Live Updates from Thunderhill Raceway, 4/11/09

NickHolt

So far the weather has cooperated here at Thunderhill Raceway. Cool, cloudy, but, thankfully, dry!

Tonight we have the Pro Trucks, Texas Pro Sedans, ASA A-Line Super Stocks, Thunder Stocks, Grand Stocks, Mini-Stocks, NasKarts, Legends and Bandoleros.

If I can keep the 'puter connected to that cell tower I see over there off turn three, I'll try to bring you the action.

Eric Wiede just arrived with the video equipment, so it's off to the pits for some interviews...

Nick

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dwarf cars up first for two heats. I'm sorry but don't have any of the Dwarf car names, numbers.... I think Bailey Curry won one of the Dwarf heats.

Makes it hard to tell you who's doing what when you don't know who's in the car.

Nick

Dwarf cars up first for two heats. I'm sorry but don't have any of the Dwarf car names, numbers.... I think Bailey Curry won one of the Dwarf heats.

Makes it hard to tell you who's doing what when you don't know who's in the car.

Nick

Aw! Come on Nick, why can't you see those numbers. LOL

You know you want to score them.

Grand Stock 8-lap heats up first. Joe Aramendia and Kenny Wright up front and take off.

A few laps in Lauren Alexander makes a slight infield excursion in 3-4, comes back on track and catches the Marcia Moore car and they hook together, sliding into the front straight wall. Moore out with a broken radiator. Alexander able to continue.

Aramendia holds off Wright - who tries high, then low, then a tap or two - for the win. Chris Trevino not far behind. Lots of bumper banging up front and throughout the field... three wide for fourth through sixth.

James Aramendia on the pole with Michael Weaver outside... Weaver gets a good start and takes Aramendia on the outside to take the point. Carolyn Aramendia quickly takes over third. The top three run nose-to-tail for most of the race.

Weaver wins James Aramendia and Carolyn Aramendia fighting side by side for second with James in second and Carolyn in third.

NasKarts heat up next.. again, have no names so I have no idea who's who. Richard Gonzales seems to be the winner. Sorry NasKart fans, but I can't make up folks' names. Chris Terry, I think, finished second.

17, 24, 29, 55 and 5 in that order at the checkered.

Maybe next time I'll have some names....

Two "wild and woolly" Thunder Stock 8-lap heats s up next. Aaron Brungot out first, but pulls in after smoke pours out of his machine after two laps. He pits.

Nathan Robbins inherits the lead with Cary Chancellor giving him fits. Chancellor passes Robbins with two to go and takes the checkered over Robbins. Anthony Gordon finishes third.

Second heat has Mason Teague on the pole with Jason Stanley outside. Joey Tschoerner and David Sevilla, Jr, in row two.

Teague out first with Tschoerner on his tail. Stanley and Sevilla getting after it.

On the second lap, Tschoerner gets loose in turn four and Stanley shoots under, but the pair made hard contact down the front straight and Sevilla gets caught up in it trying to avoid the banging duo and ends up in the front straight wall. Hard hit, but he seems OK. Better than the car anyway. Stanley goes to the rear for the contact.

Mason Teague and Joey Tschoerner open a gap back to Cooter Lynch and Jason Stanley who had worked his way back towards the front. And that's the way they finish.

Dwarf cars up first for two heats. I'm sorry but don't have any of the Dwarf car names, numbers.... I think Bailey Curry won one of thae Dwarf heat.

Nick

Hey Nick,

They are Lone Star Legends, not Dwarf cars! ;)

ASA A-Line Super Stocks up next for their 40-lap feature.

I missed the SS heats, but Duane Toyne and Doug Ayers were the winners.

It's Duane Toyne and Chris Birmingham on the front row, Greg Rohmer and Tracy Tschoerner, JC. Pilcher and Doug Ayers in row three.

