A new era in Texas stock car racing dawns

NickHolt

Nick,

In the process of goal setting for the TTOPA, have you guys established a time line for bringing the rules in line among the three tracks?

Seems like the rules are so differentiated at this point that it would be prudent to take it slowly. I like the idea, but I would hate to have to change too much too fast.

Thanks

ss99 ,

I am in the process of creating a huge spreadsheet with all the rules for all the classes at the three tracks side by side. Although I have just started this project (it looks a whole lot bigger now than it did when I first envisioned it), it is pretty obvious that TTOPA has its work cut out. I doubt very much that major rules changes will be forthcoming for the 2004 season, but it might be possible to work out reciprocal agreements among the member tracks for 2004 if all goes well.

At the first TTOPA meeting in late December, the purposes were 1) to determine if the tracks wanted TTOPA and, if yes, 2) to establish some workable goals. No time lines were established and no specific action items were assigned except that I was to generate a set of bylaws to be voted on at the next meeting. (Anybody have a good general set of bylaws handy that they'd be willing to share with me??)

During the discussions, however, it was pretty obvious that a few track procedures might be agreed upon at our next meeting in Corpus Christi in February. An example of such a TTOPA track procedure might be that if a team was banned at one TTOPA track for a couple of weeks, that same team would be banned at all three TTOPA tracks for the same time period. Please note that I said that this was discussed and has not been voted on yet. But you get the idea. Some things will be easier to impliment than others.

There have been some very good suggestions in this thread about ways that TTOPA might impact racing for the better in Texas. I appreciate all the comments and I'm sure that Brian, Mike, Owen and Paul do as well.

Nick Holt

nightmoves99,

does anyone have an idea of the types of classes that are being discussed?

As I shared in an earlier post, we haven't gotten that far yet.

But it only stands to reason that TTOPA won't be trying to invent new classes. The plan is to modiify the existing rules for each of the existing classes so that cars from any TTOPA track could run at any other TTOPA track.

For instance, this would mean modifying the existing Late Model rules at THR and SAS so that LM teams could run either track. Or modifying the existing rules so that SAS Sportsman, CC Super Streets and THR Hobby Stocks could do the same. Or making it so that entry level class teams could run at each other's tracks.

That being said, nobody in their right mind is anticipating making changes without thinking long and hard about how each change will impact race teams at each track. It's going to take a lot of work to get this job done and there will be some painful decisions that will have to be made along the way. But in the end it will be worth it if area race teams are able to run at all three TTOPA race tracks with the same car. That's one of the goals of TTOPOA anyway.

In the meantime, I know that management from all three TTOPA tracks read TSZ regularly. So if you, or anyone else with a positive attitude, have constructive suggestions or ideas to share with us as this process moves forward, feel free to do so.

Nick Holt

Nick,

I agree that you guys have your hands full, but maybe for the 2004 season you should just decide between the 3 tracks what type of penalties could be given to a visiting team so they can compete with out a lot of changes. For example I know that the CC super streets are the only ones who can run posi or locked rearends. Compared to the THR street stock and SAS sportsman. So there should be a weight penalty or weight break that can make up for that. It might be the only way to do it for this season, If you even want to do anything for this season.

Archived