousity and appreciation for positive efforts, show concern about marginal or non-existant equipment.

I was at a facility recently that had a well equipt truck for the track, and absolutely NO fire extinguishers anywhere, and I mean ANYWHERE. It's really up to you folks that have the potential for needing this protection to voice your concern. Wherever I go, I know there will be at least one good extinguisher. How about you? You can get a pretty good one for about $60, and mount it on your hauler somewhere real handy.

Recently, one that I had given away was used in the pits, no telling what might have been the damages if it hadn't been handy. One fella used one off his hauler to put out a motorcycle fire at his house, one put out a neighbor's house/yard fire.

In the midst of all the um, ah, "moisture" that Texas has experienced lately it's probably hard to picture ANYTHING burning, but hydrocarbons really don't care what the weather is.

Don't blow me off, just do it because you know it's the right thing to do.

Paul

Ryan Bard Safety Foundation

What's YOUR life worth?

• 8 months later...

Is that the one powered by a co2 cartridge?

jay

I would like to know about the fire systems for the car. The Firecharger uses a foam and is easily refilled at the track, is this an equal fire system to the Halon systems?

There are pros and cons for each type of system, and you just need to pick one.

Halon won't freeze or gum up, is very effective, and in some cases can extinguish a pile of cars.

Foam is cheaper, and therefore it's more likely that you will test your system.

Halon is a hazardous material, and has to be handled as such, making it very expensive.

Foam systems can be refilled and charged very cheaply, so can be done at track or shop.

A couple cons: the foam concentrate can gum and make the control head stick shut, so should be checked routinely. Being water-based, it can freeze during the winter.

All that being said..... I would use foam in my dirt car, and it would most likely be the Safecraft brand.

Nothing wrong with FireCharger, but the rupture discs and CO2 cans can add up if you actually test your system as you should. Safecraft can be charged with air/nitrogen in your shop, and has a great automatic option. JMO, I don't sell either!

Archived