Hurricane Ike Disaster Relief

debwill

We've set up a Food Drive on Saturday, September 20, at Thunderhill Raceway. See details on flyer below.

Thanks, Lori Fitch, for taking the lead in setting up this disaster relief effort following the destruction from Hurricane Ike.

We ask all of our drivers, crews, staff - and especially our fans - to be generous to those in desparate need of our help right now.

post-29-1221658839_thumb.jpg

Please thank Lori Fitch, not me. She has really taken the "bull by the horns" to put this drive together on such short notice.

We'll be issuing a press release soon that includes some other efforts by THR to help out with the Hurricane Ike evacuees.

We need your support for this effort. Lori Fitch continues to work hard at making this drive a success. And others are doing their part too.

Sharon Chandler from Roadway Specialties (one of our THR sponsors) has really taken an active role in helping with this drive.

First of all, Roadway Specialties has offered their VIP suite to the Capital Area Food Bank this weekend. After the stress from this past week, I'm sure those folks are ready for a few hours of relaxation in the AC.

Also, after inquiring about making a contribution directly to the Food Bank in Thunderhill's name, Sharon and the fine folks at Roadway made a $1,000 donation to the Food Bank. That's just awesome!

And if that wasn't enough, Sharon is rounding up some clothing and shoes for a member of our racing family, Amanda Neer, who completely lost her home due to the hurricane - with just her PJs on her back.

Mary Ann has delivered tickets to this weekend's race to evacuees all over the area - in the shelters, to their hotels, etc. We know that they will welcome a chance to get away from the stress (and boredom) they've been experiencing all week.

If you'd like to help with this effort, here are a few items we'd like for you to consider:

• Post the flyer above in your workplace - or wherever they'll let you post it!

• Amanda has an immediate need for a microwave. Would anyone be willing to donate a new or a minimally-used microwave to her? If so, please let me know. She will be at THR this weekend, and I'd like to send one home with her!

• If you'd like to follow Sharon's example, you can make a monetary contribution on line directly to the Capital Food Bank, you can just go their website at Capital Area Food Bank of Texas and include a note in the special comments section that it's for "Thunderhill Raceway Ike Relief Food & Fund Drive." Or you can make a donation in person or over the phone and notifying the Food Bank representative that it's for: "Thunderhill Raceway Ike Relief Food & Fund Drive."

• Bring you contributions to THR on Saturday!

I hope we can count on support from each and every member of TSZ and the racing community.

Just trying to keep it fresh in everyones minds.

Please Help!!

Those affected need our help.

Thank you again Roadway Specialties. Your $1,000 donation will buy $4,000 worth of nutritious meals through the Food Bank.

Every $5 donation buys $20 worth of nutritious meals.

The big need is for canned meat with pop top lids and diapers of all sizes.

Let's all pull together and see what can be accomplished when our neighbors, friends and families are in need.

Edited by FitchRacer07

Hello all! As Deb mentioned we have severe damage to our home in the Mont Belvieu area, we are uncertain of the amount $$ of damage or if the house is totaled we are waiting for the adjuster to go look at it. I want to thank everyone for their support at such a difficult time.

It hurts my pride to ask for assistance, but gotta do what you gotta do. I have always been the one volunteering at shelter, especially after katrina, and donating items to the evacuees, it is very weird to be on the other side of things.

I have refused to cry over this ordeal because I believe, if God brings me to it, God will bring me through it. But the support I have recieved from the racing community makes me teary eyed.

Maryann, Deb, Theresa and Sharon, the four of you have been amazing, I look forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

Amanda neer ;):P

I just got a call from Cheryl James - Colt James' mom - and she has offered to bring a brand new microwave to THR for Amanda.

Thanks, Cheryl. As I've said before, folks like you are making a difference to those in need.

We just got word tonight that Tuffy Hudson also lost everything due to Ike. For those of you who don't know him, Tuffy drives the #7 Pro Modified, and I think he's from Ingleside, TX.

I hope we hear more from Tuffy soon so we can see what we can do to help during this really tough time.

Thank you to all of you who donated items to the food drive. For those that would like to donate you can still donate either by phone, on line at austinfoodbank.org or in person at the Capital Area Food Bank on South Congress. Be sure to let them know that it is for the Thunderhill Raceway Hurricane Ike Food Drive.

Thank you again and hope to see everyone at the Spectacular.

Edited by FitchRacer07

Let me know if someone from our racing family who was affected by Ike can use a small-ish plug-in refrig..works fine, it's something you'd find in a college dorm, but it definitely works...

I can bring it on Saturday if someone wants to pick it up..

Texas speedzones Kirby Honeycutt (and his mom&dad) lost everything in Bridge city,Tx.Out of 3500 homes inside the city limits,only 14 DIDN'T flood.I can't even put into words what that city is like right now,it's something you just have to see first hand.My heart goes out to all victims of Ike,the whole deal is really sad!!!!!! :(

I am lucky, little damage, but I am surprised how much it costs to replace groceries. It is the little stuff like Ketchup, sour cream, salad dressing, ect... that add up to $300 in a grocery cart. Like I said, I am lucky, some people like Kirby lost everything. Good luck to everyone for the rest of the season. Good luck to everyone that is rebuilding their lives!!!