Texas Super Racing Series returns to Corpus

Texas Super Racing Series returns to Corpus

by Mike Haag, San Antonio Express-News

After nearly a four-year absence from racing at Corpus Christi Speedway, the Texas Super Racing Series Late Model Series returns to the quarter-mile ‘bullring' on Saturday night.

“I'm thrilled to be able to go back to Corpus Christi,” said Mary Ann Naumann, TSRS founder and owner. “I have always liked the little ‘Bullring.' It can be a little intimidating for the drivers and given the right respect, it's a fun track to watch a race there.”

Corpus Christi Speedway, better know as the ‘Bullring' in the South Texas racing community, has a reputation of being a fast, but challenging quarter-mile asphalt oval. The last time the TSRS Late Models visited the speedway was April 23, 2005. Jamie Fuller won that event.

On Saturday night, the TSRS Late Models and the newly acquired Allison Legacy Series will compete for the first and only time this season at the track.

The Late Models will compete in a 75-lap race and the Allison Legacy Series will compete in a 50-lap main event. The gates open at 6 p.m., qualifying for both series begins at 7 p.m. and the feature races start at 8 p.m.

“I see a different kind of excitement with the staff, officials and the teams that have already pre-registered,” Naumann said. “This will be the first time the series has been away from our home track this season and for the Allison Legacy Series, I think it is going to be extremely exciting for them because it will be the first time that they will really be a part of the TSRS.”

Naumann, also the owner and promoter of Thunderhill Raceway in Kyle, said a new sense of excitement and enthusiasm has been developed with both series since she acquired the Allison Legacy Series late last year.

“I know that it is a huge part of Thunderhill by having the TSRS there and adding the Allison Legacy Series too,” Naumann said. “Bringing on the TSRS Allison Legacy Series has been a new branching that to me has put a little more excitement in the series.”

Naumann said she is pleased with the way the TSRS Late Model season has started. After two races there are two different winners on circuit. Robert Barker won the season opener on March 14 and Cody Smith won the last race on March 28. Both races were held at Thunderhill.

“No one is dominating this year,” Naumann said. “I think we are going to see some good side-by-side and good, hard racing. A lot of cars are competitive with each other, and they are not separated.”

Despite a struggling economy, the two series are drawing decent car counts. The Late Models are averaging 17 cars per race and the Allison Legacy almost 14.

“I think that because of the way we've scheduled the races that we try to give the teams enough time in between (events),'' she said. “And what they have done is budgeted it out where they can afford to run with us.”

Saturday's race marks the third stop on the TSRS circuit. In addition to the Corpus Christi and Thunderhill, the series' home-based track, the TSRS Late Models will also be racing at Houston Motorsports Park Speedway and at Red River Speedway in Wichita Falls in 2009.

“I think it's wonderful for the series that we have four different tracks where we compete,” Naumann said. “I think the reputation that the series has had and the consistency that it has had, has played an important part of why the tracks want the series to be there.”

Barker enters Saturday's 75-lap TSRS Late Model race with a narrow five-point lead over Bobby Teer Jr. in the series standings. Smith is 39 points back in third, followed by rookies Jeff O'Neill and Kendall Bumbera, who are fourth and fifth respectively. Only 66 points separate the top five drivers in the standings.

“I think once the drivers start seeing the different tracks where they are going to be racing, then they will get more excited about it and it will seem more like a touring and traveling series.” Naumann said.

What's it looking like for the weekend down there? We going to do it on Sunday if necessary?

Come on down for Friday's practice it looks like it will go around us,load em up and get down here we are thrilled you all are coming.

.i live by the malls .and it hasnt rained a drop over here sense 1 oclock or so yesterday .... my grass is still coughing up dust ..dry all night ...typical weather ........ how is sa .my son has a game at judson at 7 tonight .....

Edited by oldtimer

It's a down pour here. Talked to Cary allil bit earlier, we wll most definatly be there. I'm trying to find someone to ride down today with me, but if I cain't, be there tomorrow. THIS WEATHER SUCK'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope your bringing your super stock as well.