ASCS/Texana Raceway Park results 8-30-08

ASCS Gulf South Region Sprint Cars @ Texana Raceway Park, 8-30-08

By J M Hallas

Edna, Tx.,(Au. 30th, 2008) Traveling up the coast, the ASCS Gulf South teams made the trip to Texana Raceway Park's 5/16 mile, semi-banked black gumbo track. This was the series first trip to the tight paperclip-shaped venue, that several drivers compared to Boot Hill Speedway in Louisiana.

Also on the night's racing card were the local Modifieds and Limited Modified running for some extra money, as well as the Bomber class. Al of which had $1000 added to the purse, with 200 on top and the rest spread equally through the field.

ASCS Sprint Cars

1. 41 Jason Johnson

2. 71 Channin Tankersley

3. 31 Brandon Berryman

4. 3 Gary Watson

5. 87 Aaron Reutzel

6. 21T Tommy Bryant

7. 80 Michael McNeil

8. 22 Coby Barksdale

9. 23 Daryl Wills

10. 35 Greg Rilat

11. 74 Brandon Corn

12. 79H Ryan Hall

13. 17c Greg Coleman

14. 8 Bruce Crockett

15.13m Kathryne Minter

16. 28 Richard Cooper

17. 22L Kent Lewis sr.

18. 14E Todd Evans

19. 53 James Cooper

20. 15T Travis Elliott

85 Jerry Bell---DNS.

ASCS Sprint Car heats,(top 8 in passing points redraw)

Heat 1. 41 Jason Johnson, 3 Gary Watson, 31 Brandon Berryman, 80 Michael McNeil, 74 Brandon Corn, 13 Kathryne Minter, 14E Todd Evans

Heat 2. 71 Channin Tankersley, 15t Travis Elliott, 35 Greg Rilat, 22 Coby Barksdale, 28 Richard Cooper, 79H Ryan Hall, 22L Kent Lewis sr.

Heat 3. 87 Aaron Reutzel, 53 James Cooper, 21T Tommy Bryant, 23 Daryl Wills, 8 Bruce Crockett, 17c Greg Coleman, 85 Jerry Bell

Modifieds

1. 87Lawrence Mikulencak

2. 94 Nick Hardcastle

3. 26 Darin Leonard

4. 22 Art Rodriguez

5. 12 Roly Rodriguez

6. 10 Wade Moyer

7. 29 Mickey Helms

8. 155 Vince Kacir

9. 3x Frank Fruia

10. 37 Brian Spindleman

11. 2W Paul White

12. 76 Jesse Manning

13. 66 Hunt Harrison

14. 52 A J Dancer

15. 85 Jeff Nix

16. 57 Dale Flanagan

17. 6 Vince Louden

9 David Meredith---DNS

96 Foster Ellison---DNS

Modified heat winners, 2W Paul White, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak

Limited Modifieds

1. 216 Paul White

2. 82 Josh Majek

3. 10 Wade Moyer

4. 12 Adam Perks

5. 26g J J Jennings

6. 211 Chris Carroll

7. 6 Vince Louden

8. 66 Hunt Harrison

9. 19 Doug Maxwell

10. 4PJoseph Penny

11. 69 Aaron Hudgeons

12. 17 Greg Brooks

13. 21 Victor Lindsey

14. 175 Mickey Helms

15. 25 Brian Brooks

16. 1 Jeff Moore

17. 12w Matthew Konvicka

9 David Meredith---DNS

3 Philip Cantu---DNS

888 Aaron Lunsford---DQ(Unsportsmanlike)

Limited Modified heat winners, 12 Adam Perks, 69 Aaron Hudgeons, 175 Mickey Helms

Bombers

1. 1 Nick Moore

2. 26 David McBride

3. 55 Monty Chamberlain

4. 31 Brian King

5. 36 Randy Kacir

6. 01 Lane Tipton

7. 5 Jackie Burnett

8. 88 Sandra Hudgeons

9. 89 Matthew Konvicka

10. 10 Kenneth Montgomery

11. 04 Adam Ivory

12. 77 Chris Shafer

13. 101 Rickey Koopman

14. R4J Danny Bennett

33 Charlie Mills---DNS

Bomber heat winners, 77 Chris Shafer, 1 Nick Moore

ASCS Gulf South Region Sprint Cars @ Texana Raceway Park, 8-30-08

By J M Hallas

Edna, Tx.,(Au. 30th, 2008) Traveling up the coast, the ASCS Gulf South teams made the trip to Texana Raceway Park's 5/16 mile, semi-banked black gumbo track. This was the series first trip to the tight paperclip-shaped venue, that several drivers compared to Boot Hill Speedway in Louisiana.

