Lucas Oil

neon14

At my new job they put lucas oil stabilizer in everything. Alot of people think it is the best stuff in the world. I have never used anything like this and I am very skeptical. What do yall think?

...we cracked a cylinder at kyle .water got into the block and you know what water does to oil..... milk city ...jessie ran a feature .i took it apart thinking we would need bearings and probably a crank ...nope .if i had not had lucas we would of had to ..the water didnt break it down .therefore it kept its lube and saved the motor ...i will never race our motors again with out lucas ... i thank ej gilpen for talking me into useing it years ago ....

i used it my street stock in 07 took it for the first play day ,and i blew the motor it spun 2,4main and 7 rod their was nothing left in the motor i could use. now all i use is valoline 50 weight and not a thing has gone wrong with the motor it ran all of 07 and now its in a modified turning 8,000 still have 80psi of oil ,i just change the oil every race.

Oil and oil additives is one of those topics that is very touchy and usually fiercely debated when brought up. There is so much advertising hype out there surrounding various additives that the truth is probably hard to find. Unless you are willing to spend a ton of time trying to find genuine non-biased research, you may as well just make it a leap of faith. For example, I would tell you that running 50 weight oil in today's engines is just a way to give away free horsepower. Louis would probably argue otherwise.

Likewise, I saw a video of a test of Lucas Oil Stabilizer that showed that the stuff basically turns to a frothy mess when exposed to the vibrations typical in a race motor. Who is to say if the test was genuine?

Personally, I try to pick a tried and tested multi-viscocity oil and stick to that. 15W-40 synthetic is generally my choice, but you should choose for yourself based mainly on bearing clearances.

all i know is i sell the hell out of lucas ...and have run it for three years .with no complaints ..in fact my wear on my bearings have been alot less ..less wear in my oil pumps . and so forth ... now wether thats just a darn good motor builder .me lol or lot of luck ..ill keep useing it ..and i know for a fact that helped kept us from blowing this motor up ... .....but wait a minute ..i may try out some gibb oil ....i agree with 99 .. . everyone has thier own favorite..and have good or bad storys aboult it ....[ neon will ]go with your feelings .........

• 4 weeks later...

for some reason on the lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer bottle it says to use the "lucas synthetic oil stabilizer" in ford powerstroke motors, but it does not say why. the websight basicaly says nothing. does anybody have any idea why they would recomend this only on the ford powerstroke? I called the 800 # today and their voicemail was full.

powerstrokes are notorious for making foam in oils. I believe ford recommends one of the popular diesel oils over the other however Im not sure which one is which. Its all about how the componets move. The oil that is best for powerstrokes is not so good for the cummins. Same reasons.

• 2 months later...
for some reason on the lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer bottle it says to use the "lucas synthetic oil stabilizer" in ford powerstroke motors, but it does not say why. the websight basicaly says nothing. does anybody have any idea why they would recomend this only on the ford powerstroke? I called the 800 # today and their voicemail was full.

Neon,

The reason is that the mineral version will not allow the "oil" (both Lucas and your choice of oil) flow through the high pressure pump at the required rate. The synthetic version flows at the rate required. I cant give you specifics to the rate, but I can tell you that if the oil volume is reduced, you will start dropping injectors like flies. The spool valve that fires the injector will become worn causing the injectors timing to be off and resulting in a misfire.

To touch on the comment Racer 61 made, oil has ratings. The current rating is CJ-4. Previously, CI-4 plus, CI-4, CH-4, etc. When the foaming was first noticed in high pressure direct injection engines, such as International and the 7.3L Power Stroke, both manufacturers came out with an anti-foam additive. It worked like a charm and kept the engine from starving itself, because there was now ample amount of "non-foam" oil that the oil pump could utilize and build pressure with. When the CI-4 oil came out, the anti foam additive package was built in to the oil off of the shelf. All brands are included, no exclusions. There is no reason, today, that you should worry about your Power Stroke foaming. The only oil Ford recommends is Motorcraft oil.

FYI, I have both sold and used Lucas (not in a Power Stroke) and I feel that they have good products overall. The best product I have seen is their Hub oil with stop leak. That is an extremely neglected area on oil bath bearings on trucks and trailers. Excellent product.

Thought I would put in my 2 cents.

You friendly Ford Power Stroke Representative. <_<

We have run Valvoline Racing Oil for 25 years. Our golden rule we used is if our car took the checkered flag basically a full night of racing we changed the oil. Most of the time it was every week. Over the last 25 years we never had an engine failure due from anything related to oil breakdown, bearing issues or oil pressure problems in our custom built engines. Starting last year we had to go to a new engine builder. He liked Valvaline as well but apparently its not the same oil as it once was with some parts being regulated and no longer in the recipe within the oil itself. Mostly its not a good breakin oil for cam and lifters anylonger. So you have to use a breakin additive otherwise you are taking a big risk it breaking in properly. After several long conversations Greg Spreen turned us onto Joe Gibbs Racing Oil. Its expensive but he has us changing it every other race because it doesnt breakdown. We ran our Street Stocker all last season with no problems normally around and up to 7000 - 7200 rpm. We will be using it again this year per our engine builders recommendation.

Archived