NASCAR NOT concerned with short fields

rebelracewriter

Of course ol' Brian spins it, blaming it on the teams. And obviously Mikey doesn't have a clue! Economy on the down turn??? Guess he doesn't watch the market very closely! Wonder if he's buying or selling his NASCAR stock?

Link to NASCAR.com story

Looks to me like all the pieces are starting to fall into place, and it will be uglier than "The Big One" on a superspeedway.

Jayski says only 38 cars next week entered. If I owned a team I would take my slowest car and just throw it in there to run a lap as a field filler. No practice or anything and keep the money. Sounds like a win win situation. lol SAD.

Looks like NASCAR might be getting ready to pay a few struggling teams some "tow money" this season.

I remember when Cup teams consisted of just a few guys working together in a small garage somewhere. Whatever wind tunnel work was done was done by GM or Ford or Chrysler when they were developing their passenger cars. Smokey Yunick or Dave Marcis or Don Beirschwale could enter a car that they built from the ground up and run, or even win, Daytona.

Those days are long gone. There are only a few teams (multi-million dollar businesses, really) that are able to legitimately compete. Unless you happen to be running for one of those multi-car businesses, you are not going to win. And as those elite mega-businesses add more and more teams to their stables, the chances of you and I putting together a Cup team becomes a joke. Just look at the entry list for this year's Daytona 500 and it is as plain as the nose on your face that fewer and fewer teams can keep up. Why would anyone in their right mind try to realistically compete with Hendrick or Roush?

I predict that within a few years there will only be two, maybe three, racing organizations fielding Cup cars. Their success on the track will depend on how well their PR team and legal staff are able to sway NASCAR. NASCAR, of course, will try to make sure that the wins are evenly distributed and everyone goes home rich. Some say that is already the case.

I see a fly in NASCAR's ointment - something the Frances can't control. In the old days NASCAR pretty much could control what the media people wrote and said about it. If someone dared to write something that NASCAR didn't like, they simply pulled your press credentials. And what good is a motorsports writer if he/she can't even get into the track to cover the story on race day? And if you think this didn't happen, then think again. Those of us in the print media knew that unwritten rule very well and pretty much made sure NASCAR had no reason to pull our credentials.

But NASCAR has gained some impressive TV ratings lately and along with those ratings have come members of the legitimate media (SI, USA Today, etc) wanting to write about NASCAR. These people tend to report the truth of what's going on and not swallow the NASCAR spin hook, line and sinker. And as they become more and more familiar with the inner workings of NASCAR, more and more NASCAR dirty laundry will be hung out in public. Can you imagine NASCAR pulling the press credentials for Sports Illustrated or USA Today or the Wall Street Journal? No way. Sooner or later the general public will come to realize, as have a growing number of us who are directly involved in stock car racing, that Cup racing is a carefully orchestrated business controlled by big-money and driven by public relations gurus and lawyers.

It could well be that as race fans begin to lose interest in NASCAR's groomed-for-TV-drivers and predictable finishes, they might just find their way to go to their local short tracks. Honest bullrings where the competition is real and race car drivers are true gladiators and heroes in the eyes of many. Where bragging rights and trophies and kissing the trophy queen define success. Where kids can look up to their favorite driver knowing he or she is the real deal and not some PR-manufactured salesperson.

Do I love stock car racing? You bet I do. Just like many of you, I have devoted a good portion of my adult life to the sport that I love. But do I like where NASCAR is headed? Nope. Will I watch Daytona this year? Yep. But only because Terry Labonte is running. After Terry retires, forget it.

Nick Holt

I have information that NASCAR has only 38 entires for the Rockingham race. I also understand that NASCAR officilas have been on the phones attempting to persuade some of the lesser, part-time teams to enter. I imagine that some will take the offer seriously just to collect the last place money if nothing else.

Seems like Mr. France's recent statements that he isn't worried about short fields seems to ring a bit hollow here.

Nick Holt

Nick and Jason,

You're both right, there are only 38 entries so far for next week's race. Over here, guys like Jimmy Spencer and Andy Hillenburg and Kirk Shelmerdine (sp?) put all they had to get an entry into Daytona...

It's well-known that NASCAR isn't afraid to front some $$$ to some teams to get them "into a race," looks like they'll have to dish out a lot more this year to keep the fields happy..

Realize, too, that NEXTEL CUP WILL FIELD 43 cars per race--they're under contract to do just that...so, let the Scavenger Hunt begin!

Jim, call NASCAR right away and give 'em your number. Then sit by your phone because NASCAR is calling everyone they can think of.

For instance, they have convinced Andy Belmont, an ARCA RE/MAX Series driver, to enter the race at North Carolina Motor Speedway. He will drive the #59 Taurus. I don't imagine he'll be sitting on the pole.

Reliable sources inform me that NASCAR is offering some teams $30,000 to $40,000 a race to fill the starting grids at several tracks in 2004.

Nick Holt

Well, NASCAR has a full field for the Rockingham race this weekend.. if that's what you want to call it. Looks like they did some real barrel scraping though. I'm surprised they didn't call our own Jim Creech who has a vintage Cup car stashed away somewhere.

Just look at the quality (?) cars and drivers who are rounding out the field

Joe Ruttman who starts 40th last tried to compete in a cup car in 1995.

Kirk Shelmerdine starts 41st. Hasn't made the field in any cup race since Pocono in 2002.

Carl Long starts 42nd. Ran his last cup race in 2002, finishing last at Atlanta.

Andy Hillenburg starts 43rd and makes his first cup race since since he finished last at Martinsville in the spring 2002 race.

Andy Belmont and Morgan Shepherd both withdrew their cars without even trying to qualify, so all 43 cars that took a time made the starting grid.

Hmmmmm

Nick Holt

Just look at the quality (?) cars and drivers who are rounding out the field

Joe Ruttman who starts 40th last tried to compete in a cup car in 1995.

Kirk Shelmerdine starts 41st. Hasn't made the field in any cup race since Pocono in 2002.

Carl Long starts 42nd. Ran his last cup race in 2002, finishing last at Atlanta.

Andy Hillenburg starts 43rd and makes his first cup race since since he finished last at Martinsville in the spring 2002 race.

Andy Belmont and Morgan Shepherd both withdrew their cars without even trying to qualify, so all 43 cars that took a time made the starting grid.

Hmmmmm

Nick Holt

Nick-ster...

Is that SARCASM I detect in your latest post? :o:lol:B):rolleyes:

SAD, SAD, SAD! Now let's see how many of those big name drivers(LOL) make a couple laps, then park it!

Gardner,

(sorry, dude, but I'm not convinced you've come up with another nickname just yet)... :lol:

Here's the real sad part...these "new" guys make Derrick Cope look like a legitimate contender!

:lol::lol::lol:

Archived