No media guide in 2004

tqj3

Due to the underwhelming response, of lack thereof, to the media guide, I'm cancelling the project. Those few of you who paid for listings or ads will have their money by the end of the week, and I thank you.

Particularly annoying was that, once again, even requesting information from drivers and crews met with almost no response.

While everyone decries the lack of media attention paid to motorsports, very few want to lift a finger or spend a dime to correct it. Even my offer of a free seminar on media relations met with no interest, so I'll concentrate on those who want to advance in the sport and recognize the need.

Tq,

I just wanted to let you know that I do at some point want to be part of this media guide and get my name out there more. But not at this time seeing that I am trying to have motors built and trying to get ready for the start of the season. I knwo that you called my father and even visited with him but right now our priorities are getting this season started and rolling. Hope you understand.

Thanks,

Josh Freeman

Josh-

Being in the media guide would not have cost the drivers anything, but I did expect to sell enough advertising to produce the guide. Unfortunately, as is usual, I can't get information even when I ask for it.

And that's the problem with the media: they don't even ask.

Tj3,

I did also e mail you requsting information about the guide and I had just finished getting the team info and was going to e mail it to you. I am sorry you will not be able to make the guide. You are right our local motor sports need to have advertisement. That really helps get sponsers for our cars. Let me know if you will be able to do it in the future our main sponser may want a full page.

So sorry again. It is sad. You have a GREAT idea. I really thought you would have a over whelming response.

Tq, I have not been on TSZ enough lately to know what your time table was on the guide. To make it work you will need to get with the individual series and contact all members so everyone has the same opprotunity.

Bandit-

Once again, everybody in Texas racing wants someone else to do all the work to make them famous.

My problem was not with the series, all of which were cooperative. But a list of drivers isn't enough. I needed car numbers, colors, sponsors, contact information and so on in addition to advertising support from the teams and drivers; and I needed the same info from the local drivers, say at Thunder Hill. Getting it, as usual, was like pulling teeth. I can't even hand someone a pen and paper and ask for them to fill out the information and have a reasonable chance of getting it.

There were drivers who complained last year that their sponsors weren't getting mentioned enough by the track announcers, but the track announcers didn't have any information to give out. And it's not the responsibility of the track to track down (sorry about that) every driver and grill him about his sponsors. For starters, promoting the sponsor is the DRIVER'S job, which may explain why sponsors are so scarce in these parts.

The point of a media guide was to provide all that information to the media, to track announcers, even to the fans, just the way football and baseball and basketball and NASCAR and all of the really serious sports do.

As I've said before, the rest of the world, and the mainstream sportswriters and sportscasters, don't take us seriously because we don't operate as though we were serious.

Did you see the editorial in the Statesman welcoming the new Austin Wranglers indoor football team to town? Not in the sports section, in the news section. Have you seen stories on Austin Wrangler players in the sports section? Do you know they were out handing out free tickets to the Boy Scouts at the parade last week?

Do you know they hadn't played their first game yet, and their first home game is not until this week?

That's serious, and it's also the kind of thing the Ice Bats and the Round Rock Express did before they ever played a game.

I repeat, they don't take us seriously (the Statesman sports editor told Jon Sagester that they just didn't have room to cover Thunder Hill) because we don't do the things we would do if we were serious. I guarantee you that every news outlet in the state has a stack of media guides with the names and biographies of every player, coach and team they might POSSIBLY want to do a story on. (The Texas press gets guides from all of the NFL teams, including Minnesota and Green Bay.)

Now, how would anyone in the media in Texas even know you exist?

I havent even been on TSZ during the off season i didnt have a clue you were trying to put something togeather. In fact i have been trying to get the same info from guys who i do set-ups for and such for a web site i am putting togeather to try and help promote my business.

Sorry

J.C Umscheid

the track announcers didn't have any information to give out

That is the track announcer's fault.

I work my tail off to get all the info on the drivers I can. One track I work at does it as part of the car registration process, and puts it all on the cards for us in the booth. At all the other ones I have worked at I had to go and get it all myself.

I do it so I don't sound like a dork while announcing (ok, like MORE of a dork :rolleyes: ). I never have a problem with getting the information from the drivers or crew. Sometimes I might not get it all, but I get what the driver wants said.

And yes, when it is my show, all the sponsors of all the cars get announced every time they are on the track. Everytime. If I don't have any info on a car it is because they arrived after I had to start the pre-race activities. I feel it is the most important part of my job, in fact it IS MY JOB. Anything else I might do behind the mic is fluff.

