A Personal Thank You to the Drivers & Crews

TRP

I just wanted to say a personal thank you to the drivers / teams / crews for my plaque and gift card. That was very special and really did catch me off guard. About as close to speechless as I can remember for me, but I still figured out how to say something...lol.

Near the end of the 2006 season Bruce asked if I would help him with a flyer to promote our end of the year race. Between the 2006 and 2007 season I asked him if he wanted me to help him during the 2007 season and if so what kind of help did he need. He told me pretty plainly, "I'd appreciate it if you'd help me promote the track". From that point it grew into what I do today in helping the track. I must say, I quickly gained a serious respect for what goes into putting the show on each week and the facilitation involved.

As a kid (primarily a teenager) I was a huge fan of dirt track racing, and as a fan, I always studied what made for an enjoyable show. For me as a youngster, I felt that when a track had ways to connect the fans with the drivers that was great. Spectator races were my favorite as a teen, and I was fortunate to talk Bruce into letting us do those. 50 cent drinks and hot dogs were a huge hit at another track I went to and it turned out to be a huge hit for us also. I decided this year that the featured driver would be a nice touch for the fans to meet a driver and see the car up close. I also felt that the feature songs would help the fans to connect with a class of cars and thought quite a bit last winter about what song to pick for each class. I enjoy watching many of the fans standing up and moving to the song for a particular class when they enter the track. Most recently we started experimenting with radio commercials and that seems to be a good move when marketing certain events. Seeing different folks stepping up and sponsoring events has been a a tremendous positive.

In my mind, while there are many, many, many things that make for a successful show, there are three key ingredients. All three are truly equally important. 1. The drivers / teams / crews; they are the performers and supporting characters for the show. Taking some time to appreciate them in different ways is a must. 2. The fans; without the audience, there is no one to perform for. You have to appreciate the fans and last night with the bicycle give-away for example was a perfect way that the track management and the drivers / teams / crews show that they appreciate the fans. 3. The owner who invests in the facility; we have an owner who invests continously in improvements to the infrastructure of the facility and places importance on having the payout prepared before the night even starts. That is a big plus in this game. This day and time we're all lucky to have the place we have to race, the fans we have watching, and the high level of competion showing up at each event. On a marketing note, this site and others like it are a great venue for us to communicate information and market the show. I would always encourage though that any concerns be addressed in person at the track for good dialogue and one to one communication.

I'm honored to be helping with the show, and hope it can be as fun as it is now for a good while. Thank you again to everyone and see you August 2nd.

Oh yeah, one other thing. What does everyone think about our featured driver for August 2nd being someone who has provided a direct hand to an immeasurable number of drivers over the years? ...... None other than Mickey "Last Minute Racing" Helms will be our featured driver on August 2nd. Just one question..... Who will take responsibility for getting Mickey to the track early on that night?

-Monty

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO @ Victor.......Good freaking luck with that one. :lol::lol::lol: As long as I've seen Mickey race, he's ALWAYS been the last through the pit gate......maybe you should have just left the car there for the week.

Monty, you have a dauntless task in what you do, and do it quite well. Any accolades you recieve are well deserved.....Keep up the great work!!!

Thanx for allowing me to be part of the bike giveaway. That was too cool. I always enjoy my trips down there and getting to announce again was a blast. Thanx again for your help with costs as well.

Reb,

I have said it before and I will say it again, Monty is one of the best moves for the track that Bruce has made yet!! He is outstanding in what he does. I wish we could do more to return the favor. As far as Mickey is concerned, I may have to go get the car ready myself and hog-tie him and drive his truck to the track myself..lol..He will be there!

Archived