NASCAR changes provisional rules for 2004

rebelracewriter

I say just have one provisional that would be eligible for #1) a driver in the top ten in the points standings, or if all top ten made it on time, #2)give it to a past champion. The fastest guys in qualifying should make the race. This would put more emphasis on qualifying and make the high dollar teams concentrate on it more since they wouldn't always have a provisional. I also think you would start seeing more of the high dollar teams go home.....EX: both Petty Racing teams, Larry Foyt would never make it, the third DEI car would usually be on the trailer, Kenny Schrader might as well not even show up, and there was many other even bigger names this year that would have missed the race if it were not for so many provisionals. I hate it when someone driving for a lower budget team on a limited schedule out qualifies 5 or 6 of the high dollar teams, yet still goes home because he had no provisionals. Darrell Waltrip would have only made a few races out of the last five years of his carreer had it not been for the provisionals he always had. The only time I remember him qualifying good at the end of his carreer was at the Brickyard in 2000 when he set on the outside pole. I think w/out provisionals you would see a more competitive series with many big name drivers missing atleast a few races a year, with the exception of Ryan Newman since he's about the only one that qualifies extremely well every week.

just my .02

Archived