where was owen pittman?

catch22g

first things first, i would like to thank owen for taking on the challenge of promoting CCM.

i am glad to see attempt to bring mods back to track at local level on Fri nites even though don't agree with all rules. but i can live with the rules for now.

i enjoyed most of the show Sat nite 2004 opener. i was glad to see the heavy hand of management (aka. the BLACK flag) show its presence during the Super Street last chance. but what happened when the Thunders came out. who was watching the farm when the 73 and 26 cars got together at start. if the 73 did not deserve the BLACK, then you should have given 26 the courtesy to change tire and return to front row.

but, then it really got bad from there. after 26 throws his steering wheel at 73 during caution (that shows a lack of brains) you let him back on track. i guess i must have been the only person that had an idea of what was on 26's mind and sure enough he showed it within a couple of laps intentionally crashing 73 in middle of turn 3 & 4. i think it was great that 73 continued without any loss and 26 ended up tearing his car up more (another show of no brains)

if all that was not bad enough, then your track staff down by turn 3 & 4 light pole congratulates 26 after crashing 73 even going as far getting him a drink out of ice chest behing fire truck ( sure it was non-alcoholic ????) to celebrate.

i cannot believe you did not have 26 loaded and removed from track immediately for his actions.

and while on subject of BLACK flag, what happened while G.B. was running over everyone. it is a shame that someone with a car as fast and dominant as the #77 "Thumper" has to run over people rather than go around like a true driver.

Owen, my hat is off to you for what you are doing, but you have your work cut out for you cleaning up the racing action at CCM. hopefully, the dreaded BLACK flag can be used more than once a nite if needed.

Good Luck,

Bobby Grobe

The "new and improved " CCMOTOR SPEEDWAY--yea right

Well some things never change----------

Especially racing in Corpus Christi

hope that this kind of SERIOUS incidents will be handled

by track officials

the INTENTIONAL slamming of another car with the intent of

putting him in the wall can be considered " to cause bodily harm

with a motor vehicle" in a court of law--

What would the implications be if the driver would have been injured or killed ???

Can you say LAW SUIT big time $$$$$$$

Please management--dont let this kind of stuff contiune

a fan in the stands

As much as I was pulling against GB cause he wins every week it seems as if people were driving down into him...

And that lalo in the #26 is a big boy. Wouldn't wanna fight him..

Overall I think the night was a helluva lot more cleaner than what we have seen at that track the past couple years.

txhotmod + catch22g

I'm sure Owen and his staff have nothing but the best intentions and want to make racing at CCMS as clean and exciting as possible. As he and his staff go through the inevitable learning curve things will improve every week. From what I understand, many improvements were apparent to those who have been following racing at CC over the past few years.

Nick Holt

Nick, yes you are right about improvements at the track.

I have been around C.C. Speedway since I was a teenager in the 70's and started racing there in 1980. I quit following the racing there several years ago because of the direction they were going with on car type and because they would not control rough driving.

We only came back to track for a short time when good friend Michael Carlock leased the track and brought mod racing to C.C. Speedway for the first time several years back. After Michaels' lease deal ceased to continue, the track owner told us the fans did not really like the mods because they did not wreck enough. We never came back.

Then, just a couple of years ago, I took another chance and brought my 16 year old son out in a Thunder. But after just a few nights, he said he would rather race dirt because of the way the paved drivers run you off the track or into the wall to prevent being passed.

So, I think you will agree, that the most important improvement to be made will be cleaning up the driving.

I am sure that Owen does not intend to promote regular Sat nite demo derbies or 'Sat nite at the fights'.

Moreover, I am glad these guys do not have dirt type cars and will not be there on Fri nites to ruin our show.

And to Jason, when we are behind the wheel, we are as big as the next guy, sometimes bigger.

Bobby Grobe

Hey Bobby,

I didn't you got on here... I woulda figured you and Txhotmod were workin on the Mod? Guess all that money sellin boats is given ya time off... J/k Are you guys going to just strictly run I-37 Edna or McAllen...I went to a CC race last year and I remember how wild they get down there so Im not overly surprised. Is the Lalo you mentioned the same one that used to run in the Pro Sedans?...

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Most of your comments are well taken and understood. I apologize that I can not change the world in the first night. I do not catch every detail as I may be in the pits, the press box, the concession, you name it and I may be having to do it. I will be working on improving the the clean driving and making the show better for the race fans. Thanks

Owen you and your staff have really cleaned up the place alot and i was really impressed with the wayy you guys ran the show. i went down to help the TAMS series and got a good look at what it takes to run a track and put on a good show (from outside the car) and i wanted to say congrats and keep up the good work.

Chris #28

Owen, no apology necessary.

I want you to know that I am not trying to knock what you are doing. I also know that getting CCMS back to the racing level of competition of guys like Rick Rapp, Slick Yeomans, Billy Hardcastle, James Mikulencak (sorry if I misspelled this James and Lawrence)etc. may never be attained. There are not many drivers like them left around these parts any more. But I know you are trying.

I know you cannot be everywhere all the time also. And I know you cannot fix everything in one night. I am sure that you would not have allowed these race incidents to happen if you had seen them for yourself.

I just hope you will be able to position good people around you to assist in all these important areas. And any track staff employee that celebrates a driver for intentionally wrecking another driver should be dealt with seriously.

Again, Good Luck and Thanks,

Bobby Grobe

Owen & Greg:

I have been in racing for 46 years. The Texas Pro Sedans have been operating for 29 years. I have produced about 600 races at 14 different tracks. In all of this time, I have never seen a short track, under new ownership/management, function as smoothly as did C.C.Motor Speedway last Saturday night.

Keep up the good work.

TPS looks forward to providing a contribution to your 2004 program starting May 29th.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

Yes those guys were all great drivers and we all respect them. But there not racing anymore. Owen has brought 3 of the best touring series in Texas to CC. with all the best local drivers currently racing as well the top drivers around Texas to add to the weekly local show.As you all well know every track has the same problems to deal with fights, tech,etc. and all they can do is the best they can with the personell they have to try to control it no matter who the management is.

Bottom line: First night,New management, New season,2 Day Big show. You guys at CC Motor speedway did a great job ! Thank you Owen, Doc and Fire Crew, and all the CC. crew.

Overall, I think Owen & the crew did a good job and will continue to improve as the season goes; however,

I was upset about some of the rough driving..ie GB into the side of me at the first of the race. Now, don't get me wrong, GB & I are friends, it shocked me about his driving as much as everyone else. Now for the valley guys...I don't know...a little rough driving?...not my call...I'm just a driver! Of course, like most, I am over it. Anyway, I will be back out to have some fun!

I was also shocked to see GB driving so aggressively . I have never seen so much ruff driving in the Thunder class. I was also shocked to see the steering wheel fly through the infield and all the tempers flared.

We had a bad call made on our car in the bomber class and I know Owen can not be everywhere all the time but I think they need more spotters. I think there should be one in all 4 corners and 2 in the infield. One or 2 spotters can not see everything. JMO. Oh well.

I think Owen may want to look into the cloning thing lol. Maybe about 5 more of him would be a huge help. I wish Owen and his crew the best of luck. I do not think there will be so much aggresive driving once regular race season starts. I think most of that was because of the money involved.

I am just glad we have 2 weeks to put our cars back together.

Archived