pro-stock / hobby stock

Del Harris

just a thought, nothing in concrete,

i would like to have your thoughts about a pro-stock / hobby stock 602 crate class on dirt? what do you think and leave it to these classes only at this time, remember, this is just a thought and i would like some honest input. no arguing, no fighting about how they should be built and nothing about rules, just your thoughts about pro=stock or hobby stock dirt class with 602 crate. thanks for your input, i will be using this info. for future thoughts, thanks again, del harris :ph34r:

I like something that I can work on. If a lifter goes bad why do I want to have to pull the engine,send it off,wait a week or two for it to come back? Not too mention ya gotta have a spare if ya don't want to miss a night.When you put a good ole #2 to a big chief tablet it doesn't look cost effective for the average weekend racer.

If you have it as a option is fine as long as it it straight up no special breaks cause that opens up a whole new sack of worms

thanks jumbo, this is some of what were asking. opt. 1 602 crate, opt. 2 ? :unsure:

p.s. you can buy a used 602 crate for between $1500 to $2000, you cannot build the same hp for that same money, jmo

Edited by pro2000racing

Dont take this the wrong way, however, I wished the people that are supporters of the crate motors do a little research. Read the article that Matt Kenseth wrote for Speedway Illustrated regarding the crate motors. I have no problems with the crate motors if there would be more teching that would take place. You get a somewhat inexpensive motor, but those who are smart can circumvent the safegards that are in place that would keep it "legal." The last thing that I was informed was that GM is no longer making the crate motor bolts.

Dont take this the wrong way, however, I wished the people that are supporters of the crate motors do a little research. Read the article that Matt Kenseth wrote for Speedway Illustrated regarding the crate motors. I have no problems with the crate motors if there would be more teching that would take place. You get a somewhat inexpensive motor, but those who are smart can circumvent the safegards that are in place that would keep it "legal." The last thing that I was informed was that GM is no longer making the crate motor bolts.

NO PROB. you can find em all over the web.You'd be surprised what all you come up with by doing a search on BOLTS FOR SEALED CHEVY CRATE ENGINE.

I found one article that was written by Keith Dorton that states he had a friend that was making good money making the bolts.

Edited by jumbo

there is a seal that goes over the bolt with a i.d. cap like hmp uses, this might stop the honest people, but reguardless of what motor, your still going to have cheaters, and your right, it's only as good as your tech man and he is only as good as the director that hires him, if a promotor allows cheating, then thats what you get. myself, personally, it's the same in tech as to what you allow out on the track, "favortizm" for a driver to be a real winner, let him/her earn it!!!

i really just want some input on a class with opt.1 and opt.2, trying to have a class that has an option of where they want to run and be within the rules of each track. if most track owners would come together with a set of rules in our area, then everybody would have a chance to run where ever they want, in Texas, there has always been a problem with tracks trying to fix the rules, so that the cars could only run their track, i find this to be the wrong approach, in other states, the track owners all meet, get there heads together on rules and schedules, and try to make it where all have good car counts, this practice is only good for everyone. if you get a chance, look up some of the tracks around kansas, mo., ohio, and so on, see how close these tracks are to each other, and then look at their car count, it will amaze you.

this information i want would be good for asphalt and dirt cars, so if you don't mind, please give me your input on these classes, thanks, del

i'm not looking for any sanctions or series, looking at options in one class for the 602 crate or opt. 2 motor!

Del, no offense.......but coming up with yet another class of cars is NOT what short track racing needs, especially right now.

There's only so many drivers, so much money to be invested, etc. that adding more classes only saturates an already struggling passtime.

Tracks should be trying to come with common classes instead of "select track" only classes.

JMO....

Edited by rebelracewriter

Del, no offense.......but coming up with yet another class of cars is NOT what short track needs, especially right now.

There's only so many drivers, so much money to be invested, etc. that adding more classes only saturates an already struggling passtime.

Tracks should be trying to come with common classes instead of "select track" only classes.

JMO....

IMCA :rolleyes:

You need to look at Circle Track magazine back issues for articles entitled "The Crate Debate".

We ran NASCAR Whelen L/M series in PA. They run ASA L/M rules, but allow built motors in addition to the 604 crate. They have 28 - 40 cars / nite. HMP runs NASCAR Whelen L/M series using ASA rules, but no built motors. They get 10 - 15 cars / nite. How many Romco/USRA cars do you think would come out of mothballs if they added built motors.

