Noteboom is fastest in Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational

rebelracewriter

Noteboom is fastest in Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational

BOONE, Iowa (Sept. 5) – Jay Noteboom didn’t need much time to reflect before comparing his Friday night Fast Shafts All-Star victory to his win in the 2005 Invitational.

Noteboom shot into the lead from the fifth starting spot in just three laps, then led to the checkers in the 10-lap Modified special at the IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals.

“I think this one was better,” said Noteboom, who’d been elected to the elite All-Star field for fourth straight year. “It was an honor to get in the race the first time. To get in again was awesome.”

“I didn’t want to start on the pole,” he added. “I’ve done that in this race before and couldn’t win from there.”

Benji LaCrosse started outside the front row and looked like he’d run away from the pack. Noteboom found the fast higher line and caught Ricky Alvarado for second on lap two, then charged past LaCrosse into the lead the next time around Boone Speedway.

Reese Coffee got around LaCrosse on lap nine. Ricky Alvarado and Steve Arpin rounded out the top five.

The win paid $1,000, plus another $800 in lap money. LaCrosse’s share of the purse included an extra $200 for the two laps he led.

“My car worked real good cutting down,” Noteboom said. “Benji showed me where he was getting in the corners and that’s what I needed.”

The fifth annual event was a qualifier for the 2009 Fast Shafts All-Star ballot.

Results – 1. Jay Noteboom, Hinton; 2. Reese Coffee, Hinton; 3. Benji LaCrosse, Luxemburg, Wis.; 4. Ricky Alvarado, Delta, Colo.; 5. Steve Arpin, Fort Frances, Ont.; 6. Johnny Saathoff, Beatrice, Neb.; 7. Mark Zorn, Russell, Kan.; 8. Justen Yeager, Green River, Wyo.; 9. Jeremy Zorn, Russell, Kan.; 10. Danny Deau, Little Suamico, Wis.

Archived