If your announcer doesn't bother to get the required info, or just refuses to not use it, I would lobby the track management to get a different announcer. Lazy announcers should not be allowed to keep their positions.

I work hard for my money. Not all annoucers do sadly.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Sarge-

"the track announcers didn't have any information to give out. And it's not the responsibility of the track to track down (sorry about that) every driver and grill him about his sponsors. For starters, promoting the sponsor is the DRIVER'S job, which may explain why sponsors are so scarce in these parts."

I'm glad you are both so conscientious and have the time to spend tracking down every driver, and/or that your series are so on top of it that they give you all the info you need, but that's not my experience. We often can't even get a starting lineup and have to try and wing it by looking at sometimes hard to read numbers as the cars form up, and then only if we have managed to get SOME kind of list of drivers and numbers from the series.

The track announcer's job is to promote the track sponsors and advertisers, and do as much as possible to mention the drivers' sponsors, IF HE HAS THE INFO.

We ain't mind readers, and, as I said, last year I passed out index cards and pens to drivers and still only had information on about half of them, and complete information (name, car number, car make, home town, sponsors) on maybe a third.

Imagine just how far you'd get with the average sportswriter (used to having everything given to him so he can do his job) if you made it that hard to cover this game.

Oh, that's right. We DO make it that hard to cover this game. Kind of explains why they don't bother with us, doesn't it?

tqj3

That wasn't a dig at you. It was a dig at lazy announcers.

That being said...

and do as much as possible to mention the drivers' sponsors, IF HE HAS THE INFO.
(my bolding)

If I don't have it it is because they arrived late, after I start the pre-race activities. And even then I ask the crowd for info if they have it. I had a guy come up the other week and give me the info on a scrap of paper. I was able to create a card on the spot.

I have found through much experience, that the only way to reliably get that info was to get it myself. And I don't hand nobody anything. I write it all down. I do that for two reasons. 1. So I can read it, and 2. so that they can continue on with what they are doing as I am getting the info. I am doing the work, they are just talking. I have never had anyone refuse to give me info. Though I know for a fact sometimes they "stretch" the truth a bit LOL :rolleyes:

Again, not a dig at you. Just telling you how I see things from my experience. Most drivers are more than willing to tell me the info, but most ain't gonna stop and write it down. And even if they do want to write it down I refuse to let them, as I usually can't read thier handwriting.

Come on up to the booth after the races and I will let you use my cards for your project.

I take my responsibility as the "voice" of the track very seriously. I might joke and kid around or otherwise try and keep 'em enternained, but I know my first responsibility is to the sponsors, both the tracks, and the racers.

Here is another thought on why you don't get alot of response from the drivers/teams. You are trying to profit off of thier info. Nothing wrong with that, but I am just saying, they aren't gettin anything tangible for sending you this info, you are getting revenue for receiving it. That might make some people less than cooperative, especially if they are doing the work (providing the info).

Again, only way I get that info is if I go and get it. I do the work so that I have it. Anything worth having is worth working for.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Sarge-

You are either getting paid a great deal more than I am, or you have both time and a love of the sport to do all the work the teams and series should be doing. To gather all the information, you'd have to spend several hours in the pits, asking drivers for information they should have ready to give you.

I'm trying to profit off of their information? You must have an inflated idea of how much money there would be even IF I HAD BEEN ABLE TO GET THE INFORMATION and the advertising. I was just trying to get enough to pay to get a media guide produced, to GIVE to the news media the same way every successful sport (including NASCAR) does, so the media will have information on the participants.

I shouldn't be doing a media guide at all, or even trying to do one. Each track, each series, should be producing its own media guide and giving it to the media; just as every college football team, every NFL team, every major league baseball team and so on, does.

Instead, what seems to happen in short track racing is that no one wants to lift a finger to provide the media with what they need as a starting point to do their jobs, but everyone wants to know why we get ignored by the media. If someone does manage to get a story in the paper or on TV, the newspeople are very likely to get an irate phone call from some other driver, or his wife or mother, screaming "why didn't you do a story on my driver!"

Because no one in the media has ever heard of your driver, because you send no press releases about your team and driver or do anything else to attract media attention to him or her.

Anyone hear Tony Stewart on Wind Tunnel tonight? He talked about one of his drivers, one he hired without ever meeting him, just talking to him over the phone. How did he hear about him? Saw his name in the paper after winning races, several times. Winning helped, but it was worthless until Tony saw it in the papers.

