HEI DISTRIBUTOR

Matt Ohm

Check to see if the metal ground strap was left off the coil. It has to be something used on all three.

THE FIRST TWO WERE DUI'S FROM DAY AND I HAVE FOUND THE GROUND STRAP LOOSE A FEW TIMES BUT OTHER THAN THAT EVERY THING LOOKED GOOD. THE LAST ONE WAS A FLAME THROWER ALL THEE CAME FROM DAY PAID NEW PRICE FOR ALL THREE THERE SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ANY USED PARTS.

Heres my 2 cents....Make sure the metal ground strap(the one under the coil) of the coil is not corroded or missing. Make sure the hold down screw that goes through that strap is making a good ground. Make sure you have some white heat compound between the module and dist. Check your plug gaps. .045 max. My best guess is like the others...ground problem.

Another possibility(though most likely not) is the voltage going to the coil. HEI needs 12 volts but anything over 14 volts (approx) is not good. Make sure your charging system isnt putting out to much voltage.

Papa probably nailed it. "Make sure you have some white heat compound between the module and dist."

There's a special dielectric grease, made specifically for modules, that MUST be applied underneath the module. Otherwise, it will behave as you explained.

I HAVE CHECKED ALL OF THAT THE DISTRIBUTOR SHAFT WAS GETTING REAL HOT I CHECK TO SEE IF THE BEARING WAS LOCKING UP BUT EVERYTHING SPUN FREE.

If the actual SHAFT is getting hot, you have a binding issue between the bottom gear and the camshaft. Put some marking paint on the dist. gear, install, rotate motor, remove distributor (just like you'd setup rear gears) and make sure there is proper bite. Might need some shims.

CuttingEdgeRacing has a good possible reason also. I have seen people put the Dist in with out a gasket. That would allow the shaft to drop down lower and bind in the gears. Make sure you use the correct gasket and use shims if necessary. I dont know if it would cause the shaft to get hot but do you think you may have an oil pump that is binding? The only other thing I can think of is the car is cursed. You may need the help of a priest to fix that problem.

CuttingEdgeRacing has a good possible reason also. I have seen people put the Dist in with out a gasket. That would allow the shaft to drop down lower and bind in the gears. Make sure you use the correct gasket and use shims if necessary. I dont know if it would cause the shaft to get hot but do you think you may have an oil pump that is binding? The only other thing I can think of is the car is cursed. You may need the help of a priest to fix that problem.

I THINK THE SHIMMING IS FIXED WE HAD A GASKET AND A SHIM BUT WE LOOKED AT THE GEAR ON THE SHAFT AND IT DIDNT LOOK RIGHT A FEW OF THE TEETH WERE WEARING FUNNY. IM GOING TO RUN A FEW LAPS THEN CHECK IT AGAIN. I THINK WE GOT ALL THE DEMONS OUT LAST RACE :lol: THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT ILL GET BACK WITH YALL. WE HAVE OUR LAST RACE NEXT WEEKEND.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived