Southern Sportmod Natl's @ HOT 9-6-08 Results/recaps

Emerson Electrifies Crowd with Late Pass to Capture Southern Sportmod Title

Sherman’s Jeff Emerson used lapped traffic to his advantage in the final laps of the IMCA Southern Sportmod A-main Saturday night at Heart o Texas Speedway. Emerson who worked his way up from sixth starting spot, caught race long leader, Keith White as the two approached a slower car. White left the door open enough for Emerson to stick the nose in, and Emerson took the shot.

In what you’d expect in shootout with $2,200 up for grabs the two traded a little paint and exchanged body blows before White eventually got out in the loose stuff and half spun, tagging Emerson, and an infield tire before spinning to the infield. Emerson recovered and was able to motor on to the victory.

As the green flagged waved on the 24-lap, 25-lap starting field, White out raced Chris Cogburn into turn 1 to take the point. T J Green and Emerson both got past Benji Kirkpatrick on lap 1 for third and fourth. The top ten singled out by lap 2, as the rest of the pack still side by side battling for early positions. White immediately began to inch away looking like he could easily go flag to flag.

Emerson began to use the high side as he looked for way around T J Green for third. As Emerson and T J Green ran wheel to wheel they caught Cogburn. Emerson got second on lap 6 leaving Cogburn and T J Green side by side for third. Once clear Emerson methodically cut into the lead of White, catching him on lap 11. In the pack Jacob Pirkle was battling with Johnny Torres for fifth.

Emerson took a look outside White on lap 12 as the race reached halfway with White, Emerson, T J Green, Kirkpatrick and Pirkle in the top five. Chase Jupe brought out the races only caution when he rolled to a stop in turn 2 on lap 14. On the restart, Emerson again began to try high on White with Kevin Green getting sixth from J. Torres. Pirkle tried his luck on the top groove challenging and getting by Kirkpatrick for fourth on lap 17. With five laps to go, White had a slight three car length margin on Emerson, while Pirkle advanced to third getting past T J Green.

Emerson closed the gap on White as they came up on slower traffic. As the two dove into turn 1 behind a slower car, White left an opening on the bottom. Emerson stuck the nose inside White, with the two making contact. They rubbed again coming out of turn 2, but White tried to fight back on the top side. Again they traded paint in turn 3 sending White up into the loose stuff. White half spun off the top and clipped Emerson on the way by before tagging an infield tire and spinning to a stop off the track.

White tried to refire and return to the race, a broken steering box put him right back in the infield. Emerson was able regain control and take over the lead on lap 23. Behind all that, Pirkle had secured second from T J Green. Emerson was able to run unchallenged the final two laps in Smileys, Skidmore Racing, Red Dog Graphics, Jeff’s Performance Engines, Emerson Race Cars to take home the big payday.

“It’s pretty much dirt track racing,” commented Emerson. “That about explains it. When we got to the lapped car, he drifted up a little bit. I got underneath and we had a little battle there. I kept it together and held on for the win.”

“Coming to these big shows doesn’t bother me. I just drive it like I know how and never get nervous. As for the car we put some new sheet metal on it, jazzed it up a little to make it look good.”

“I had never been here before so the first night we watched Keith(White) hot lap to try to figure our best line. I figured if he could go that fast around here that I could do the same. I just always drive my own lines and see where we finish at.”

“I just ran a line that no one was else was running,” replied runner-up Pirkle. “I just got on the high side and picked them off one by one. You’ve just got to race your own race. You have just got go out there see what you’ve got, where the moisture is at and find the fastest way around if you can and keep the car straight.”

“I didn’t learn to race that way,” added a dejected White. “I try to respect the people I race with and expect that in return. This is twice Jeff Emerson’s done that to me. I led going into the first corner of the last lap a couple years ago at Grayson County. He knocked me out of the way and went on to win. Yes, it’s a part of racing, but not like I feel you should race. I don’t race anyone that way.”