Toyne out first and Rohmer scoots into second after Birmingham gets hung out at the green. Rohmer looks strong early and puts pressure on Toyne. Tschoerner a few car lengths back in third with CLint LaFont giving him all he can handle. Allen Alexander in fifth.

On lap nine, LaFont scoots under Tschoerner for third as Shawn Paul Lehman takes over sixth. The battle for fourth heats up.

On lap 15 Tracy Tschoerner solo spins down the back straight to bring out the caution.

At the re-start, Toyne, Rohmer and LaFont take off with Alexander ... Opps.... Toyne blows a freeze plug down the front straight and everyone scatters. Rohmer gets all sideways in the water and barely misses the front straight wall at the pit exit. Miraculously, everyone survives without too much fender banging. Lots of cars could have ended up in a wad, but good heads up driving prevented a real mess.

Lap 17 restart has Rohmer, LaFont, Alexander, Chase Stapp, Lehman, Ayers, Pilcher, Marvin Buck....

The top six go nose to tail for a few laps. Brent Reeves spins in turn 2 to bring out the caution on lap 19. Still the same top six on the next restart.

Rohmer leads the top six who again go nose to tail for a few laps. Rohmer opens a slight lead by lap 25 with the battle forming up for third with Alex Alexander in third as Lehman works past Stapp to pick up fourth. Leman now all over Alexander.

Rohmer opens up a little more lead as the laps run down and by lap 32 has several car lengths on LaFont. Alexander has been able to hold of Lehman so far, but Lehman is working him over pretty good.... Alexander holds steady though in spite of severe pressure.

At the checkered it's Rohmer, with several car lengths over Lafont. A few car lengths back Alexander holds off Lehman for third while Chase Stapp finishes a smooth fifth.

T.J. Michael won the 20-lap Bandolero feature. Missed it - was interviewing Super Street winner, Greg Rohmer.

Lone Star Legends up next for their 20-lap main. Andrew Smith and Bailey Currey on the front row. Smith out first with Currey and Michael Dabney, Jr. and Kenzie Ruston the top four. And that's the way they run for the first half of their race - all strung out with, sizable gaps growing between the top five cars. Kyle Lovejoy runs in fifth.

Towards the end Currey catches Smith and forces his way coming off turn four. Smith gives a love tap in return in turn 1-2, but Currey hangs on for the win.

Smith second, Dabney, Ruston and Lovejoy round out the top five.

TPS 25 lap feature. Tom Johnson on the pole, Mike Merrell outside pole. Defending TPS Champ Sergio Hexsel and Multi-time champ Bill Labarge in row two. Lalo Leal and Tory Christopher in row three. Eleven or twelve cars take the green.

Johnson out first with Merrell and Hexsel side-by-side for a lap. Leal fourth with Labarge in fifth early.

Johnson very strong early with Hexsel falling into second with Leal giving him fits. Merrell finally gets back in line in fifth after getting stuck on the outside for a lap.

Leal tries the outside on Hexsell with five in the books, but cant make it stick. Leal seems faster, but Hexsel has been doing this a while and holds steady on the inside. Meanwhile Johnson opens a bit of a gap.

Hallman spins down the back straight on lap eight. Hexsel smokes for a half a lap before the caution... He's still out there so maybe it was just tire smoke.

On the lap 8 restart Johnson, Hexsel, Leal, Merrell, Labarge, Christopher. Nathan Robbins and Bruce Mabrito behind them.

Johnson smooth on the restart as the top five take off. at halfway Merrell gets by Leal for third and takes off for Hexsel. Merrell catches Hexsel and tries the inside down the back straight but Hexsel holds him off. Leal goes way wide in four and LaBarge takes over fourth.

Again, Johnson stretches out a big lead as the laps count down. The battle is between Merrell and Hexsel with 5 to go. Labarge now joins the battle and scoots by Merrell to take over third.. but Merrell fights back and regains the third spot.

