Major Changes to THR track for 2004

Release: February 24, 2004

Major Changes to Track Underway at Thunder Hill Raceway as Seventh Season Approaches

Kyle -- Major changes to the track surface and layout at Thunder Hill Raceway began this week, as the seventh season opener for the track looms on March 27. Owner and general manager Brian Callaway revealed that the back straight will be widened about 20 feet and banked to give drivers more racing room as they exit turn two on the 3/8-mile, D-shaped oval track on IH 35 just north of San Marcos. In part because this will increase speeds (and tight racing) into turns three and four, the wall outside turn four is being moved back about 30 to 40 feet to give drivers a chance to recover without major damage to their cars.

"We're still at the mercy of the weather," Callaway noted Tuesday, "but with a little luck, we can get the work done in about two weeks." Both the recent cold and rainy weather and the delays while the contractor finished another job have kept the work from starting until now. Callaway himself was on a backhoe Monday night as the crew began moving the turn four wall, and the grading work down the back straight has also begun.

Some equipment is being provided by Robert Mullins and ROMCO Equipment, sponsors of the ROMCO Super Late Model Series "Texas Tornado Tour."

New track Competition Director Nick Holt has said the changes may completely alter the way drivers approach the back section of the track, removing some of the home track advantage the locals have had until now.

###

T. Q. Jones P. O. Box 91346 Austin, TX 78709-1346

PH: (512) 266-4814 FAX: (512) 266-4833 Email: tqj@mindspring.com

With all the changes being made on and off the track it sounds like

Brian & Jim are really trying to improve the racing for the fans,as well

as the racing enviroment for the race teams.Sounds and looks to me

like they are actually going to try and make Thunderhill a premier track

to run at.

Now if Kathy and Tracy can get those seats painted by opening night.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You are toooooooooooooo funny Charles.

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

We are saving that job for you dude.

Didn't Nick call you and tell you yet?

LOL :P

are all class track records going to be reset since track is changing shape?adding 20ft and banking on backstraight-going to be awesome-should carry some speed into turn 3-also thanks to the staff at THR for the improvements being done. :D

are all class track records going to be reset since track is changing shape?

I don't think the old records should be reset. If the track is faster, which it should be, they will be broken anyway.

Just my .02 from a self-preserving point of view. :lol:

cs

I am planning to shake down one or both of our new tams cars on the 13th / 20th practice days. Expressed as a %, what are the completion odds on: A. 13th B. 20th   --  Just trying to plan.

I can say with 100% certainty that it all depends a lot of things.. mostly the weather. LOL

Brian tells me that if the weather holds -- and it looks pretty good until Saturday anyway -- they should finish the work on the track in time for both Saturday practices.

Looking forward to seeing both your new TAMS modifieds in action!

Nick Holt

Chase,

I don't think the old records should be reset. If the track is faster, which it should be, they will be broken anyway.  Just my .02 from a self-preserving point of view.

I'm not so certain the track will be faster from a stopwatch point of view. The same line will be available that was always there and that line will still be the shortest distance around the track.

What we should see, though, is a second groove develop that will allow for more side-by-side racing through turns 1 and 2. I have been told that in order to pass clean at THR in the past, you needed to be at least .3 second a lap faster than the car in front. With the new configuration, if a car is set up to run in the second groove, the speed differential needed to pass should be much less than before.

The exciting part is going to be when two cars enter turn three after racing side-by-side down the wide back straight. Who is going to back off and who is going to go into the turn hard? Should be interesting.

So, what I'll do is keep the existing records handy just in case the new configuration turns out to be a lot faster than when the existing records were made. But I doubt we will just erase the record bookand and start over.

Nick Holt

Archived