IMCA SSM A-Main

1. 35 Jeff Emerson, Sherman

2. 41 Jacob Pirkle, Midlothian

3. 55 T J Green, Robinson

4. 971 Benji Kirpatrick, Elm Mott

5. 5D Kevin Green, Robinson

6. 66 Johnny Torres, Lake Hills

7. 5c Chris Cogburn, Robinson

8. 14 Ricky Heckel, China Springs

9. 3 Larry Killian, Greenville

10. 06 Randy Buttery, Duncanville

11. 07 Robert Black, Hallsburg

12. 99 Matt Winnett, Colbert

13. 9 Bennie Everhart, Red Oak

14. 23x Greg Atwood, Georgetown

15. 11 Mark McDanaiel, Elm Mott

16. 28 Gabe Tucker, Abilene

17. 355 Cary Stephens, Bells

18. 30 Chase Jupe, West

19. 58 Sid Kiphen, Gateville

20. 00 Brad Shirley, Springtown

21. 804 Chuck Copeland, Nacadoches

22. 1 Keith White, Academy

23. 021 Jason Gore, Forney

24. 31 Cody Smith, Forney

IMCA SSM B-mains(Top 4 transfer to A-main/redraw)

B-main #1. 41 Jacob Pirkle, 06 Randy Buttery, 31 Cody Smith, 30 Chase Jupe

B-main #2. 3 Larry Killian, 355 Cary Stephens, 9 Bennie Everhart, 58 Sid Kiphen

B-main #3.11 Mark McDaniel, 07 Robert Black, 23x Greg Atwood, 021 Jason Gore

IMCA SSM heat races(Winner transfers to A-main/redraw)

Heat 1. 99 Matt Winnett

Heat 2. 5D Kevin Green

Heat 3. 804 Chuck Copeland

Heat 4. 00 Brad Shirley

Heat 5. 28 Gabe Tucker

Heat 6. 14 Ricky Heckel

Stephens Completes Grayson County Speedway Sweep with Race of Champions Tally

Another Grayson County Speedway driver and Sherman resident, Cary Stephens completed the weekend track sweep when he scored the win in the IMCA Southern Sportmod, Race of Champions. Stephens took the top spot from early leader Frank Wright and never looked back on his way to victory.

It was 17-cars for 17-laps, with Keith White and Mike Stewart unable to make the call, as Wright and Stephens lead the field to green. Wright jumped out to the lead on lap 1 with Stephens and Robert Black battling side by side for second. Stephens secured the spot on lap 2, then put the pressure on Wright for the lead.

Stephens got past Wright coming out of turn 4 to lead on the third circuit, with Black following to second. Wright continued to surrender spots, giving way to Kevin Green on lap 4, then Johnny Torres and Eric Tomlinson on lap 6. Stephens increased his margin, while K. Green was challenging Black for second.

As Black and K. Green battled, J. Torres and Tomlinson closed the gap. J. Torres moved to the high side of K. Green on lap 10, as Tomlinson filled in on the bottom of J. Torres. J. Torres worked his way along side K. Green on lap 12. K. Green and Tomlinson made contact on lap 13 sending K. Green around, collecting main event winner, Jeff Emerson.

As the green waved for the restart, J. Torres got by Black for second, but in the pack several cars made contact leaving the body panels from Scotty Wallace’s car on the front stretch. Once back to green, J. Torres again got around Black for second, with Tomlinson now looking under Black for third.

Lap 15 saw Tomlinson, Kenneth Graves and Wright play a game of bumper tag in turns 1-2 as Tomlinson checked up trying to get under Black. Up front, J. Torres wasn’t able to cut into Stephens lead as he ran unchallenged in the final two laps to take the checkered flag in an Emerson team car.

IMCA SSM Race of Champions

1. 355 Cary Stephens, Grayson County Speedway

2. 66 Johnny Torres, South Texas Speedway

3. 07 Robert Black, 85 Speedway

4. 45t Eric Tomlinson, Texas Thunder Speedway

5. U2 Frank Wright, 281 Speedway

6. 171 Tommy Davis jr., Grand Prairie Speedway

7. 4g Kenneth Graves, Cardinal Motor Speedway

8. 00 Brad Shirley, Lake County Speedway

9. 28 Gabe Tucker, Abilene Speedway

10. 7 Scotty Wallace, Lubbock Motor Speedway

11. 94 Allen Torres, I-37 Raceway