Pics of USST Trucks at Iowa Speedway

Mark Pinson

I've posted some pics of the Challenge Series races organized by the USST. There were 25 trucks from 12 different states. There was 2 ARTS trucks that attended, I believe they were from up north. All trucks need to try and make these races, they are top notch tracks. As you can see from the pics it was an unbelievable experience. I can't wait till Bristol on Aug 1. We ran with the ASA Midwest tour and Nascar Camping World East/West Series. Steve Cooper and I were the only trucks from TX to run on the 7/8 mile. So here are the pics. There was 25,000 fans cheering the entire time. We need to work on getting some races in Houston. I am posting a link to the USST website. http://www.usstracing.com/

Mark Pinson

post-3-1242788259.jpg

post-3-1242788321.jpg

post-3-1242788332.jpg

post-3-1242788349.jpg

post-3-1242788366.jpg

post-3-1242788382.jpg

post-2976-1242784129.jpg

post-2976-1242784153.jpg

post-2976-1242784196.jpg

What are the purses like and what would you have to do to a Pro Truck to A. Be legal and B. to be competitive?

AW HELL DO I SMELL ANOTHER ROAD TRIP IN THE NEAR FUTHER...................IF SO I'M IN THERE LIKE SWIM SWEAR....... :lol::lol: LET'S GO

First the rules, USST had a rules meeting with all the top teams in Iowa and proposed a new rule setting to equalize all trucks. This ranges from ARTS trucks to tube chassis coilover trucks. The goal "which i believe we have reached" is to get all trucks together throughout the country to meet 5-6 times at Nascar level tracks like Iowa Speedway and Bristol. The fans love a good truck race and we can give them this, when we have 20-30 trucks show up. ASA wanted a concrete set of rules for all trucks to run by and Eric Caudell, ASA and the rest of USST staff agreed on the rules submitted. I will post the rules soon or you can get them at the usstracing.com website. The website has not be updated yet with the new rules. There is a difference between the USST North, South and Challenge Series rules. I believe with the 302 crate you would weighs around 2700 lbs. and the others start at 3000 lbs. My truck weighs 3180 lbs. I hope I didn't confuse anyone. There are about 6-8 trucks from Wichita Falls that would love to come race with the Pro Trucks at either Houston or Kyle. You guys need to talk to the owners if you would like us to come visit. We would like to have a USST/LMST vs. Pro Trucks race at some point. We just need to agree on how much weight we need to add. Now back to Iowa, the leaders had an average speed of close to 127 mph and a top speed of 150 mph. It felt 3 times faster than that and I wasn't one of the leaders. The Iowa race was $275 to start and paid $1500-$2000 depending on truck count for the winner . If 30 trucks show up it's $2000. I would like to see 40 trucks to start the Bristol race and thats very possible. I know of 8 more trucks from TX that will be attending the Bristol race. I hope we have a good truck count so they will put us on the schedule next year also.

The 10" hoosier 1070 is mandatory for all Challenge Series races. They are $125 tire and you can't find a better tire. When your running tracks like Iowa, Nashville and Bristol you want the best tire you can get for safety and performance reasons. The USST South runs on a ASA takeoff tire and it runs $30. The LMST runs on a recap tire that runs $80. When there's 30 trucks on the track everyone's competitive. Of course your going to have dominant trucks, it's that way in every series. Some of these guys race these tracks all the time in Late Models or other traveling series. There was several racers in Iowa that choose to run the Challenge Series in the truck instead of their ASA Late Model. That say's something about truck racing.

Hello, Bristol here we come.....if we can get a good weight limit and that will help th 602 motor run at that half mile track... Also the PRO TRUCK drivers are will to work with the trucks across the border and that means we could run for a thousand everytime at HMP and THR.... we would also look forward to coming back to yall's tracks and the new track in Ft. Worth. The Yellow 6 Team is ready to help in any way possible D. L. Wilson (254)717-3652

Hello, Bristol here we come.....if we can get a good weight limit and that will help th 602 motor run at that half mile track... Also the PRO TRUCK drivers are will to work with the trucks across the border and that means we could run for a thousand everytime at HMP and THR.... we would also look forward to coming back to yall's tracks and the new track in Ft. Worth. The Yellow 6 Team is ready to help in any way possible D. L. Wilson (254)717-3652

D.L., Upon some further research, the USST trucks are allowed to run a 604 crate with a 750 cfm carb. With our crate, we would be 50hp short from the get go. We are seriously thinking about running there too, but I sure don't want to drag our truck to Tenn. just to be a back marker.

Mark, could you give us some clarification...such as: what weight catagory to our trucks fall in, is there some place to pre-tech before we go, how many USST trucks are running the 604 crate....

I'm working on getting the rules posted. The series has both 603 and 604 weight breaks. I believe there was a 250 .lb weight break for the 603 which is the smaller engine of the two. There are so many trucks running so many different engines, thats what makes the series so unique. In Iowa USST realized the coilover trucks were to light. I believe that the coilover trucks will be adding some weight to make them more equal in the future. Thats the good thing in my opinion that the series is trying to make all trucks equal as we go. Adding lead is the cheapest way to make trucks equal.

We love the 602 crate I think that's what you mean (603). Yea we would like to run there with this motor but like others we do not want to get lapped or get in the way. Also most or all of trucks are ARTS or full frame trucks and 10 bolt rearends. My team would go just for the time of our life but again we are racers and we want to compete..... Thanks D L

We love the 602 crate I think that's what you mean (603). Yea we would like to run there with this motor but like others we do not want to get lapped or get in the way. Also most or all of trucks are ARTS or full frame trucks and 10 bolt rearends. My team would go just for the time of our life but again we are racers and we want to compete..... Thanks D L

There is a 603 Crate. It has 5 more hp than the 602.

When 25-30 trucks start a race, fast trucks will get lapped. There is a lucky dog rule. There are several full frame trucks racing. I have a stock stub chassis. Its tube right before the rearend. There is a 603 crate. You won't notice 5 h.p.

I know I'm fixing to get hate mail again, but the crates are under rated in GM/Chevy Hp/Torque numbers. I need to relook at the pdf again but it seemed that the coilover truck with 604 has a huge advantage power to weight. Also limiting the cam at valve to .500 with 1.6 means cam lift is .312 It's nice to be able to use 1.6's but Pro Trucks have a .333 on 1.5 which is .4995 so they cant use the 1.6... Also, who is sealing your crates? What are the restrictions on the rebuilds?If the playing field is going to be level and pro trucks are going to run, their set up is going to have to be spot on or it's over... Motor wise the 604 and the 360 Magnum are going to kill us!

(on edit:) Mark by 5hp not making a difference I'm assuming you mean the extra money spent on the 603?

Most of the 603 and 604 crate engines are in the coilover trucks, so they have to weigh a ton. Now if someone put a crate in a big spring truck that's a different story. Everyone I asked said the south Pro Trucks would be very close with the right setup. It's hard to find the right setup in such a short time. There trying to get more challange races in the south so we can run on tracks were more familiar with.

I'm guessing it's not good news since we are riding on ASA shirt tails. I put calls in to the promotors, but Eric usually doesn't call till late. I will post as soon as I get the news.

I'm wondering if the Trucks will be going to Nashville Speedway too. It would be cool to be there with the Camping World Trucks.

Archived