Question for the computer experts

txtom

I am planning to put a lot of historical racing related stories to paper, and keeping my lack of typing speed and skills in mind, I wanted to know if any of you out there have any experience with the "Talk to Text" computer programs. It would be far quicker for me to talk and have the computer do all the other work.

Any thoughts or recommendations on particular programs, pro or con?

And Nick or Rebel Jay, Next time I see either of ya'll, I want to see what is involved in using those voice recorders you use.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom....you lazy boy :lol::lol: There are talk to text programs available......I looked into them years ago because my typing skills suck too......At that time they were somewhat pricey, and difficult for a computer dummy(me) to understand. So I just learned to tough it out.....I'm sure nowdays there are easier/cheaper ones out there.

I just use an inexpensive tape recorder from Wally World after the one Chuck donated to me crapped out. It works great as long as some dummy(me) remembers to keep fresh batteries in it. I still have to transcribe it to text though.

Tom,

I use a Radio Shack Digital Voice Recorder (WS210S). It creates audio files that I can download to a computer. Those are the ones you hear on the front page of Lone Star Speedzone.

It works OK, but if you use it in the wind it picks up a lot of wind noise. I made a little wind muffler that I put over the mic opening that helps.

Nick

I used to know a person who used it, but my information is old.

Dragon, Naturally Speaking was recognized as the software of choice. Supposedly the speaking was not that natural - for recognition to happen you had to speak in a very structured, repetitive style. I hear the software has gotten much better since then.

Archived