Neck Support

ToryC

The incident last Saturday night with our friend Jerry in the Grand Stocks reminds me of just how important it is for our fellow drivers to use some sort of neck support.

Like many of you, I cannot afford a Hans device, but I always use a neck support and or head restraint like the G-Force Safety Restraint System.

Last season at my old home track at Irwindale, there was a crash where the driver was told by doctors at the hospital that he may have had permanent paralysis if it were not for the $30 neck support he was wearing.

If you cannot afford a Hans device - please consider a neck support to your helmet or a "poor man's" type of head restraint system. A simple neck brace may be the best $30 you ever spend on your race car.

At the risk of sounding like a mother hen - I just want all my fellow drivers to think about this. $30 spent today may keep you racing for years to come.

Tory,

I was thinking along the same lines - even sent an e-mail to Jack yesterday about it.

The THR Grand Stock rules state the following on Page 2, Section 2 Safety Equipment, Paragraph c:

A neck brace is required. A HANS, Hutchens or D-Cel device is also highly recommended.

Also, I keep telling the drivers about additional insurance coverage that's available through ASA, and very few have taken advantage of this offer. The maximum coverage on the track insurance is $50,000 - not very much in a serious situation. With an individual ASA membership, drivers can get a maximum of $500,000 coverage that includes travel to and from the track. The cost is only $90 a year ($125 for Super Stock drivers). This is specialized motorsports insurance that would probably be difficult to obtain through other sources.

If you're a driver in any of the THR local classes (Super Stocks, Thunder Stocks, Grand Stocks or Mini Stocks) and you're interested in applying for this additional coverage, please contact me at debbie@thunderhillraceway.com

This is a great thread. We were not so much concerned with the cost of the HANS but for the "fit" Jake could not wear the HANS because it tended to kick his helmet forward. We ran a Hutchins last year and that seemed just fine. When we decided to try our hand at the Allison Legacy cars Mom and I had some concerns and decided to see what was out there. We came across the "Defender". It is very similar to the HANS but it is adjustable. Turns out to be very Comfortable and Jake has not complained once about it. The cost was 549.00 plus tax. So far this has been a great buy. Just my 2 cents

We were not so much concerned with the cost of the HANS but for the "fit" Jake could not wear the HANS because it tended to kick his helmet forward.

Just for info- I've run with two different HANS devices- you have to have one with the same 'lay-back' angle as the seat. they make them for seats all the way back to a 40 degree layback--- but if you use that one siting up, it will certainly kick your helmet forward on a standard seat. There is even a straight-up version- if you use that in a high lay-back seat it will run into the seat and keep your shoulder straps from working correctly.

The other systems are more universal, and the most economical choice for someone who runs multiple cars/configurations.

I'll add this also- what ever you choose, the most important thing is to make sure the whole package works together, and to ensure it's used every time. Even though I don't run anymore, I'd like to get back into it sometime. I'm absolutely positive when I do, I'll have a good system.

Looking forward to all the good races from everyone. Please do us fans a favor and use enough safety equipment to ensure you can always come back and put on a show! Thanks to everyone that goes out there for my entertainment!

Wichita Performance in Wichita Falls, TX sells all styles of head and neck devices. We sell the Hutchens starting at around $350. The D-Cell unit is an excellent choice for the Saturday night racer. It sells for $430. The devices range from $350 to $1090. Wichita Performance will custom fit your head and neck device to you. We have free shipping and have an lay-a-way program. In mid April Safety Solutions will be coming out with a new design (Hybrid Pro Rage) ressembling their Nascar legal Hybrid unit for around $549. It is made from carbon fiber and composite fiber. You can go to http://wichitaperformance.com/ and scroll to bottom of page to see all the head and neck devices we sell. You can go to http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/wordpress/ to read up on all the different devices. Just give us a call if your interested in our devices. You can not put a price on your safety. You will not find a more comfortable device. Unlike the Hans that fits on your shoulders the hybrid unit rests just behind your shoulders making getting in and out the car very easy. You can also use any seat and belts you want. I have demos in WF if anyone wants to make a road trip. I will be coming to Kyle in the near future to run with the Pro Trucks if anyone wants to try one. Mark Pinson

Edited by txfireman911

Wichita Performance in Wichita Falls, TX sells all styles of head and neck devices. We sell the Hutchens starting at around $350. The D-Cell unit is an excellent choice for the Saturday night racer. It sells for $430. The devices range from $350 to $1090. Wichita Performance will custom fit your head and neck device to you. We have free shipping and have an lay-a-way program. In mid April Safety Solutions will be coming out with a new design (Hybrid Pro Rage) ressembling their Nascar legal Hybrid unit for around $549. It is made from carbon fiber and composite fiber. You can go to http://wichitaperformance.com/ and scroll to bottom of page to see all the head and neck devices we sell. You can go to http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/wordpress/ to read up on all the different devices. Just give us a call if your interested in our devices. You can not put a price on your safety. You will not find a more comfortable device. Unlike the Hans that fits on your shoulders the hybrid unit rests just behind your shoulders making getting in and out the car very easy. You can also use any seat and belts you want. I have demos in WF if anyone wants to make a road trip. I will be coming to Kyle in the near future to run with the Pro Trucks if anyone wants to try one. Mark Pinson

I would be interested. My HANS makes my neck and shoulder muscles feel like someone's been punching them for 3 hours........

There are 6-7 trucks coming to race with the Pro Trucks soon. I can bring a few down for you to see how comfortable they are or you could come race with us in W.F. or Altus and demo one. You would not believe how comfortable they are. The Pro Trucks are legal to race with us just the way you are.