PJ Egbert scores IMCA Modified win #100 @ Texas Thunder Speedway

Egbert etches name in IMCA Modified record book with 100th feature win

By J M Hallas

(July 23rd, 2009) To say the month of July has been exciting for the defending IMCA Modified National Champion would probably be an understatement. The 27 year old Copperas Cove, Texas native, P.J. Egbert was not only on the trail of his 100th career IMCA Modified win, but was eagerly awaiting the birth of his new son, Phil Egbert III(Trey).

On the track he calls home, P.J. Egbert began his quest for #100 chasing, one of many past track champions, Allan Essenburg at Texas Thunder Speedway on the Independence Day, coming up a little short. The following week it looked like victory was in hand when fate stepped in. Egbert, who was well on his way to the checkers, had the driveshaft fall out while leading the 20-lap feature. Finally Egbert achieved his goal, winning the feature on July 18th.

“Before the night started, I knew it would be the night,” replied Egbert. “I had to race wheel to wheel with my best friend Cham Savage for the heat race win. It was so close, that it could have been a tie. In the feature I had to race hard with Scooter Bates for the lead, once I got by I set sail for #100.”

“It really means a lot to me to win the 100th., The first one was great, but the 100th put me in a group of elite drivers, which means a great deal to my family and to me.”

Egbert comes from a long heritage of racing in the family. Frequently he races against cousins, Trevor and G.W. IV, and on occasion his dad Phil, George Egbert III(uncle), and step-brother, Colton Monroe in IMCA Stock Cars.

“My idol growing up was my grandpa George W. Egbert jr.(Grandpa Egg). His passion and love for the sport is why my family races. Racing against my family is tough, but it brings out the best in us. We’re that competitive against each other.”

“I probably race P.J. or Trevor harder than most,” commented G.W. “That’s because I know they’re not going to do anything bad. I’m not going to give them anything though. We race each other hard, but drive clean and with a great deal of respect for each other.”

Egbert’s march to the record books has been on fast track from his start in IMCA Stock Cars, notching 50 feature wins in five years. In 2003 the young hotshoe jumped into an IMCA Modified winning his first track championship, as well as the 2003 IMCA Modified Rookie of the Year. Since then he has pocketed four more track titles, three state championships, two regional crowns, capping it off with the IMCA Modified National honors in 2008.

Not to be overlooked are his girlfriend, Brittany McElroy and new son(PS3).

“My son and girlfriend mean more than anything in racing,” said the jubilant father. “Having them both there for my big win was pretty awesome.”

“Even my national title would be second on that list.” added Egbert. “I wasn’t planning on running much this year with my son on his way. Richard Shields(Triple Nickel Motorsports) gave me the opportunity to drive for him this year. Racing is expensive, and he gave me a deal I couldn’t refuse. He just wants to win races, and that’s what we do.”

“Only time will about my racing future. It just depends on whatever rides I can get.”

Certainly Egbert is a proven shoe and should have no problems finding rides. Plus, we can probably look for a new Egbert finding his way to the Winners Circle in 2025

Sponsors;

Triple Nickel Motorsports

Abilene Powder Coating

Pro Image Signs

Chassis;

Skyrocket

Engine;

Compliments of Rick Green Racing(a claim swap)

Archived