Clearing Codes

CC57

Hopefully someone on here can help me out.

Here's the scenario:

'99 Surburban 1500, about 155,000 miles. "Service Engine Soon" light pops on.

Go to Auto Zone (I'm an O'Reilly man, but I was told the Zone will run free analyzer tests on your car.). Code says replace Bank 1 (#1 cylinder side) #2 (just in front of cat) O2 sensor.

So I do (and while I was at it, I replaced the O2 on the #2 cylinder side also).

Start the car, light still on. Is there a key on-off- disco battery- turn key, etc. sequence I can run to extinguish the "Service Engine Soon" light?

Thanks all.

i work for autozone .just takes a few seconds to clear a code with our obd scanner ...but we are not suppose to do that ..company policy ..bs . ..if you need to get it cleared at an autozone ... get them to set the scanner up and you push the clear button if they wont. ill clear most codes myself ...pulling the batery cable off wont clear hard codes usually ..they will pop back up ..

A couple of things -

First - The #2 sensor is after the cat (as Claybuster said)

and

Second - On some models (like my '97) the pipes swap sides from what you would expect (i.e the bank #1 pipe crosses the bank #2 pipe and ends up the closest to the passenger's side, opposite what you would expect). This sounds like a silly mistake, but it is not so easy to tell when the vehicle is not on a lift.

Lastly, I believe this code will clear itself when the problem is corrected.

A couple of things -

First - The #2 sensor is after the cat (as Claybuster said)

and

Second - On some models (like my '97) the pipes swap sides from what you would expect (i.e the bank #1 pipe crosses the bank #2 pipe and ends up the closest to the passenger's side, opposite what you would expect). This sounds like a silly mistake, but it is not so easy to tell when the vehicle is not on a lift.

Lastly, I believe this code will clear itself when the problem is corrected.

some codes will clear them selfs for a short time ..but usually come back on ..

First of all, missed some of you replies while I was away for a few days. Thank you for the replies.

The code "cleared itself. I'll see how long it stays that way.

And now that I've replaced 2 of the 4 -or where there 5? - sensors in place, I may just replace the others while I'm at it ... just to be to the safe(?) side.

Thanks again for the replies.

Archived