Also on the night's racing card were the local Modifieds and Limited Modified running for some extra money, as well as the Bomber class. All of which had $1000 added to the purse, with 200 on top and the rest spread equally through the field.

Johnson Goes Two for Two in Gulf South Speedweeks

Despite having Hurricane Gustov threatening his family and Louisiana home, Jason Johnson kept focused on the job at hand, finding his way around the tricky Texana Raceway Park course. Johnson, who drew the pole, jumped into the lead at the drop of the green and it was all she wrote. Johnson pulled out to a full straightaway lead, then survived two late restarts to grab his second win in as many nights. His chance for the triple play ended when 105 Speedway in Cleveland, Texas canceled its show because of Gustov, and road closures.

On the first attempted start, James Cooper spun and collected Travis Elliott just as the field took the green. As the 20-car ASCS Sprint Car field roared to life, Johnson beat Gary Watson into turn 1 for the lead. Channin Tankersley, Aaron Reutzel, Brandon Berryman and Tommy Bryant fell in line behind Watson. Johnson wasted little time pulling ahead, while Greg Rilat and Coby Barksdale got by Bryant for sixth and seventh.

Barksdale picked off Rilat for sixth on lap 3. Out front Johnson was approaching lower cars, as Tankersley got by Watson for second. Even traffic didn't slow Johnson down as sliced high and low past the traffic. Coming to the crossed flags it was Johnson by nearly a straightaway, over Tankersley, Watson, Reutzel and Berryman.

Tankersley had a scare on lap 16 when Ryan Hall spun in front of the Houston area young gun. The caution erased Johnson's huge lead, but he restart saw Johnson with a lapped car as buffer on Tankersley. When green waved again, Johnson easily motored away while Tankersley tried to get by the lapper. Berryman and Bryant were able to get past Reutzel on lap 18 for fourth and fifth.

With five to go, Johnson had rebuilt his margin on Tankersley to a full straight. Johnson almost threw away the lead and win on lap 22 when he out of shape trying to lap Greg Coleman. Just as Johnson took the white flag, and looked to be the easy winner, Bruce Crockett and Daryl Wills tangled with Crockett finding the wall in turn 3.

Under ASCS rules the field goes back to a green, white, checkered finish. Johnson again had lost his big lead, but had Coleman between himself and Tankersley. Johnson was quick on the throttle when green came back on, pulling away while Tankersley fought to get past the lapped car. Johnson ran unchallenged to the win in the Pope Refridgerated Transport, The Shop, Custom Equipment Design, Smileys, Wesmar Race Engines, Eagle Chassis.

“We just watched the track surface throughout the night,” replied Johnson about his first trip to TRP. “During the heats there was moisture around the top and we got a good run up there. After watching the Limited Modified feature it looked like it was taking rubber on the bottom so I moved down there for our main. The main is to keep from burning the tires off and be patient.”

'On those late restarts I just wanted to keep hitting my marks and keep it on the bottom. You don't want to give those guys to sneak by you on the bottom. I'll give them the top if they want to try and come around up there. As long as I hit my marks, I felt like we had a real good car.”

“We tried some different stuff here because of the shape of the track. We added a little gear to it to try to wind it up and slow it down with the gear. You don't necessarily run wide open, just pedal it and get it slowed down. Other than that we used the same bars, shocks and same basic set up.”

“We've got a couple weeks of before the next Gulf South or Sooner Regionals races. Then the beginning of next month the National tour has three important weekends we need to try to capitalize on to win the championship. That's what we need to concentrate on.”

ASCS Sprint Cars

1. 41 Jason Johnson

2. 71 Channin Tankersley

3. 31 Brandon Berryman

4. 3 Gary Watson

5. 87 Aaron Reutzel

6. 21T Tommy Bryant

7. 80 Michael McNeil

8. 22 Coby Barksdale

9. 23 Daryl Wills

10. 35 Greg Rilat

11. 74 Brandon Corn

12. 79H Ryan Hall

13. 17c Greg Coleman

14. 8 Bruce Crockett

15.13m Kathryne Minter

16. 28 Richard Cooper

17. 22L Kent Lewis sr.

18. 14E Todd Evans

19. 53 James Cooper

20. 15T Travis Elliott

85 Jerry Bell---DNS.

ASCS Sprint Car heats,(top 8 in passing points redraw)

Heat 1. 41 Jason Johnson, 3 Gary Watson, 31 Brandon Berryman, 80 Michael McNeil, 74 Brandon Corn, 13 Kathryne Minter, 14E Todd Evans

Heat 2. 71 Channin Tankersley, 15t Travis Elliott, 35 Greg Rilat, 22 Coby Barksdale, 28 Richard Cooper, 79H Ryan Hall, 22L Kent Lewis sr.

Heat 3. 87 Aaron Reutzel, 53 James Cooper, 21T Tommy Bryant, 23 Daryl Wills, 8 Bruce Crockett, 17c Greg Coleman, 85 Jerry Bell

Mikulencak Avoids Late Melee for Modified Main

Sometimes lady luck falls in your lap when you're in the right spot at the right time. Corpus Christi driver Lawrence Mikulencak wasn't even planing on racing Saturday night, but had a last minute change of heart. That decision pocketed him the bonus payday in the Modified main event.

Mikulencak, showed up late and unloaded just in time to tag the tail of the second heat race, which he won. After starting outside front row, he then fell back to third and looked like he might finish there. A late caution would set up a final shootout that saw Mikulencak go to the front, while the lead duo of Paul White and Jesse Manning went to the back.

Polesitter, White jumped out at the start of the 20-lap, 17-car Modified main with Manning, Darin Leonard and Mikulencak falling in line. In the pack Nick Hardcastle got turned the wrong direction collecting Mickey Helms. On the second start, White again jumped ahead, while Mikulencak and Manning ran side by side for second. Manning took the spot and was quickly on the bumper of White, literally.

Dale Flanagan brought out the yellow on lap 2 when he spun, with Helms again being an unwilling victim. Once back to green, White and Manning put a little distance on Mikulencak. It was only two laps before Mikulencak had run the top two back down. The top three were running nose to tail at halfway, with Leonard and Art Rodriguez filling out the top five.

Mikulencak then began to pressure Manning for second, giving White a little breathing room out front. Manning was finally able to shake Mikulencak in traffic, while White was having issues with slower cars. For two laps White tried to put Brian Spindleman a lap down. This gave Manning the chance to reel White in with three to go. White had to check up hard in turn 1 to keep from running over Spindleman. Manning couldn't get stopped in time tagging White and spinning him self out.

The contact caused White to have a slowly deflating left rear. Manning, who was given his spot back when caution was charged to Spindleman, was also wounded with a bent right front suspension. White hoped to nurse the flat home the final two laps, but as he hit he gas when green waved, it blew the tire off the bead. Manning was also unable to go on green. Mikulencak, Leonard and others scattered to avoid the slow moving duo. Leonard gave it his best shot on the last lap, but half spun getting righted by A. Rodriguez. Hardcastle, who had worked his way back up, saw an opening and moved from fifth to second as a surprised Mikulencak was taking the checkers in the Ace Transmissions, Youngs Auto Repair, Texas Battery, homemade chassis.

“Sometimes you're just lucky,” commented Mikulencak. “I knew Paul(White) had a tire going flat. I'm not sure what happened to (Jesse) Manning. I just missed them both on the restart.”

“The last time I showed up late in Corpus I won too. Maybe I'll start doing that. I just wanted to try some stuff on my car. It didn't seem like it worked very well, but I got lucky and won. I've won a couple races like this before, but I've been on the other of it too”

“This is 1996 homemade car that Randy Young and Adan(Arambula) built. They threw it away and I ended up with. I was going to build a pavement car with it and it didn't look like it was going to work so it got put out in the backyard. The kids and I drug it out and cleaned it up. Now it's what I experiment with.”

Modifieds

1. 87 Lawrence Mikulencak

2. 94 Nick Hardcastle

3. 26 Darin Leonard

4. 22 Art Rodriguez

5. 12 Roly Rodriguez

6. 10 Wade Moyer

7. 29 Mickey Helms

8. 155 Vince Kacir

9. 3x Frank Fruia

10. 37 Brian Spindleman

11. 2W Paul White

12. 76 Jesse Manning

13. 66 Hunt Harrison

14. 52 A J Dancer

15. 85 Jeff Nix

16. 57 Dale Flanagan

17. 6 Vince Louden

9 David Meredith---DNS

96 Foster Ellison---DNS

Modified heat winners, 2W Paul White, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak

White Takes the Mighty Mopar to Limited Modified Win

The White family has long been a familiar name in central Texas racing. Paul, a multi-time All Star Winged Modified, NASCAR Regional, and Silver Crown Champion makes his way down to south Texas with the Bridwell Motorsports team. Brother Keith, a two-time IMCA Southern Sportmod Champion and current points leader, is usually tearing up tracks and competition around farther north.

Tonight was Paul's night to carry the White family banner as he patiently stalked early leader Aaron Hudgeons getting by on lap 14. White had to hold off Hudgeons until he broke, then kept a 10-car length margin on Corpus young gun, Josh Majek in the final laps to take the win.

At the start of the 18-car, 20-lap Limited Modified feature Adam Perks was first into turn 1 with the lead with a three wide battle for third. Hudeons had just gotten by Perks who got sideways in front of the field starting a chain reaction that saw Helms and Aaron Lunsford get together, while others pin-balled around in the pack. Hudgeons led the field back to green, with White getting by Perks for second, as Vince Louden got past Majek for fourth.

White quickly ran down Hudgeons for the lead while Majek took his spot back form Louden. Wade Moyer moved in on Louden and took over fifth on lap 3. Hudgeons and White began to put some distance on Perks, as Louden, J J Jennings, Hunt Harrison, Chris Carroll and Victor Lindsey slugged it out for sixth. Lunsford brought out the yellow on lap 8 when he looped it in front of the lead duo.

Once back to green Hudgeons got a good jump on White, while Parks, Majek and Moyer battled for third. At halfway the top five were Hudgeons, White, Perks, Majek and Moyer. Majek and Moyer both got past Perk on lap 10. Yellow waved on lap 13 when Greg Brooks spun in turn 4. As green waved again, White jumped to the high side getting along side Hudgeons and by for the top spot on lap 14.

Hudgeons tried to fight back on the bottom, but couldn't get th point back. Jennings and Perks ran side by side on lap 15 for fifth, with Perks holding the position. Hudgeons night came to an end with a broken transmission as he rolled of to the infield. This left White a 10-car length advantage over Majek and Moyer who had their own fight going on, now for second. At the checkers it was White in Bridwell Motorsports, Moper powered, Dust Devil Chassis taking the win.

“We worked and worked on (Aaron)Hudgeons most of the race,” said White. “I just kept working him until I saw a spot I thought I could take advantage of him and go on. It took almost the whole to do it, but we got there.”

“Vernon Bridwell owns both the cars. He spends all the money, while Jim and Penny spend the time getting these cars ready during the week. We have a good deal going with this team. It makes it a nice combination.”

“I like these Dust Devil cars because I know if I'm searching for something I can count of Jim(Chapman). It doesn't matter if we have to cut something off, we'll work at it until we get what we think we need. In the end we usually figure it out.”

