Richard Petty & 200 Wins

Will anyone ever break Richard Petty's record of 200 wins in the Cup series. In my opinion I think NO. What about David Pearson and his 105 wins. Will anybody ever break his 105 wins. I am going to say NO on this also. Just wondering what everyone else thinks about this..........................I saw an article in the newspaper that Kyle Busch said he wants to break Richard Petty's record of 200 wins. I believe little Busch can keep dreaming because I do not think this is ever going to happen.

It's unlikely Pearson's record will be broken, and almost a sure bet that Richard Petty's won't be. The drivers only have 36 chances a year to win now. When Petty and Pearson were duking it out, they could run over a hundred races a year if they wanted to go to the trouble. Today's drivers will get too old to win (Mark Martin notwithstanding) long before they win that many. Say some new hot shoe came along now and started racing in Sprint Cup next season. He (or she) would have to win every Cup race for nearly three years to catch Pearson and twice that to catch Petty. But winning ten times in one year is difficult and a driver would have to do that for ten years just to catch Pearson. Figure most drivers won't race at that level longer than 20 years and it gets tough.

On the other hand, someone asked Petty when Dale Earnhardt was still alive if he though Dale would break his record of Cup titles. Richard's answer was that he thought Earnhardt had already broken his record because it is so much harder to win these days than it was in Richard's day. He always felt he had about four or five guys to beat, but the competition is a lot tougher now. Stop and think about how many drivers in Sprint Cup can win a race now; it's a lot more than five.

Kyle Bush could win that many race's total(NASCAR), but no one will do it in cup ONLY. Gee, and he even said he want's to do just that.

He said he wanted to win 200 races between the trucks,nationwide and cup all added together.Like him or hate him the boy can drive!!!!!!!

I don't see it happening, two reasons, Petty won many races when the series ran 50-60 races every year. More importantly, The King had at that time big sponsorship and factory backing when the rest of the field raced like most of us out of pocket. If you really look at the results, Petty's wins became more scarce in the late 70's when Jr Johnson, Bud Moore and the Gardners got good backing and good drivers in their cars.

Someone may get to Pearson but in this day and age and more young drivers with so much technology, Petty is safe with the 200.

petty's mark is probably safe, but jeff gordon has 81 wins. so he can probably break pearsons record if he doesnt retire anytime soon. then again with the current competition in nascar, it would be tough to win 24 wins to tie that mark. unless they get going real good like carl edwards, jimmie johnson and kyle busch have been doing the past couple of years.

Have to agree with outlaw. These guy raced 2 sometimes 3 times a week. A large majority of the time when the Pettys rolled thru the gate, everyone else knew they were racing for second. Kyle can break the 200 win record but it will have to be a total of the top 3 series. Think of it though, if Petty was active in more than just the Grand National division back then, wow, how many wins would he have now?

Archived