At the flag it's Merrell, with Hexsel, Merrell, Labarge all in a bunch in that order with Leal not far behind.

Grand Stock 25-lap feature up next. Eighteen cars start. Kenny Wright and Johnny Fitch on the front row... green waving already! We're racing.

Wright out first ... after a lap, Lauren Alexander spins in 3-4 to bring out the yellow.

James Aramendia takes over second on the outside ... and sets sail for Wright. J.C.Umscheid moves into third on lap five. Michael Weaver moves up through the field making contact with everything but the wrecker!

John Fitch and Lauren Alexander get tangled up in 1-2 to bring out the caution. Fitch sent to the rear for the contact...

Wright up front. two Aramendia cars behind him. Layton Carroll in fourth, but moves into third as J.C. Umscheid drops back. The top six are tightly bunched with Wright up front..

Spin by Chris Trevino in 3-4 brings yellow lap 10.

Up front it's Wright, James Aramendia, Layton Carroll, Michael Weaver, Carolyn Aramendia, J.C Umscheid, Tammy Thames, Richard Fitch, Mark Chrudimsky, Floyd Reed, Art Ganss....

Green at halfway. Wright gets good jump ... Weaver guns by Layton Carroll to take 3rd.

Who knows what happened as just about the whole field goes bonkers and everyone hits everyone else with just about the whole field involved in bringing out this particular caution! But... Weaver gets sent to the rear for his rather prominent role in this one...

Wright and Layton Carroll followed by J.C. Umscheid and Carolyn Aramendia who race side by side for fourth. Tammy Thames in fifth.

Up front it's hot and heavy with tons of bumping and tire rubbing. Carolyn, third, tries the inside on Carroll, second, going into turn one and gets down on the rumble strips.. didn't stick.

Art Ganss and John Fitch continue their race long fender banging with Ganss ending up near the tire wall in turn four. Caution.

Green white checkered up next...

Wright out first. Carolyn Aramentdia takes second place on the inside on the white flag lap. Carroll takes third with J.C. Umscheid fourth and Floyd Reed fifth.

40-lap Texas Truck race next.

David Lewien on the pole and gets out first, but Brent Bell jumps quickly to the outside and takes the lead after a lap side by side with Lewien. Jim Albert takes over second as Lewien drops back a bit and

Some dicing up front as Jason Marshall moves to join the front runners. And D.L. Wislon shows up to take third from Albert and Shawn Paul goes with him on lap 8.

Brent Bell maintains a car length on Marshall, but on lap 13 Marshall slips by Bell on the inside. D.L. Wilson inches up on the two front runners as Lehman maintains fourth over Jim Albert.

Chris Roper spins solo in turn four on lap 16 for a caution. Yellow count.

After the restart Wilson and Lehman take over second and third as Bell slips back a bit. Something has to be wrong in the engine department on Bell's ride.

Another yellow for a spin by Roper a few laps later.

With five to go, Albert gets by Bell who is slowing with each lap. And... boom... with four to go Bell blows up with flames under the car as it sits in the grass in turn 2.

On the restart it's Marshall, Wilson, Lehman, Albert, Lewien and Roper. Marshall out smoothly.. Wilson close behind with Lehman a car length back. Albert fades a bit.

Lots of fishtailing by Wilson and Lehman as they pull it all out trying to get by Marshall... To no avail as Marshall takes the win with Wilson close behind as Lehman gets positively sideways coming off turn four in a last ditch effort to get by the top two... That's how they finish

This one should be a barnburner... the 30-lap Thunder Stock feature up next. maybe some bad blood left over from the heats.. maybe...

Patrick Burow and Nathan Robbins on the front row. Michael Teague and OOppp it's green!

Patrick Burow gets way sideways in turn four and ends up spinning into the infield to bring out a caution.. Complete restart.

Michael Teague gets the lead from his third place starting position and takes off. Burow in scond being hounded by Anthony Gordon and Gary Chancellor and Jason Stanley .... Whoa Chancellor and Burow or Jason Stanley (not sure who) get together in turn 2 with a caution the result.