In the Modified feature we were trying to get by that lapped car and Jesse(Manning) got into me a little bit. I knew I had a tire going down, but we elected not to change it and try to nurse it to the finish. It was going down slow, but when I got on the gas it came off the wheel. With two laps to go, we probably ended up the same position as if we had stopped to change it. It's no big deal”

“We may look for a car to run the IMCA Sportmod Nationals next weekend. It never hurts to go up and rub a little on Keith. We enjoy racing together. We don't get to do it to much. Some of the big races at the start and end of the year we get to run together.”

Limited Modifieds

1. 216 Paul White

2. 82 Josh Majek

3. 10 Wade Moyer

4. 12 Adam Perks

5. 26g J J Jennings

6. 211 Chris Carroll

7. 6 Vince Louden

8. 66 Hunt Harrison

9. 19 Doug Maxwell

10. 4PJoseph Penny

11. 69 Aaron Hudgeons

12. 17 Greg Brooks

13. 21 Victor Lindsey

14. 175 Mickey Helms

15. 25 Brian Brooks

16. 1 Jeff Moore

17. 12w Matthew Konvicka

9 David Meredith---DNS

3 Philip Cantu---DNS

888 Aaron Lunsford---DQ(Unsportsmanlike)

Limited Modified heat winners, 12 Adam Perks, 69 Aaron Hudgeons, 175 Mickey Helms

The Bomber feature saw the front row of Chris Shafer and Nick Moore stay side by side as they took the green for the 20-lapper. Monty Chamberlain got punted into the infield falling back in the pack. Shafer eked out the advantage as the two stayed door to door. Moore edged ahead on lap, finally securing the spot. Danny Bennett moved in to challenge David McBride for fourth.

Shafer didn't give up easily as he took repeated looks under Moore on laps 3-4. Kenneth Montgomery then closed on Bennett for fifth as they ran side by side. McBride, Bennett and Montgomery were almost three wide on lap 8 as they ran up on a slower car. Bennett tangled with the lapped car, bringing out the yelow and sending him to the pits with damage.

On the restart, Moore and Shafer pulled ahead while McBride looked high on Randy Kacir for third. Montgomery and McBride resumed their battle, with Montgomery picking up fourth on lap 9, while Chamberlain worked his way back up to sixth. Montgomery got round Kacir on lap 10 for third and began closing on Shafer.

Shafer slowed dramatically on lap 14, with Montgomery having to slow to avoid him. Kacir ran into the back of Montgomery sending him around to bring out a caution. Once back to green, McBride had to hold off Chamberlain for third while Montgomery was hanging on to Moore up front. Montgomery slid too high off turn 4 and slapped the wall with two to go. Moore got a good jump on green as McBride, Chamberlain and Brian King battled for second. At the checkers it was Moore scoring the victory by several car lengths over McBride.

Bombers

1. 1 Nick Moore

2. 26 David McBride

3. 55 Monty Chamberlain

4. 31 Brian King

5. 36 Randy Kacir

6. 01 Lane Tipton

7. 5 Jackie Burnett

8. 88 Sandra Hudgeons

9. 89 Matthew Konvicka

10. 10 Kenneth Montgomery

11. 04 Adam Ivory

12. 77 Chris Shafer

13. 101 Rickey Koopman

14. R4J Danny Bennett

33 Charlie Mills---DNS

Bomber heat winners, 77 Chris Shafer, 1 Nick Moore

“This is 1996 homemade car that Randy Young and Adan(Arambula) built. They threw it away and I ended up with. I was going to build a pavement car with it and it didn't look like it was going to work so it got put out in the backyard. The kids and I drug it out and cleaned it up. Now it's what I experiment with.”

Nice job by the "George Strait of Dirt Track Racers". That statement above says a lot.

I was confused on the line up with the last restart, but now reading that the caution was charged to the Spindelman car explains that.

For those where not at Texana last night, you really missed an impressive outing with the ASCS Sprints. Pretty easy to see why Johnson is on top of the ASCS national points this year. What a fan friendly group all of the ASCS drivers were. A real treat for the fans at Texana.

Also, excellent write up Jay.

