USAC fines Tony Stewart $10,000 for midget race

marc200mph

Tue Jul 29, 2:09 AM ET

INDIANAPOLIS - Tony Stewart was fined $10,000 Monday for what the U.S. Auto Club deemed unsportsmanlike conduct during a midget race last week at O'Reilly Raceway Park.

Tony Stewart Racing also was placed on probation for the remainder of the USAC season.

Stewart reportedly knocked a radio headset off the head of one USAC official and shoved another following a ruling Thursday involving Stewart's car, driven by Tracy Hines.

Hines scraped the wall and pitted for a tire change, but his car was not deemed ready to re-enter the race in time to rejoin the field for the restart.

"While we respect the passion of our teams in the spirit of competition, we regret this incident occurred and are dedicated to averting a recurrence in the future," Jason Smith, vice president of racing operations for USAC, said in a statement.

The statement also included an apology by Stewart.

"Obviously, I handled this particular situation the wrong way, and if I had to do it over again, it never would've happened," he said.

Stewart also volunteered to pay for new radios and uniforms for USAC officials.

"While what took place at ORP last week was unfortunate, we applaud Tony's commitment to bettering USAC and for providing additional equipment officials use week in and week out," said Kevin Miller, chief executive and president of USAC.

Link to Article

<_<

"Obviously, I handled this particular situation the wrong way, and if I had to do it over again, it never would've happened," he said.

Stewart also volunteered to pay for new radios and uniforms for USAC officials.

"While what took place at ORP last week was unfortunate, we applaud Tony's commitment to bettering USAC and for providing additional equipment officials use week in and week out," said Kevin Miller, chief executive and president of USAC.

So if you have alot of $$$, you can act like an jerkoff, acost two officials and all is well. If he act's like this as a USAC owner, is Cup Racing ready for this behavior at the top level of the sport?

I don't think 10K was sufficient. I think both of those officials could press charges for assault if they so felt inclined. Lenny66[/b]

i saw the video of stewarts fit ,his whole team should have been put on the trailer maybe for the next couple of races ,i can't imagine anyone at a short track i have been to being allowed to behave like that especially grabbing the officials headset from his head and then shoving the other guy coming up to the scene , think about it would any of us want our local tracks to just say" it's o. k. to put your hands on the officials if you are a superstar" i don't care who it is NO ONE should ever touch an official , we all get mad enough to chew concrete at times but hopefully most of us would never behave like that at least in public in front of several thousand people ,this is my opinion B)

Nightmoves 99, You are absolutely correct about touching any official. I have been around this racing scene a long time and touching an official, even a continuous verbal assault is grounds for expulsion from a racing facility. I have been extremely PO'ed at times and have had to stop a few shoving matches in the pits, but Tony's behavior was totally out of line, not out of character for him, but out of line as far as behavior from one individual to another. They should have had him removed from the track, loaded up their equipment and sent them down the road. But I guess $$$ talks. Sad thing to see. Just my 3 cents. Lenny66 B)

Then to turn around and kiss his [edited by debwill by popular request! LOL] for giving the organization some money is beyond belief. They should have told him where to shove his "kiss and makeup" money, fined him double what he was offering, kicked him out and then banned him for at least a year.

Nick

well just proves what i already knew..Tonny Stewart is a P.O.S. joe gibbs may be the smartest owner on the planet letting this hot head go. im bettin he will treat his nre wemployess at gothead moyorsports the same way..i give him 2 years befroe he has burned every bridge he ever crossed

my only question is what the hell is

ryan newman thinking?

DEB

I think you should "EDIT" Nicks use of "BUTT". Your the only one who has that power. Dont pass this up. It may never happen again. Just think of the power rush you'll get. It will go down in history!!!! :lol:

Yes, I am very aware that there are those who resent the fact that I do not allow much bashing, try to keep the site civil and remove most of the cussing and swearing.

Nick

But Nick likes Smoke's crewchief....

from ESPN sports. Is this the Nick we know?

====

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of brake dust that's created, especially at short tracks. Has pit crew safety ever been addressed in regards to inhaling that stuff?

Nick,

San Antonio, Texas

====

Zipadelli: Obviously, the brake pad material is not something we're worried about, as far as hurting tire changers and tire carriers. On the left front we always have an air hose over there and someone on the crew will reach over the wall and try to blow as much of the brake dust off as we can.

Unfortunately, you can't get to the right front. It's obviously a problem at the night races where visibility is an issue. Even though the lugnuts are a different color -- yellow -- you can't see them because they're covered in brake dust. That's why you'll see slower pit stops at a lot of the short tracks, and part of it is because of the brake dust and the heat from the brake ducts gets the lugnuts and the studs a lot hotter so that they end up a lot tighter and they're harder to get off. They're harder to see and they're harder to get off.

But Nick likes Smoke's crewchief....

from ESPN sports. Is this the Nick we know?

Sorry Larry - not me.

Hard to imagine, but maybe there's another Nick who lives in San Antonio besides me...

Nick

Archived