IHRA announces broadcast team for 2004

For Immediate Release

419-660-4225

IHRA ANNOUNCES 2004 BROADCAST TEAM FOR HOOTERS IHRA DRAG RACING SERIES ON SPEED CHANNEL

NORWALK, Ohio (March 9, 2004) – The International Hot Rod Association (IHRA) and Clear Channel Entertainment – Motor Sports announced today that an all new broadcast team will handle play by play, color and pit reporting for the 2004 Hooters IHRA Drag Racing series on SPEED Channel. IHRA veteran announcer Ken Stout will continue as play by play, newcomer Johnny Rocca will handle the color and current USHRA Monster Jam Superstar and former WWF and WCW Champion, Madusa will report on the pit and lifestyle action.

The Hooters IHRA Drag Racing Series will again be produced by Anita Hallman and HallBrook Productions.

Returning from the 2003 broadcast team, Ken Stout has been announcing motor sports events, including coverage of USHRA Monster Truck events, drag racing, off-road racing and boat racing for over ten years. This year, Stout will also work as pit reporter for the ASA and Champion Off Road Racing Series (CORR), as host of the CORR Sportsman Series and the IHBA Drag Boat Series, all on SPEED Channel. He has also been a regular contributor to ESPN’s "Speedworld".

"Its great to be back for a second year with IHRA," said Stout. "With HallBrook returning as the production company in 2004, it will make us a well-oiled machine from the first event. Just like a race team, you create relationships and build experience by bringing the same team back year after year. I feel like we laid the groundwork last season and the nucleus of the show has been established.

"I look forward to working with Monster Jam Superstar Madusa and Johnny Rocca, a seasoned Pro Modified driver. I feel like we will continue to raise the bar."

Former Pro Modified racer Johnny Rocca will serve as color commentator on the IHRA broadcasts. Rocca, a successful business owner from the Washington, D.C. area, has been involved with drag racing for over 40 years and is considered one of the most colorful figures in the sport.

"I am really excited about being part of the team," said Rocca. "I think I can bring ‘behind the scenes knowledge’ to the program with my extended background in the sport. I know most of the IHRA team and racers and this will give me the opportunity to stay involved in drag racing but from a different vantage point. I know what it’s like to be in the racecar, and when something happens on the track, I can tell the audience what is really happening. If a car or driver reacts a certain way, I know why he’s doing that. I intend to bring this insight to the fans.

"I think it’s a marvelous opportunity for me; I guess there is life after racing after all."

Monster Jam Superstar Madusa will be the pit reporter for the Hooters IHRA Drag Racing Series.

An international sports star most recently of Monster Truck fame, Madusa began her career in professional wresting and is a multiple-time world champion in both the World Wrestling Federation and World Championship Wrestling. She has been driving monster trucks since 1999 and competes on the USHRA Monster Jam circuit.

"I’m looking forward to presenting the IHRA show in a new light," said Madusa. "Fans can expect to see something new and rejuvenating, fun and off the wall. I am an adrenaline junky and my enthusiasm tends to rub off on others. It should help bring out a lot of the personality from the drivers and hopefully bring the event to life on television".

Reflecting on the team, IHRA President Bill Bader commented, "SPEED Channel is the fastest-growing sports cable network and the only 24-hour cable network devoted exclusively to motor sports and the human fascination with speed. The network’s commitment is testimony to our six years of growth and the commitment Hooters has made as our series sponsor."

Archived