Edited by texana55

The sprints cars were really cool to watch, I hope they liked the track and come back soon. I was starting to have a good night until the motor let go. After surveying the damage to my motor I wouldnt recommend buying connecting rods from RPM International. Two of the three sets we have bought have pulled in half without any visable signs of bearing failure or rod bolt failure, and no discoloration of crank. My max RPM on the recall was 6300 so thats not a factor either. Just trying to save somebody else a headache, I would stick to the scat or eagle OEM replacement rods.

Monty I was noticing when the "stand on it" song was played there were people wiggling all over the stands and really have fun with it..good call,people liked it. I liked it!

Edited by vl racing

...Monty I was noticing when the "stand on it" song was played there were people wiggling all over the stands and really have fun with it..good call,people liked it. I liked it!

I'm glad the folks on this forum gave me the idea to load that one... We had something ready for every time the sprints pulled out on the track and that was probably the best one of what we had. I think people enjoyed having that.

- Monty

Monty,

How many fans did we have in attendance saturday, from the track it looked packed? I was busy on the pit side and never got a chance to go over to the other side.

I had to leave in relation to my Mon-Fri job and storm preparation before I could ask for a final general admission count, but from the numbers given as they were counting before I left, it was somewhere between 1400 to 1500. Kind of like the Olympics. We broke the all time attendance record in general admission on July 12th and turned around and broke it again in general admission on Aug 30th. I have never seen so many people lined up at the concession building (all three sections). I'm thinking there was a lot of Bohemians there cause the beer was selling like there was no tomorrow. :D Looking around I have to say that each and every staff member earned their keep on Saturday.

The weather was touch and go and had that not been the case, we would have had even more in general admission. The weather definitely impacted the pit side competitors. Having the pit passes at $30 may have lost a few people that normally go to the pits. But, I applaud Bruce and Donna for setting the general admission tickets at only $12 for this show. That was a real statement of appreciation to the fans who support the track. That's the cheapest I've seen tickets for an ASCS show.

Edited by TRP

Monty,

This past Saturday was my first visit to the track and I had a great time!

Thanks for the alternate directions you provided in the other thread - they were spot on. At first I thought "how is this going to save me time?" - but after I got out of San Antonio metro and the speed limits went to 70 I was able to make it there in about 2 1/2 hours - that's driving very cautiously making sure I didn't miss any signs. Now that I know the route i can probably make it a little faster.

I got there right at 430 - when the shower hit.

I bought a pit pass because I don't get to many races and it's an opportunity to be near the form of racing I love the most. With the pass at $30 I debated a little because it was $18 over GA, but decided it was worth it to me. It also helped because I was able to go down and get the lineups off the boards and allowed me to familiarize myself with the cars and drivers. And the $12 GA pricing was awesome - it was $15 at Waco, and pit passes were $25 - less of a price difference, easier decision.

One recommendation would be to turn the speakers a little toward the main stand (or add 1) because it's a little hard to hear the lineups and explanations when the cars are on the track getting lined up, or rolling around under caution. Of course, we could always move - next time I might bring a lawnchair! :-)

But overall, I liked the track, everyone was friendly, the food was good and reasonably priced. People I sat next to said they didn't remember the stands (on the front stretch) being that full. It was a really good experience and I hope the sprints come back. Other people I sat around had never seen sprint cars before, and they loved it.

One recommendation would be to turn the speakers a little toward the main stand (or add 1) because it's a little hard to hear the lineups and explanations when the cars are on the track getting lined up, or rolling around under caution. Of course, we could always move - next time I might bring a lawnchair! :-)

Glad the directions worked out for you. I try to use that route each time I'm going into S.A, and it seems to be about the quickest I've found. Thank you for the info on the speakers. Were you in the elevated grandstands in the general admission area? I think those can be adjusted.

Thank you for making that long driver down and glad you had a good time. Hope you can make it back soon For sure try to make a couple or all nights of the USMTS show in Nov.

-Monty

Glad the directions worked out for you. I try to use that route each time I'm going into S.A, and it seems to be about the quickest I've found. Thank you for the info on the speakers. Were you in the elevated grandstands in the general admission area? I think those can be adjusted.