Joey Tschoerner works his way into third and joins the front runners. Michael Teague gets a bit wide and Chancellor and Tschoerner try, but fail to get by. Chancellor then gets to the outside of Teague and the pair go side by side for a lap with Tschoerner watching the action a car length back.

Teague and Chancellor get together in 3-4 and Chancellor goes off into the boonies, but thankfully not into the tire wall. Chancellor pits with some front end damage. Teague sent to the rear.

Meanwhile that puts Tschoerner in first, Steve Joyce to second and Mason Teague in third as the action gets back under way.

At lap ten it's Tschoerner by a few car lengths over Joyce who is being seriously challenged by Mason Teague. Teague gets by to take over second.

The 13 car - not too sure who's behind the wheel of the 13 car tonight, Cooter Lynch usually drives it but he may have turned it over to someone needing points - anyway, the 13 blows up in a ball of fire down the back straight. Joey Jenkins and Michael Teague get into the oil and go for a ride. Teague lost his RR tire and pits.

Red flag.. be back in a minute...

Tschoerner takes off on the restart and pulls away from Mason Teague and Steve Joyce and Joey Jenkins.

A few laps later, Teague has closed in a bit on Tschoerner. Jenkins gets by Joyce with four to go to take over third. Not enough time for anyone to catch Tschoerner since he has 10 car lengths on Teague who has a similar lead on Jenkins who finishes third. Joyce in fourth with Nathan Robbins in fifth.

Hey Nick,

Hey Christine,

Unfortunately, I don't have a thing from the track to tell me who's who or what's what. Not complaining, just explaining why I don't have my facts straight. It's tough to report races live when you're just guessing...

Nick

I'll try to round up some results tonight, but if not, it's been fun.

ON EDIT: After I shut down the puter, I went down to the Tech area and talked to Jack Sanderfur for a second or two. Jack said there are "a few" cars that may not pass the post-race tech inspections. The only one I know for sure is that Greg Rohmer was too light on the scales.

So I guess that means I will have to wait for the results from Christine some time manana.

Happy Easter everyone!

Nick

Does anyone have the results of the NASKART main?

THANKS

I wish I even had an up to date list of drivers and their car numbers!

I guess the results will just have to wait until they get here... Sorry.

Nick

Hey Nick,

Hey Christine,

Unfortunately, I don't have a thing from the track to tell me who's who or what's what. Not complaining, just explaining why I don't have my facts straight. It's tough to report races live when you're just guessing...

Nick

Hey Nick,

You left that open so I'll shoot. Shouldn't a media person do a little research on the topic they are covering? It’s not very hard to print out results, points, schedules, etc from past races on the track's website. And I'm sure you are on their email list. Come on now, this is taught in basic media person 101... Did they limit your access to the racers in the pits? Did you not have a program? I know you've stated that you don't watch NASCAR races, but maybe Rusty Wallace's "expert" coverage of the Indy 500 on ABC set new standards for the media???? :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to belittle what you are offering here. You provide a nice service by giving live updates on the races for free. I know I checked the live updates every few hours last night.

I'm not calling you out...wait yes I am...you did jump up on that soapbox. You are complaining. You blame the track for not having information you could have easily obtained yourself! I know Hallas goes through the pits getting information from racers. You don't and its the track's fault? Do you really think some of these smaller facilities, on even tighter budgets, will cater to you like they do at THR? No. Yet, Jay is able to obtain information on the racers. Some of that blame you place on the track should be redirected towards yourself and your approach to this....you are a media person right?

Happy Easter everyone. :)

J

Easy now Jason. I have been in his shoes as far as names go. I would ask and ask for it and not get it sometimes. As far as printing out old results, that is exactly what they are, Old results. They make driver changes as many times as my daughter used to change clothes at the track. Give him a break.

Archived