BTW, that's the only way ProMods (at the same track) can get enough cars. They actually have 3 motor options.

You need to look at Circle Track magazine back issues for articles entitled "The Crate Debate".

We ran NASCAR Whelen L/M series in PA. They run ASA L/M rules, but allow built motors in addition to the 604 crate. They have 28 - 40 cars / nite. HMP runs NASCAR Whelen L/M series using ASA rules, but no built motors. They get 10 - 15 cars / nite. How many Romco/USRA cars do you think would come out of mothballs if they added built motors.

BTW, that's the only way ProMods (at the same track) can get enough cars. They actually have 3 motor options.

Take the pro mod motor rules and add them to the Late Models. That would be pretty damn good. It would bring out a lot more cars. I really like that idea Hray, I don't care what everone says about you, you have some good ideas!!! :lol::lol:

not looking to add any more classes, just make an option with the cars that run dirt in the hobby class because some cars are sitting, because the owners say they cannot afford the motors, if the 602 was an option, for $1500.00, these guy's could be racing again. when hrh opens back for next season, i was doing the rules and wanted input as to options for engines, i'm not trying to make new classes, just trying to help the ones we have, if all the tracks would bring their rules to more of a conforming group and have the classes schedule to run 3 on 1 off, then you would see more cars at more tracks in each class, i hope all of this makes sence? we tried this a few years back and it worked very well, i don't know why it changed, except that some track owners and/or track management changed.

Edited by pro2000racing

Take the pro mod motor rules and add them to the Late Models. That would be pretty damn good. It would bring out a lot more cars. I really like that idea Hray, I don't care what everone says about you, you have some good ideas!!! :lol::lol:

Sometimes even a blind hog roots up an acorn. :rolleyes::blink:

not looking to add any more classes, just make an option with the cars that run dirt in the hobby class because some cars are sitting, because the owners say they cannot afford the motors, if the 602 was an option, for $1500.00, these guy's could be racing again. when hrh opens back for next season, i was doing the rules and wanted input as to options for engines, i'm not trying to make new classes, just trying to help the ones we have, if all the tracks would bring their rules to more of a conforming group and have the classes schedule to run 3 on 1 off, then you would see more cars at more tracks in each class, i hope all of this makes sence? we tried this a few years back and it worked very well, i don't know why it changed, except that some track owners and/or track management changed.

I actually think it's a good idea, but you're probably going to have to make some weight adjustments to keep the car equal. The more options the racer has the better.

Del I think it would be a great idea to allow the 602. Had a 602 with 41 races and it is still going strong w/ no rebuild. Sure every motor can have an issue but for the most part you have to do nothing to them. For those who think there will be a 10k 602 put a $1500 and swap clause regardless if you have a built motor or a crate. The likelyhood of a claim taling place is small because the claim is a little high but there would be a safe guard none the less. JMO the 602 will work well in a hobby it will catch on with time because it is just to affordable, and with this economy that is good for the racer.

• 1 month later...

thanks brad, i appreciate your input on this subject. i plan to implament this information at the hot rod hill rules meeting for the 2010 season. i will be announcing the date for the meeting here soon as i would like to have the rules done by this seasons end.

i would also like the lmods to have the same option as this would be the most affordable way for racers to compete with our economy the way it is. this would also make it easy for racers to run dirt on their off nights from asphalt or try asphalt on their nights off from dirt. i would like to think that we can come together rule wise in our area tracks and work to have a schedule that the owners and racers have more options without more expence. i said we, i meant, the tracks in our area ( being, hrh, hrp, gator, thr, cc, hmp, or texas in general.

i would also like to have something like the ECO class the you started for a mini class, it seems to be the easiest to tech and the least expensive to build, i can see it has taken off pretty well.

i am leanning towards only 5 classes with 1 visiting alternate and possibly 3 on 1 off, to start the 2010 season, i would love to have another track that would want to take 10 classes and split them into 2 groups, the other track run 1 group and i would run the other group on the same night and then next week we would swap, have 1 point fund for both tracks, kinda like gator, hrp, and beaumont are doing with the mods. i guess, you never know what will work, until you try!!!

thanks again brad and i need more input on this matter before i have my rules meeting from anyone that will honestly give their opinion, please don't be just negitive, give me an honest answer, thanks again, del harris hrh/mgr.

p.s. you may address any or all answers on the new hrh forum on this site!!!

Edited by Del Harris