DIRT TRACK GEARING HELP

Would someone please explain total gear ratio,calculation process, and the best overall ratio for most of the south and central Texas oval dirt tracks. I am in street stocks in I37 running a 2 speed powerglide with 3:73 rearend gearing. My car in first is turning between 6200 and 6500 rpm on the straights at I37. (The powerglide is either a 1.76:1 or 1.82:1 gearset according to factory specs)

post-10710-1239721302.jpg

Everyone will have different ways of doing things but I believe I would multiply the rear end gear with your tranny gear and that will give you total gear. I believe yours is 656 total gear, as far as what gear to run around here depends on what track and how heavy your car is,I think your close but don't quote me. CC speedway total gear is about 696 to 701, Saratoga in your class is about 690,you might want to ask other drivers. I-37 I believe is the same,just my opinion.

Thanks Abel for the help.I have been thinking about going to Corpus for a race or two . I am in street stock in I37,what class do you think I would fall into,in corpus ? I heard the corpus track seems longer than I37,do you know if it is ?

Yes it is 1/4 mile of pure fun and you would fall in the super street class. I'm sure you would like it come anytime and bring some people to help support. I too support I-37 and have raced there, If you have any questions call me at 361-443-1244 good luck.

I want to THANK ALL of you guys and gals that have been giving me info. These forums are good to help out us rookies. I think I might not be experienced enough yet to hit the corpus asphalt track but it sounds like fun. I am definately thinking about trying out the corpus dirt track ,especially if 37 gets rained out again. I LOVE my old retro car. She is a tank and weights almost two tons but I am having fun. If any of you people see me pulling in one day, Come on over and BS some,none of us bite. Thanks again,Frederick

Archived