Thank you for making that long driver down and glad you had a good time. Hope you can make it back soon For sure try to make a couple or all nights of the USMTS show in Nov.

-Monty

Yes, I was in the elevated stands. I sat in the top row and I noticed the speakers were on the front edge facing away from the people in the elevated stands. Of course, if they are turned toward the crowd it may be too loud...I watched the modified feature from grassy area between the lower seats and the elevated stands and the sound system was great - it's just when you are in the elevated stands themselves it's a little hard to hear.

Definitely intend to get down for a USMTS show!

Thanks again!

The sprints cars were really cool to watch, I hope they liked the track and come back soon. I was starting to have a good night until the motor let go. After surveying the damage to my motor I wouldnt recommend buying connecting rods from RPM International. Two of the three sets we have bought have pulled in half without any visable signs of bearing failure or rod bolt failure, and no discoloration of crank. My max RPM on the recall was 6300 so thats not a factor either. Just trying to save somebody else a headache, I would stick to the scat or eagle OEM replacement rods.

Monty I was noticing when the "stand on it" song was played there were people wiggling all over the stands and really have fun with it..good call,people liked it. I liked it!

I saw somebody walking around the GA area with a piston and a mangled rod - was that yours? I could see it from the top row of the elevated stands - I thought to myself, "somebody had a bad night"....

Something I forgot to mention earlier. We were all guessing how fast the Sprints would be on the Texana Track. I was estimating they would be 115 to 120 in heats. Someone told me they'd never break 100.

We got Jason Johnson on radar for a few laps. He might have been faster, but we got him at 112 in his heat and several laps at 103 in the feature.

I saw somebody walking around the GA area with a piston and a mangled rod - was that yours? I could see it from the top row of the elevated stands - I thought to myself, "somebody had a bad night"....

No that wasnt my piston and connecting rod, that belonged to a gentleman named Gary Wright, and that would be a perfect example of happens when water gets down the air cleaner. Water was in the cylinder when he cranked the car and something had to give....lol. Mine wasnt examined until yesterday, and looked much worse. :(

No that wasnt my piston and connecting rod, that belonged to a gentleman named Gary Wright, and that would be a perfect example of happens when water gets down the air cleaner. Water was in the cylinder when he cranked the car and something had to give....lol. Mine wasnt examined until yesterday, and looked much worse. :(

Sorry to hear that....Here's a couple of pictures I took Saturday before hot laps....I thought your car was pretty sharp. Sorry about the smudge on the lens: I have a few pretty good pictures that are now in the digital trash.. :angry::rolleyes:

post-3723-1220326686_thumb.jpg

post-3723-1220326764_thumb.jpg

Edited by PAPosse

I saw that same guy....he was carrying it like a trophy......connecting rods aren't supposed to have a 30% bend in them. I wonder what the crank and cylinder wall look like?

I saw that same guy....he was carrying it like a trophy......connecting rods aren't supposed to have a 30% bend in them. I wonder what the crank and cylinder wall look like?

That connecting rod looked similar to my inner left tie rod after the feature. Tie rod has about a 45 degree bend in it. Not sure why it didn't snap. I knew the steering was acting weird after I got tapped in the left front wheel, but when I got to the trailer, I laughed to see one wheel straight and the other turned in at about 30 degrees. No wonder it felt so strange trying to get thru the turns. :o

Side note; I want to recognize Kenneth Montgomery who drove down from Huntsville to run with the Bombers. A young college student who made the long haul. I was super impressed with his positive attitude, maturity at 18, and good sportsmanship. That was just about the sharpest looking Bomber I think I've ever seen. I think Reb saw him in town washing the bugs off the car before he got to the track. Now that is some dedication to making the car presentable to the fans. I understand he's gonna try to make it back for at least one of our remaining nights. Good to see young drivers of his caliber. Thanks Kenneth for making the long haul and running with us.

He actually got out of it with just a bent connecting rod, believe it or not. I guess because it locked up as soon as it cranked, the motor didnt develop enough inertia to tear itself apart.

"that sure is PURRRTY car!!! "

Thanks Nea Nea... :D