Merrell wins Texas Pro Sedans race at Red River Speedway

NickHolt

Merrell wins Texas Pro Sedans race at Red River Speedway

By Mike Haag

Mike Merrell of Kingsland is one step closer to winning the Texas Pro Sedans championship after he won the 40-lap TPS race Saturday night at Red River Speedway in Wichita Falls.

Merrell, who has battled Tom Johnson of Kingsland for the points lead throughout the season, finished ahead of Johnson's Mustang as the two drivers dueled to the finish line at the quarter-mile asphalt oval. The margin of victory was 2.932 seconds.

It was Merrell's sixth victory this season for the VW Scirocco driver.

Josh Cournoyer of Wichita Falls in a Ford Pinto finished third, Bill Labarge of Bryan in a BMW was fourth and Tory Christopher of Universal City in a Toyota Celica took fifth.

Rounding out the top 10 in the 14-car starting field were Mike Wright, J.J. Osburn, Del Geil, Bruce Mabrito and Pete Wright.

Merrell, who entered the race five points ahead of Johnson in the point standings, now holds a six-point lead over Johnson going into the season finale race at Thunderhill Raceway on October 10.

Merrell will need a strong finish and will need to finish ahead of Johnson at the next race in order to clinch the TPS championship.

its a catch 22 ..not ozzy .s 22 thats easy ..lol sorry ozz .... on one hand i would like to see mike win ..he has run hard for it . and deserves it ......last year well ..but on the other hand .im tired of vw.s takeing the top spot .. and it has nothing to do with rules for those who may think thats where im going .so dont even go there .... im a pinto fan .not really a mustang fan .but .its a ford so i want a ford to get it .... so mike you and tom trade cars for the last race ..that way i will have it both ways ..

Archived