Winning races just isn't enough. Someone who can help you get to the next step has to know about it, know about you.

Want your series to have a sponsor? How (and why) would anyone decide to sponsor a series they've never heard of?

There's an old saying in advertising and public relations: you can't educate the client. In other words, if you don't know you need advertising and/or publicity, I'll never be able to explain it to you. But I love racing, too. I want it to be as big a sport as the others, and in many ways, it is. But what NASCAR got from R. J. Reynolds wasn't just money. R. J. Reynolds taught them to market their "product," and they learned the lessons well. You'd think more short track drivers, teams, track promoters and series owners would at least copy some of the things they did.

Unfortunately, as long as they keep wishing instead of taking some action, things aren't going to change, and no one outside of racing is going to take us seriously. But you can't educate the client...

tqj3

You are either getting paid a great deal more than I am

Probably not. But I do believe in DOING MY JOB. It is MY JOB to be as prepared as possible. That means making sure I have the information I need to do MY JOB.

In fact most people are shocked at how little I do get paid. :o

or you have both time and a love of the sport to do all the work

I try to get to the track when the gates open. That way I have a lot of time to gather the information I need. Sure it is a huge task, gathering all that information, but after the first couple of weeks you should have most of it done, then all you have to do is get the few new ones that show up for the first time.

Yes I have a love for the sport, but that ain't got a thing to do with DOING MY JOB. I question anyone in the PR or PA job that doesn't love what they are doing. I do MY JOB because that is what I am PAYED TO DO.

all the work the teams and series should be doing

I admit I don't deal with series to often, but, when I have (Texas Dwarf Cars, Texas Midgets) they always provide me with something. Usually it is a sheet with car # driver name and home town. That is usually all they want announced.

And anyway, I think you are blowing this whole thing out of porportion. We are talking about local Saturday night racers for the most part. Most of these guys just want to come out and have a good time. Most of them know they are never going anywhere. Most of them know there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Joe Gibbs is going to call and offer them a ride.

This is a HOBBY for them. For most it ain't a business, it is what they do in their spare time. Any work done in preparing press guides and info sheets is time taken away from preparing the car, or worse yet, even more time away from the family. Any racer that is serious, i.e. treats it like a business will do the things you are talking about. (or hire someone to do it for them).

I'm trying to profit off of their information?

Yes! It might not be a huge profit, but you are trying to sell someone something. And the bait your using to sell it is the driver's info.

Not questioning your motives. Just pointing out the reality of the situation. You are trying to sell a product. And you are asking other people to work to give you information that you will make money off of. You site the possible benifit to the racers by being included in the guide, but it is an intangible one. One that you can't quantify. But they can quantify the profit you hope to make.

Some drivers/teams/series will see the value to be gained by giving you the info. Others won't.

to GIVE to the news media the same way every successful sport (including NASCAR) does

and

just as every college football team, every NFL team, every major league baseball team and so on, does.

I think you are suffering from a lack of porportion. There is no local racing in Texas that equates to any pro sports. What you see out on the track each and every week is equivilent to a bowling league. Or dart league, or softball league. It is a bunch of people who get together each week and compete in their chosen areana.

Racing at the local level is a HOBBY. Always has been, always will be. If the drivers aren't doing it for fun, they will soon find a different way to get thier kicks on Saturday night.

Again, just pointing out the reality of the situation. Not trying to attack you or anything. Just trying to give you a different perspective on things.

Racing on the local level is a hobby, no different than any other competitive hobby you can be involved in. Softball, Midnight Basketball, Bowling, Skeet Shooting, Golf, Arm Wrestling, Roller Hockey, and a host of others. To the media it will be local people participating in a local hobby. I commend people who do try and educate the media, but it ultimatily is what it is. A local hobby.

Why not work on a media guide for the track closest to you. And this time, instead of asking others to give you info, you go get the info. Should take you no more than a week or two stomping around in the pits at your local speedway.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Well I am not sure what is going on here but racing is just a hobby to us but a very expensive hobby and we could not do it with out our sponsors. The way I see it we a moving bill boards and the more advertisment we get the advertisement the sponsors get and the more sponsors the drivers will get. It would be kewl to be able to show the sponsors a guide with the drivers info in it.

If we do not give the annoucer our info at the tracks we have been to they do not annouce it, it is our job at the few tracks we have been to.

But that is jmo.

I am not tring to get into the middle of what ever is going on here but I would really like to see more advertisement for local racing, the drivers and the tracks really need it.

