Annual ASCS Sooner vs. Gulf South Shootout This Weekend!

Annual ASCS Sooner vs. Gulf South Shootout This Weekend!

Lonnie Wheatley, TULSA, Okla. (August 18, 2008) – The annual tradition continues, as the American Sprint Car Series Gulf South and Sooner Regions will square off against each other with a pair of events in Texas this weekend.

On Friday night, the ASCS Gulf South forces take on the ASCS Sooner Region contenders at Waco's Heart O' Texas Speedway. Then on Saturday night, the Gulf South vs. Sooner Shootout hits the famed Devil's Bowl Speedway in Mesquite, TX, for the sixth consecutive year.

Both of this weekend's events offer up a $2,000 winner's share.

While Regional bragging rights are on the line, both Regional titles are hanging in the balance as well.

Tulsa's Brian McClelland is trying to close in on a second consecutive American Bank of Oklahoma ASCS Sooner Region title, while three-time Gulf South points runner-up Greg Rilat is trying to put the series championship away for the first time.

McCelland enters the weekend ahead of Grahama, TX, shoe K olt Walker, who has cut the gap to just 29 points with a handful of events remaining including this weekend's double. Oklahoma City's Joe Wood, Jr., is third in ASCS Sooner points, with Glenpool, OK, racer Matt Covington and Lawton's Michael Brown rounding out the top five.

With eight ASCS Gulf South events remaining, veteran Texas City shoe Greg Rilat holds a 34-point lead over 2006 series champion Gary Watson of Beaumont, with defending champion Brandon Berryman of Missouri City, TX, just another four points back in third. Chris Sweeney of Channelview and Tommy Bryant of Conroe round out the current top five.

While Sooner Region contenders have dominated victory lane in past Shootout action, Berryman broke through to become the first Gulf South regular to reach victory lane in last year's event at Heart O' Texas Speedway. Louisiana's Jason Johnson topped last year 's Gulf South vs. Sooner event at Devil' s Bowl Speedway.

Both nights of racing action are slated to get under way at 8:00 p.m.

The semi-banked, 1/3-mile Heart O' Texas Speedway clay oval is located in Waco, TX, off I-35 Exit 343, then 0.6 miles north on east frontage road. For more information, contact the track at 254-829-2294.

The ½-mile high-banked Devil's Bowl Speedway clay oval is located six miles east of Dallas’ Loop I-635 on US 80, then three miles south on Lawson Road. For more information, contact the track at 972-222-2421.

The ASCS Gulf South Region is set for 23 nights of racing action at ten different tracks throughout Texas and Louisiana in 2008.

The American Bank of Oklahoma ASCS Sooner Region is slated for 20 nights of racing action at ten different tracks throughout Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas in 2008.

The nation's most prominent Sprint Car sanctioning body with a dozen different Regions throughout the United States in addition to the O'Reilly American Sprint Cars on Tour National series, the American Sprint Car Series' (AS CS) 17th year of activity will include approximately 250 nights of racing at more than 100 different race tracks throughout 28 different states and Canada.

Past ASCS Gulf South vs. Sooner Region Shootout Winners at Heart O' Texas Speedway:

8/31/07 – Brandon Berryman

7/21/06 – Jason Johnson

Past ASCS Gulf South vs. Sooner Region Shootout Winners at Devil's Bowl Speedway:

9/1/07 – Jason Johnson

7/22/06 – Larry Neighbors

7/16/05 – Kevin Ramey

10/16/04 – Kevin Ramey

7/12/03 – Kevin Ramey

Additional information regarding the American Sprint Car Series is available at www.ascsracing.com.

You should get your shot of Sprint Car adrenaline. These Sooner vs. Gulf South Shootouts usually get around 30 cars......remember to take a pair of googles......for the dirt/dust, not beer. :lol:

It's a go Friday night for me - leaving San Antonio around 2 - based on that, any traffic threats in the Austin or Waco area?

Mapquest shows it as right at 200 miles.

Looking forward to this bigtime!!

Going through Austin on 35 has gotten to be hell no matter what time of day....be prepared to stop....LOL When I went up there Memorial weekend there was construction in Temple/Belton, but it was a short slow down.....Waco should be alright...

Sarge should be up there with kiddos, and you should take a couple minutes to meet Slider if you never have. He's the Waco area racing guru and can tell you all about the locals.....He's easy to spot, look for his wheelchair parked along side the section in front of the flagstand.....or just ask...everyone knows him....he's a good guy.

If you were planning on Devils Bowl Saturday.....see the other "update release"....Devils Bowl out, Cowtown in. HOT will be a Gulf South only event so it will cut car count to about 18-24(my guess).

Wish I was going too.....

Going through Austin on 35 has gotten to be hell no matter what time of day....be prepared to stop....LOL When I went up there Memorial weekend there was construction in Temple/Belton, but it was a short slow down.....Waco should be alright...

Sarge should be up there with kiddos, and you should take a couple minutes to meet Slider if you never have. He's the Waco area racing guru and can tell you all about the locals.....He's easy to spot, look for his wheelchair parked along side the section in front of the flagstand.....or just ask...everyone knows him....he's a good guy.

If you were planning on Devils Bowl Saturday.....see the other "update release"....Devils Bowl out, Cowtown in. HOT will be a Gulf South only event so it will cut car count to about 18-24(my guess).

Wish I was going too.....

Thanks for the info Reb! I saw where the Memorial Day show had 35 cars....It's a little disappointing about the shootout - since that was part of the reason I had that date circled all year - but I'm going to go anyway. If they get 20 or so it'll still be good on a track that size...and it looks like a heck of a points race! I'm also looking forward to seeing the mods and the other classes. This will be my first time at HoT - and honestly may be my only time there - we'll just see what Uncle Sam has in store.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the Saturday show - but I'm taking what I can get at this point!