Bill Waller racing update 8-2-08/8-9-08

rebelracewriter

Hey Race Fans,

I never got around to sending the update last week, so this week you are in luck. I am sending two.

How much Fluid does this thing hold?

Racing is like life. Lots of ups and downs. After having such an awesome night and getting our second clean sweep the week before, our luck turned south last week.

In the heat race, we started on the outside of the front row. The inside was the place to be and the polesitter got a jump on me. Instead of gassing it, I just let him go and they restarted the race. Well the next time around I thought we had a pretty good start, but the officials did not. They put us back a row and the next row tried to start the race twice before we finally got underway.

I was running in 3rd or 4th when I kept getting oil on my helmet and I was burning through tearoffs so I could see. Finally the car in front of me pulled off or I passed him and I thought “Now I will be able to see”. About a couple of car lengths later.. uh oh.. Oil is back.. It is me! I battled it for a couple of laps and then all of a sudden it looked like someone dashed oil in my face and all over the front of my firesuit. It let go. I went into the turn and almost crashed. I couldn’t get it to turn because my hands were slipping on the wheel.

When I got into the pits, the work began!! We borrowed parts from everyone. All we needed was an o-ring. As soon as I put a wrench on the fitting, it broke! And half of it stuck in the hose. We had to get it off and drive a screwdriver in to get the broke piece out. Long story short, we got everything put back together with about 2 mins before I had to race. So I climbed in and we started the race. About lap 10, I started feeling sick. Try driving 130mph and thinking, am I going to puke?!! I am sure I slowed down after that and we ended up 7th.

I was very proud of how we didn’t throw in the towel and gave it our all. The finish wasn’t so great, but man it was a heck of a night and I just got overheated and exhausted.

Hard Charge and a Little Luck

A much better night this week! We only added fuel, adjusted the wing, and moved he RR wheel in over the course of the whole night.

I started on the pole for the heat race. I was going to do like I did a couple of weeks ago. There was a nice strip of mud and I put my LR in it and drove straight to the flagstand and ran away. This week was a little different. The mud wasn’t tacky it was greasy. So I started the race and the car spun the tires.. darn it! I fell into second and caught up to the first place car, but didn’t have enough speed to pass. So we finished the heat in second.

The track still looked good for the feature, but it might start going away, so we tightened the car up some. I started on the outside of the front row and stayed on the high line through turns 1 and 2 about 3 laps too long. They were wearing me out on the bottom! I got passed! After nearly spinning out, I was back in 6th or 7th. On a restart, I decided to get on the bottom. DUH!!

So I got on the bottom and passed a car or two, then I found the groove in both turns and come alive. They gave my pass back because of a caution and that guy wasn’t making the same mistake again. So that held me up a little bit, but I came alive again and started moving forward. One car ahead of me spun out and one lost a motor, so that put me up to 5th. I started trucking around the outside of turns 3 and 4, and it was working! Everyone else was on the bottom and lifting while I stayed in it and took the high line around. The guys I was racing with are good guys and they gave me plenty of room and didn’t slide up into me. I made my way into second on the last lap coming to take the checkers! Crewchief Dusty said he had never seen me drive a race car like that!! It was a good run!

My Mom was at the races and she hasn’t been able to watch me race for probably 10 years or so, I wanted to win that race and dedicate it to her. I gave it all that I had!

Thanks to all my sponsors! You guys are the greatest!

Thanks for supporting Dirt Track Racing! The greatest sport on the planet!

Lubrication Engineers

Pro Racer Supply

Kay's Magic Quilting

Duke's Tree Service

Woods Outdoor Sports Guide

Denso Aftermarket

Smith Brothers Pushrods

Super Shox

Bell Helmets

Bardahl

Dedweb Designs

Archived