"You can't educate the client."

Apparently that applys to media guide writers also :rolleyes:

racin4fun,

I hope you realize that I take sponsors very seriously. When I am the only announcer, or the head announcer, I will call all the sponsors of every car that is on the track, each time they are on the track. If I don't get them all in before they go green, I will catch up on the first yellow. If it goes green the whole way, I will get them at the end. One way or the other I will call all the sponsors. I try my dead level best to gather all that info before the race begins.

Please don't take my comments about racing being a hobby at this level the wrong way. I absolutely love local Saturday night racing. I would rather be at my local bullring on Saturday than at any Nextel Cup race. My point is that the media will never treat local racing like any professional sport, simply because it isn't.

That doesn't mean someone shouldn't try to raise the media's awareness. It is just being realistic about where local racing fits in to the sports world.

I hope your able to drive it on the trailer after every race this year.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

sarge

I have been to far more tracks that no announcer has ever came down and ask anything about me or my team or my sponsors and quit frankly when Im at the race track that is when I don't have time to talk at some one about this stuff. As far as being a hobby your right to a point about a snowballs chance of Joe Gibbs calling them but there might be a sponsor sitting in the stands who would, and most time we can't hear you guys say anything except between the races and that is a waste of space you guys are there to entertain the spectaors not promote my team. Also as long as guys like you treat this sport as a hobby the car count is going to keep dropping because sponsors want a return on what they put in the car they could care less about supporting hobbys and tracks and track personel that treat it like a hobby.Also there is people that want to make it in this sport and there is alot of people that have made it in this sport from TX and it is not because nobody knew of them it's because they made the contacts and presented a profesional image. As far as making money off of racers there is alot of us that do, chassis & part shops, engine builders, graphics and lettering people and so on. So when a race track presents a hobby image even though the cheapest car there still has several thousand dollars in it it's effects alot more that than the racer, it effects small bussness that support your local tracks and racers.Im glad that you like your job and you, do a fair job at it, but i think that I will get alot more press for my team off a profesional media guide that i do off a Saturday night announcer. TQ has had more news about local racers put in the media than anyone in this area for many years along with Chuck. So before you condem some one about what there doing you ought to take a look at the big picture

Sarge

That is great that you go to the driver to make sure you get all thier information. Most announcers do not do that. I all ways make sure the annoucer has all of our teams information. There are a lot of cars and drivers at the track and I am sure some one in the pit crew, family or friend could take the time to inform the announcer of the drivers sponsors. Our sponsors come to watch us race and like to hear thier business annouced durring the race. We also take our cars in the local parades. I think there needs to be more media for local racing. There sure is enough for all the other local sports.

Sarge you sound like you are a great annoucer and I am sure the drivers appreciate your effort to get the information about them.

And we hope we can drive our cars on the trailers after every race also :rolleyes:. But we run the Bomber class at CC lol. We have had to have them put on the trailer with a wrecker before lol.

Good luck to all!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Fast Turn LEFT!!!!!!!!!

supertx

I think if you go back and reread what I wrote you will find we are actually in agreement.

as long as guys like you treat this sport as a hobby

Have I said I treat it like a hobby? No, I said the media treats it as a hobby, because it is one. And local Saturday night racing will never get any more media attention than that. It is the facts of the matter.

I do my job as professionally as possible. I am not a "broadcasting" professional. I don't work for any or in any media. I am a Computer Technician. That is my profession. However I treat what I do behind the mic as seriously as I treat the computer systems under my care.

sponsors want a return on what they put in the car they could care less about supporting hobbys and tracks and track personel that treat it like a hobby

And

you guys are there to entertain the spectaors not promote my team

Those two statement contridicte each other. So what am I supposed to do? Ignore the sponsors? Just be the goofy windbag behind the mic?

Or am I supposed to do my best to promote the sponsors that make the races possible?

Which is it? (retorical question)

At any track where I am the head announcer, everytime a car is on the track for a race, all the sponsors of that car will get mentioned. Every car. Every sponsor. Everytime. Of course that is if I have the information to announce. Then I will try to be witty and funny and entertaining.

And I don't wait for you, your team, the track, the drivers or the fans to give it to me. I go and GET the information. And if you don't have time at the track to provide me with..

Name

Hometown

Chasis

Enginge

Sponsors

Experience

Significant Accomplishments

Crew members

Then I guess it ain't important to me either. How else do I get the information in a manner that I can read it when it needs to be read? I don't hand you anything. I ask questions, all you have to do is answer them, I do all the writing. Heck most guys are unloading the car, changing tires ect as I am writing down the info.

