Cams

labrat

I went to purchase a bigger cam for my race car (former asphalt circle track / future dirt track car), and the man at the counter told me that I had to install a high stall converter (around 3000 stall) in my automatic tranny and that if I didn't it would flatten the cam lobes. If this is true, why does running a stock converter flatten the lobes and how can I run a cam with a higher lift if the rules state that I have to run a stock converter? Can any driver running with a cam lift of 500 to 540 point me in the right direction please? The only reason I am running the automatic tranny is that I am trying to keep the cost down on the rebuild of my car and a standard tranny is out of my price range right now. Like to get the right cam for my set up hopefully before the new season starts at I37 Raceway. :unsure:

Thanks for the information! I didn't think that would happen or how it could happen. I justed wanted to make sure before I went and spent some money on a new cam. I would hate to have to replace my cam several times throughout the season when funds are as tight as they are now.

• 2 weeks later...

give the fine folks at bullet cams a call, and they will lead you in the right direction on camshaft selection. Camshafts are an art form mastered by few, and bigger isnt always better, your valve train is a system that all components have to work together, so dont scrimp in this area or you WILL have heavy blue smoke streaming from your headers and parts littering the track. http://www.bulletcams.com/

Archived