Jim's Condition

Nick, I am posting a new thread so that all those concerned may see it and not have to find it at the bottom of another thread.....thnx buddy

Ok all I do apologize for waiting so long to get an update out, but I wanted to have all the information I could get so that I was sure.

As you know Jim is in a hospital in San Antonio after a serious dwarf car accident last night at Shady Oaks. Jim right now has one dislocated shoulder and one broken shoulder. He currently does not have a lot of feeling in his extremities. As the doctors & nurses are telling us "we are still in the early stages" of this and it is too early to tell how severe the injuries are.

Jim is alert and talking to us, when the doctors will allow us into see him. He is already telling me what needs to be done next at the track to get ready for the next show. I will do my best to get the track the way he does!

After speaking to Laurie (Jim's wife), she has asked that friends, drivers, fans please be patient as to contacting them or wanting to come see him. As it was stated prior, we are still in the early stages of this and he needs all the rest he can get.

If any of you would like to send me emails that I can print up and bring to him and read to him, you certainly may. Email address is as follows:

info@shadyoakspeedway.com or brian@shadyoakspeedway.com

Brian McDevitt

Director of Competition

Shady Oaks Speedway

I want to thank you all for your concerns for Jim and I am going to have Laurie put together something today for all to read. I am sorry for such vague details, but this is at the request of Jim's wife. I will be heading back to Goliad today to take over Jim's daily track details so we can continue to race. Jim has told me over & over "THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!!".........

I want to thank you all for your concerns for Jim and I am going to have Laurie put together something today for all to read. I am sorry for such vague details, but this is at the request of Jim's wife. I will be heading back to Goliad today to take over Jim's daily track details so we can continue to race. Jim has told me over & over "THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!!".........

Whatever you need buddy, I am sure we can get it done somehow, by somebody.

Ok everyone as of today 12:15pm Brian called with the latest update!

Jim does have a broken shoulder and the other shoulder is dislocated. They have not worked on anything yet. . The neck and back injuries are obviously the most important and what they are focused on right now. He is stable and talking to his wife and doctors. Earlier Monday morning he complianted about his legs being asleep and feeling that crazy tiggling when like your leg is asleep. They soon started testing him starting at his feet area. He was able to feel pressure when the top and bottom of his feet were touched along with the knee cap. His forearms are starting to do the same. He is far from total recovery so please continue praying for him. This is about as much for details that can be realized right now until they know more. Brian also stated Jim's attitude today has been positive and he is already putting Brian to work to get everything as ready as possible. Just guessing but I imagine the next 48 hours will be very important. As of right now they are still taking no visitors until the doctors are finished with their plans of stablizing his problems. OK thats it for now but its going in the right direction and everyone continue doing what your doing!!!! Updates will be coming daily.....

I have spent the last two days with Jim in the hospital and now I am back at the track. Today was a HUGE step forward in the task of recovery. He started complaining about the tingling in his feet! The nurse did some tests on his feet as well as his legs and now he is starting to get the feeling back in those. He still cannot feel his hands but is getting feeling back in his upper forearm area. He is not moving his arms as of yet, but he can move his left leg and some of his right in small portions. He is being VERY strong & brave through this.

THis kinda sounds like his nerves are pinched in his neck which is from the swelling. Kinda like a football player getting a bad stinger and loses all the feeling below the neck. Swelling goes down, lets the pressure off the nerves and then the feeling comes back. I am only hoping this is what it is and nothing too serious. It's a simple injury that seems very bad at first, then it all gets better. I'm pulling for him like everyone else and just want him back at the track so I can pick on him some more. :) Someone has to keep the rest of you guys working the track in line. Brian, your big enough but theres only 1 of you, you need Jim's help. :) Just let him know that.

not to get on here and dispute trivial details, but this is more severe than a "stinger". global symptoms of the entire peripheral nervous system are indications of a spinal cord injury. stingers are just an irritaion of a particular nerve or nerve roots. that being said, reports of jim being able to feel tingling and pressure in his legs and/or feet are encouraging. which hospital is he at?

From the day our Dad gave Jim a mini-bike at around 11 years old, Jim caught 'the fever'. His move to Goliad has given him so much more than the dream of his life-time to own and operate a race track. It gave him a community of people who blew he and his family away with an outpouring of love, friendship and dedication - surpassing any he had experienced before. This love and friendship is evidenced here and I wanted to express my deepest appreciation to all of you for the love you continue to pour on him and Laurie and family. I know I speak for all of the family when I say this.

With hope and deepest thanks,

- his sister

Thoghts and prayers out to the family. GODSPEED to jim. hope to see you at the your track soon. we have been dealt a bad set of cards ourself. but really been looking forward getting down to your track. have heard nothing but great things about the complex we will be there for a benefit. Sportsmod 5

I can honestly say that some of my very dearest and loved friends are or were racers of some kind at some time. It appears that Jim and his family have captured the hearts of the local racing community and I sincerely hope and pray for his full recovery from this unfortunate accident. Friends rally around friends that are in need. God bless these folks as we need more like them.

From the day our Dad gave Jim a mini-bike at around 11 years old, Jim caught 'the fever'. His move to Goliad has given him so much more than the dream of his life-time to own and operate a race track. It gave him a community of people who blew he and his family away with an outpouring of love, friendship and dedication - surpassing any he had experienced before. This love and friendship is evidenced here and I wanted to express my deepest appreciation to all of you for the love you continue to pour on him and Laurie and family. I know I speak for all of the family when I say this.

With hope and deepest thanks,

- his sister

All I can say is you have one hell of a brother!, and I am proud to call him my friend. Get on back here "big Jim".

Jim does need to get back out here and be with us. But god is taking care of him while laying in the hospital bed. This for one has hit MOST teams that race out there and afar. Just hope that he makes it back better than ever. And BRIAN as of right now his RIGHT HAND MAN is doing a damn fine job of trying to get things together like Jim does.... With all this said TEAM LMR'S THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE OUT TO HIM AND HIS FAMILY!!!!!!

RECOVER FAST "BIG JIM" AS WE ALL NEED YOU FOR YEARS ON IN!!!!

11 PURE STOCK

LAST MINUTE RACING

Archived