Bobby Allison and the Mercury he won the 1971 600 with

NickHolt

Here's a very recent pic of Bobby Allison, Grand Marshal for the historic 50th running of the Coca-Cola 600, with the actual 1969 Mercury Cyclone he drove to victory in the 1971 Coca-Cola 600 at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in Concord, N.C..

post-3-1243217702.jpg

photo by Worth Canoy

One of the truly nice guys in racing, and he passed that trait down to Davey and Clifford, and also his Protege Neil Bonnet.

And how about that car. Most of the guys racing these days would crap on themselves if they had to run that car at Talladega at 195 on the tires they ran back then.

You're right, wasn't anything wrong with those tires. But can you see most of the current crop of nascar drivers racing on them without a bunch of whining? Or driving with the amount of downforce an old Torino or Cyclone had like that one Allison drove?

awesome! he still looks like he could do it. ........damn sure looks like he wants to.

the kind that go right under your chin with chalked numbers in a mug shot. not that i would know 1st hand, just what i've been told.

pm me or call me if you still have the #.

i was at lunch when i posted earlier and didn't have alot of time. but i can hear bobby allisons say one word on t.v. from another room and know who it is, then come running to stare and listen in awe. in my book he is a VERY VERY great man.thanX for the picture nick.

The Real Stock Car Days

The photo from Nick above illustrates a time when Stock Car Racing was at it's best when manufacturers designed the bodies, furnished support, and picked the best darn drivers that could hold a foot down, and drive them stockers!

I miss those days! :rolleyes:

i have a 68 merc. cyclone body that i would like to reconstruct into a replica of either allisons car or parsons, i need a spec sheet about the role cage, suspention, fuel cell, and running gear. if anyone has or can get me this info, i would greatly appreciate it, thanks, del harris 281-808-5475 pro2000racing@yahoo.com

thanks nick, i wish that i had the info. to contact him, i mentioned parson also, but i ment cale yarbrough, i have a few pic's of cales 27 car, but i don't have any spec.'s. the body i have is a true 68 cyclone, it is not in good enough shape to build for the road, but would make a great pro stock or street stock to bring back some great memories. provided i can get the info. i need, i am going to build this car, thanks, del

p.s. if anyone has any info. that i can use, please help, it would be well appreciated!!!

Del call (704)583-2888, tell them what you are doing and I'd bet they can help you better than anyone, since they built the car. I talked to Johnny up there and the spec sheets they had in the shop were thrown away, but Lee will be back next week and he may be able to help you with it. If Ralph were still around, he could tell you off the top of his head. Bobby's memory is not really good anymore, I know he would help you for sure if he could. Call next week after tuesday and ask for Lee Holman.

thanks, mfbarnes, by the way, how have you been doing? haven't had a chance to talk with you lately. just wondering if you were able to ever find some of dad's ole pic's from meyer or navasota? holler at me when you get a chance, thanks again, del harris

p.s. thanks to txtom for the info. on the web site, all of you guy's are the greatest for helping, it must be in our nature!!!

• 2 weeks later...

:) I was only a kid when Bobby drove for my dad, but in later years he always seemed to be a really nice guy. Davey and Donnie's son Kenny were also extremely nice, down to earth guys. Although I raced some against Clifford, I really didn't ever meet him.

Attached are some pictures of my dads car with Bobby at the wheel. Two are from West Palm Beach, Florida and the other is from Montgomery, Alabama. This is the same car that we ran a few times in the Liberty Bell at Meyers with Tampa's Bill Roynon and West Monroe's Royce Whitlock. My dad still has the trophy in the photo. I think it was won in 1966.

post-2867-1245352821.jpg

post-2867-1245352844.jpg

post-2867-1245352833.jpg

jakdad, yes Donnie drove Supers/Skeeters as well. Bobby only drove for my dad a few times, but Donnie drove his car quite a bit. All of this happened in the 60's. All three of the photo's above are from the mid-60's. The car was a little bit more modern when we ran the Liberty Bell in the 70's. My dad still has Sprint Cars that he runs today, he's been at it since he was 14 or 15, and he'll be 71 later this year!!! A few years back, Ricky Otts drove for him at Mobile in a USCS race. Quite a few memories, both good and bad, along the way.

• 3 months later...

Archived