truck comparison

Mark Pinson

So what did all the truck guys think about the lap times. I told you guys it would be closer than you think. I personally think we could definitely run together with a little tweeking. The 55 is probaly are fastest truck, so you saw the quickest. We loved the track and look forward to running with you guys in the future. I hope some of your trucks will come race in Monroe,La when we get a final date. We will get together again sometime this year. We would like to test a THR also. The truck racers are the ones that make this happen. Without your support the tracks would never allow the testing. Everyone share your opinions.

It was said prior to the test this weekend in Houston that the USST Trucks were going to try some diffrent thing to even out the diffrences in the two truck class. What did each truck try? I would like to know the changes each of your USST truck made to make it more even between the two classes.

I think this is something that the two series can get worked out and it will be a win win situation for both classes.

J.C Umscheid

Well my truck weighed in at 3170 lbs. My times were right there with the Pro Trucks. The 55 was a bit faster, but he's going to be no matter what you do to him. I think that the trucks were pretty equal as it stands. The times were all within .8 seconds of each other. I think most guys would be happy adding a little weight, but were not much faster now.

I would also like to know what the leftside % your trucks ran, Track Width, Cant you guys run a quick change?

Why cant everyone run an 8" tire? wont they bolt up to your trucks? Im not trying to argue just want it to be fair for all involved.

J.C Umscheid

We are trying to allow all trucks to run together with as little cost as possible. We are already doing this in the Challenge Series races and were getting 25+ trucks. We run against all forms of trucks, even coilover trucks. If we went to 8" tires and you guys still raced at your current weight how fair would that be. I'm already spotting the Pro Trucks 390 .lbs. I would be interested in maybe a minimum weight of 3250 or so. We already run quick changes.You will not find many classes that qualify that close to each other. Our 10" tires are old ASA radial tires that already are used. We only pay $30 per tire. The #6 truck was right there with us. What makes his truck faster than the rest of the class? We are very happy about racing with you guys and if it works out, i wouldn't be surprised if 8-10 trucks would show up from USST to race.

Speaking for the 6 TRUCK we have been working very hard on set up and tire heat. I can drive the TRUCK in hard and that helps that little 602 keep rolling... I think your 3250 weight offer is great. Leave us with our tires and weight which is 2750 (Which no one can reach) I am at 2877. I would like the option of puting a 600 or 650 Holley on.

I still would like to see what your proposing sir......

Pro Truck Option-

Weight-

Tires-

Carb-

Leftside%-

USST option-

weight-

tires-

carb-

leftside%-

Until I see any of this I cant say what I think of it other than im glad to see The racers and the tracks wanting to work together to make this class better for next year!

Thanks

J.C

Pro Truck

Weight- 2750

Tires- 8" goodyear

Carb- Holley 500 or Holley 600 if approved by HMP

Leftside%- 55%

USST

Weight - 3250

Tires- 10" ASA takeoff or 10" Towel City recap

Carb - Only the 600 CFM carb "no exceptions"

Leftside% - 56%

I think this would make a pretty good race. Lets get everyone's opinion on this. Our goal is to not change anything on the Pro Trucks.

Pro Truck

Weight- 2750

Tires- 8" goodyear

Leftside%- 55%

USST

Weight - 3250

Leftside% - 56%

I think this would make a pretty good race. Lets get everyone's opinion on this. Our goal is to not change anything on the Pro Trucks.

NO Pro truck can get to 2750 lbs. Most are in the mid 2800's. Just my humble opinion, it looks like from what you are proposing it'll be a USST rout. Doesn't look like y'all are giving up much there....Remember, the USST trucks have a 50 HP advantage out of the box.

Pro Truck

Weight- 2750

Tires- 8" goodyear

Leftside%- 55%

USST

Weight - 3250

Leftside% - 56%

Why does a race vehicle with 50-100 more HP get a 1% more left side? I agree with Blue Moon 2750 is almost impossible for these Pro Trucks to get. But that the rul that is already intact so I understand where its coming from. I do think the left side needs to be the same or the lesser HP and 8" tires trucks needs to have a slight advantage as they are giving up alot of HP to the bigger motored trucks.

J.C Umscheid

Ok this will be the last time I post on this subject. We drove 6.5 hours to practice in Houston and help your truck counts. I have been throwing out numerous suggestions and only been shot down with complaints. How about the Pro Truck racers give some suggestions. Remember the 6 was faster than me and the rest of the field was only .2 seconds slower. We are running on old tires that already have 150 laps on them. You guys are running on new rubber. We are giving all the effort and only recieving complaints. I would love to see this work but I'm done trying to give suggestions or take up for our trucks. We have an average of 15 trucks at every race. I'm offering trucks to race with the Pro Trucks, but I'm tired of getting negative feedback. If you want better truck counts figure something out. We will be waiting!! I'm not willing to run 54% left side and fight an ill handling truck for 30 laps. I am willing to add weight. And is 400 .lbs not an advantage. Were .2 seconds off running our current weight.

