Houston Superspeedway progress?

NickHolt

Anyone have information about the progress at the Houston Superspeedway construction site? I visit their website quite often, but nothing's changed in months. Hopefully the work is progressing nicely.

Nick Holt

Nick,

Here's how bad things are with the Houston Superspeedway situation...

There was supposedly a "ground breaking" to start construction of the track, but even that is controversial. When i called out to get one of the HS guys on the air about it, I never got my calls returned back...Some folks in Houston racing said there was a ground breaking while others said it was "a photo op" that saw some dirt shoveled---and no more shoveling after that!

Since then, I tried to follow up a few times but have heard nothing. Sources in Houston don't know anything about it, and I finally got "official word" that the project was "placed on hold."

Placed on hold...?? Hmmm..sounds like another enterprising race project that I'm familiar with... :lol::lol:

I,m not quite sure what ground breaking you are talking about, however the first race at the new drag strip was scheduled for this past weekend but was rained out and re-scheduled for 01-31-04. Maybe this is of some help,maybe not!

LLOYD

I drove by the proposed Houston Superspeedway site not long ago. Indeed, nothing is going on. There is a gravel road onto the property and some electrical boxes on poles, but no other sign of activity. I live close to the site and had high hopes, but also had the attitude of "I'll believe it when I walk through the gates and there are cars on the track." Race fans in Houston have been down this road before....

My guess is its gonna be a real uphill battle to raise the funds to build the track. Houston Superspeedway is not a realistic candidate to get a Nextel Cup race - Bruton will get a second race at Fort Worth long before Nextel would ever contemplate coming to Houston, even with the size of the Houston market.

I think a model for Houston that would WORK would be a track similar in design to the 3/4 mile oval at Richmond, or the 3/4 mile oval that opened at Memphis Motorsports Park in 1998. You could host Busch, IRL, Trucks, ARCA, USAC Silver Crown, Sprints, Midgets, ROMCO, TSRS at such a facility. And construction cost would be far lower than what was being contemplated for the proposed Houston Superspeedway. Would fans in Houston embrace such a facility? I dunno. Crowds at most short track events in the Houston area that I have attended weren't exactly bursting at the seams.

I have to admit it did like the 1.3 mile egg shaped oval that was proposed for Houston Superspeedway. I think it would have been interesting to watch racing on that track. Anything but another cookie cutter 1.5 mile tri-oval!

Just my $0.02

Archived