Nascar On XM Radio

NewRacer

I have been listening to the XM radio New s show for the last 3 months.

They have a segment that the feature short tracks all over the USA, and the owner , or promoter of these tracks talk about their track & what kind of classes they run.

I have noticed that amny of these track owners have mentioned that the increase in the popularity of NASCAR has not helped their short track business, both with their Fan base , or getting componay involvement for Sponsorship.

One of the owners stated that at a Nascar race last year they polled the white collar Nascar RAce fan & asked them If they knew about the local short track in their city & 80% said no.

I was driving , so I am not too sure of all of the exact names & numbers , but this is close enough for everyone to get my point.

I thought before listening to this that it was just in Texas , but it sound like if you are not in and around North CArolina area it is just as tough to get Most Nascar fans to support their local track.

I do not think this is just a TEXAS racing problem.

Just something That I thought I would Throw out to see what your people think.

Victory Lane

Interesting! While covering the races at TMS last year, Chuck introduced me to Clare Lang, who was the NASCAR XM correspondent covering the races. She had me do segments each day on the World of Outlaws that were running on the TMS dirt track because she had "so many" people calling in wanting results/recaps. Maybe that's just because it was a major touring series?

I went to a Goodys Dash race at Hickory Speedway in North Carolina about 10 yrs ago .The NASCAR Late models were the undercard to the Dash race there were 16 Late Model cars and about 700 people in the stands.There were more people in the pits than in the stands and thsts at one of the oldest tracks that nascar had at the time. There were three classes of 4cyl that had 18 to 20 cars in each race ,on a 3/8 mile track tats pretty good,they had a pro sedan style class astreet stock 4 cyl class and a pure stock type class. The regular charger style class had about 8or 9 cars and their superstock class had about 9 cars. they also had a limited late model class that was running stright 6 cly engines and ther were about 12 of those . I remember the lack of fans in the stands .It blew me away because of where I was.

The World of Outlaws is a whole different animal.They come to major cities 1 maybe 2 times a year and with all the races being shown on tv most race fans of any level now about and have seen them on tv and will because it is a spectacle and they know it. At least it's that way when i have seen them in Houston,Dallas,etc.

For the past 7 years i have been associated with Allison Legacy Race Series,Donnie and Allison Bros Race Cars of North Carolina.Same problem everywhere in the past we have had big sponsors Selkins paint, The Big Red Boat(cruise line),Water World and others,racing places like Hickory,Martinsville with 25 to 35 cars at every race and a points fund upward of $50.000 However the past 2 years we havn't had these and car count at same tracks 12 to 15 no fans in stands No Money, No Racers, No Fans,No Local Sponsors, funny how that seems to work. But i have no answers.

I guess my point is even with Donnie Allison and his family who makes most touring series races and is a main stay in racing it ain't easy to get sponsors which creates everything else,money,cars,fans and success.

This year we have been pick up by the Hooters Series which we will be racing with and enjoying some tv exposer, we'll see if good things happen again.

Short track asphalt racing tough everwhere!

Lloyd

Archived