Ok this will be the last time I post on this subject. We drove 6.5 hours to practice in Houston and help your truck counts. I have been throwing out numerous suggestions and only been shot down with complaints. How about the Pro Truck racers give some suggestions. Remember the 6 was faster than me and the rest of the field was only .2 seconds slower. We are running on old tires that already have 150 laps on them. You guys are running on new rubber. We are giving all the effort and only recieving complaints. I would love to see this work but I'm done trying to give suggestions or take up for our trucks. We have an average of 15 trucks at every race. I'm offering trucks to race with the Pro Trucks, but I'm tired of getting negative feedback. If you want better truck counts figure something out. We will be waiting!! I'm not willing to run 54% left side and fight an ill handling truck for 30 laps. I am willing to add weight. And is 400 .lbs not an advantage. Were .2 seconds off running our current weight.

DAMN Dude chill out.......I wasnt complaining and like I said in a previous post I am glad the two are trying to get together. I was just replying to your post, I guess Im not allowed to have an opinion or at least express it becuase i might hurt your feelings. Im sorry.

Usually The #42, #6 and #36 can run in the 90's at HMP. But a 90 is a long ways from a 70 and didnt the 55 go a 50? The horse power and 10inch tire is critical. Thats what helps even the mods out is you can build whatever you want for HP but you have to hook that 8" tire up. And ill say this again not trying to argue with you just trying to discuss, sorry you having a bad day or that I may have pissed you off but just chill out!!

J.C Umscheid

Mark,

We would love to have y'all race with us, however I don't think anyone wants the current Pro Trucks to be the USST whipping boy. Here are some ideas/questions: Why not bolt a two barrel carb to the 604 Crate or use a restrictor plate?

Your trucks have more adjustiblility built in and longer wheel bases: Why not lower left side %, stay on the 10" tires and see what's happens?

At THR the last race, the entire field was within 4 tenths if my memory serves. if the USST trucks can get in the range of the fastest Pro Trucks then we have a race, but if the USST trucks are 3-5 tenths faster than say the 6 and 42, then we are just roadblocks and that ain't fun for ANYBODY.

We do appreciate y'all coming to HMP, and I would love to see us run together with 25 truck fields at several tracks. I just think that the Pro Truck guys do not want to be field fillers as I'm sure y'all would not want to be.

The 55 races for a living so he's going to be fast in anything you put him in. He weighed 3050, you add another 200.lbs he's going to be slower. His time was 15.717

The 41 weighed 2994. You add 256 .lbs hes going to be a lot slower. His time was 16.176

The 1 weighed 3170. You add 80 .lbs I'm going to be slower. My time was 16.050

The 31 weighed 3140. You add 10 .lbs His time was 15.88

This is all based on the proposed 3250 weight limit. When you add 200 .lbs to the 55 and limit him to 56% left side he will be slower.

thanks for comming down it really sucked that it rained and im only 3 hours from the track but what can you do. i do know alot about slowing a truck down, just not on purpose so my oppinion probably would not do much good. i hope ya'll can slow your trucks down and we can speed mine up. sounds like a great plan to me.

THANKS AGAIN and hope to see ya's soon.

The 55 races for a living so he's going to be fast in anything you put him in. He weighed 3050, you add another 200.lbs he's going to be slower. His time was 15.717

The 41 weighed 2994. You add 256 .lbs hes going to be a lot slower. His time was 16.176

The 1 weighed 3170. You add 80 .lbs I'm going to be slower. My time was 16.050

The 31 weighed 3140. You add 10 .lbs His time was 15.88

This is all based on the proposed 3250 weight limit. When you add 200 .lbs to the 55 and limit him to 56% left side he will be slower.

So maybe I miss understood. What was the left sides on these trucks this past weekend? Where they over 56%?

Thanks

JC

JC,

He may have been talking about me... I had asked some questions prior to them coming about their 604's, rebuilds and etc...

I know we could shed 30 lbs off of Davids truck, but it is going to stay on! :D (not his belly either...)

Seriously, I think 650's on the pro trucks would wake them up. Our Spec truck had a 650 on it w/ a Gen I 602 Crate. Of course it was a powerglide with direct-drive.

What are the rules on the 650's?

I know we could shed 30 lbs off of Davids truck, but it is going to stay on! :D (not his belly either...)

OWWWWW!!!!

Is that OHHHHH, OUCHHHH, WOWWWWW or i can't believe he went there?

Ok, again seriously... I don't have a truck at this point, but I would love to see the Texas trucks run as they are, put a little weight on the USST and allow the Texas Truck to run the 650 Carb. When Mark said that their truck wouldnt like the 500cfm two barrel I didnt understand, I believe it was something about cam swapping, but correct me?

Thanks again Mark for making the haul and making the effort to try to bring some common ground for the trucks to run together. Hopefully we will have one of ours done soon and maybe we can run the Dodge with the 360 Crate up in your neck of the woods with ya'll.

Mark

Archived