Texas Racing History

marvinmcgee

• 1 month later...

That place was wore out when I used to race there in the 70's and 80's and I do know they never repaved it. I helped out some with track maintenance and rules committee during the time Lee and Alvin had the track.

Some good memories of that old track.

Scotty Garrett...

I raced my first asphalt race there in late June,1972.There were many fast VW bugs running at the time.I believe this was before TPS was formed.I had a lot of fun but was terrible.The next week I ran in San Antonio on the 4th.The Austin track was called Paramont Austin at that time.Ricky Ware was eather the promoter or he raced with us,too long ago to remember but I remember his name.

• 1 year later...

I can remember growing up at SAS and Longhorn when my mother ran the safety truck and my father was the flagman. They would let me go to the track every once while. I had blast out there. I wish to the two tracks were still open. I do want to go by there sometime and see the old tracks.

Wasn't the Austin 1/4 mile oval speedway, once known as Speed O Rama, operated by the late Louis Wusterhausen(sp?) during the '70s?

I do believe that is all correct. I know it used to be called Speed O Rama.

If I had read some earlier posting under this topic, I would have seen my question previously answered :huh:

i thought jesse james owned it now

The property is is the name of "The Bandaid Trust", which is held by an attorney for Sandra Bullock.

It took a lot of work to dig down to where it stated who owned it.

It is for sale once again.

• 2 weeks later...
I google mapped the old Northside Speedway in Houson. There's hardly anything visible.

:(

Was ya there in Feb '63, when Max Battles and Roy Tuley got together and Roy ended up in the pond outside turn 1? I'm thinking Roy was driving the '55 Chevy that had previously been driven in '62 by Tommy Tilotta. That exhibition event was organized/promoted by Bob Derrington, and the flagman was L :ph34r: J Honeycut.

Archived