On one hand your blasting me for bothering you while your at the track and then I get blasted for not supporting racing and the sponsors. Which is it? What the heck is an announcer to do?

I'll tell you this. The lazy ones will wait for someone else to do their job for them. I am not one of those. I need that information, I go and get it. It is my job, and one that I take very seriously.

I have no problems with someone doing a media guide. Hell I would be more than happy to contribute what info I have to a project like that. The problem I have in this case is the media guide writer blaming the driver/teams/series for not doing his job for him. That is my point. In my experience, if you depend on the drivers/teams/series to provide you the info, your going to get just what this gentleman got. Not a whole lot.

As far as making money off of racers there is alot of us that do, chassis & part shops, engine builders, graphics and lettering people and so on

True. However there is one important difference in the examples you gave and the media guide idea. The races get something concrete and tangible in thier hands. A new chasis. A carburator. New Tires. Decals to put on the car. A media guide is an intangible thing. They can spend the time and effort to get the info sent in for ......... what? What exactly is it that they are getting again? And why should they work to profit someone else? That is my point.

Again, I have absolutely no problem with someone wanting to put together a media guide. It is the method used in this case to try and get it done, and then who got blamed when it didn't happen, that I have a problem with. And I was pointing out why that method was flawed.

supertex, it seems that maybe you have never been to a track that had an announcer that cared about his job before. I don't mean didn't want the job, or wasn't entertaining. I mean cared enough about it to DO the job correctly. I am not saying I do it better than anyone else, I am just saying that I do care deeply about my job as an announceer and doing it the way it is supposed to be done. And not just be another poser behind the mic.

Come follow me around before the races at I-37 Speedway next Saturday. You will see on one hand how easy it is for the drivers and teams to provide the information I need, and on the other, how hard I work to get that information.

Thank you

Bill "Sarge" Masom

PEOPLE IN THIS DAY AND TIME ARE USED TO SOMEONE WANTING TO DO SOMETHING AND NOT DOING IT..... SAME AS THIS.... AFTER I WENT TO MY SPONSORS AND TOLD THEM OF YOUR IDEA , THERE RESPONSE WAS HAVE YOU SEEN THIS BOOKLET HE WAS MAKING ... NO .. HAS HE BEEN OUT THERE DOING THIS FOR A # OF YEARS ....MY RESPONSE WAS I HAD NEVER SEEN IT .. THERE RESPONSE ......LETS WAIT AND SEE IF HE REALLY MAKES A GOOD THING AND WE WILL BUY SEVERAL PAGES NEXT YEAR... WHEN AN IDEA IS A GOOD ONE ... IT HAS TO BE BACKED THEN SOLD... NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE AFTER OUR ECONOMY SLUMPED ARE WILLING TO SPEND MONEY ON A MAYBE.....

Yes, this thread is regarding that guide you mention. However, I'm not aware of being in the works for a number of years as your sponsor suggested. Maybe TQ will correct me on this, but my understanding is that it was going to be new for this season.

cs

Sarge first off i've raced all over the country from Daytona to the Bonnieville salt flats and your right very few announcers care enough to come down to find out whats going on. Yes it's good that you promote our sponsors on the mic but how often do you get to say our sponsors name and how much effect does it really have. Im sure that it does do some good but what about the other media, they have know clue to who everybody is and what there stats and accomplishments are verses the stats that are advaible for the stick and ball sports.An exampe is if Joe armedia[sp] would win Daytona tonight none of the local media has a clue to who he is.Where if a guy hits a home run there flooded with stats they can look at.Yes the media treats us like a hobby but I ask whos fault is that? Just because we race on Saturday nights locally doesn't mean that we don't need sponsors and coverage for them. We have know media guide that they can look at, all they get is a few things that a few people send them but nothing that's professional that they can take serious.Yes when a racer goes to a engine or chassis shop they walk out with something in there hand but PR work is not for free either ,it takes foot work, phone calls after phone calls and to print something like what TQ is trying to do is not cheap either.Sarge if the media doesn't start giving our sport some coverage it's going to vanish. Even the starter classes are getting to a point that they need sponsors because of cost and without the coverage to promote there sponsors there's know return or very small on the sponsors dollars that they put in somebodys race program.Keep up the good job and I will look you up the next time Im at a track that you are announing at

Archived