TTOPA suggestion/concern/issue for 2005

rebelracewriter

While marking race dates on my desk calendar I came across something that was a concern, to me anyway. In the period March-October, there are 6 dates with two of the five touring series racing against each other and 4 dates with three of the five running head to head.

Now I realize there are only so many possible dates if you only race on Saturday, posing the question what about Fri. nights or Sun. afternoons?(before/after the summer and 100% temps.) But there were 4 open dates also. In the past there have always been a few conflicting dates, but not as many. I also understand that TSRS is only in its second year, so it's difficult to compare fairly beyond that point.

But my point is, with the fan count being being spread as thin as it has been, wouldn't it be beneficial for tracks to schedule 2 or more series at the same track on the same night, instead of butting heads?

Now I don't know the financial feasibility for the tracks, but as I recall, for the ROMCO/TSRS/TAMS tripleheaders the stands were as close to full as I have seen them in a long time.

Just something that the TTOPA might ponder for the 2005 season and beyond!

Reb,

You probably noticed that "coordinating track schedules and touring series schedules" was one of the long-term goals set forth at the initial TTOPA meeting. I think you must have been lurking behind the waitress at Shoneys, because you are bringing up some of the issues that were brought up during that meeting.

Keep in mind that schedule coordination is a goal and that some goals might be easier to achieve than others. At least the three tracks have agreed in principle to attempt to work out a schedule that would address some of the issues.

Thanks for you input. It all helps.

Nick Holt

Archived