A new era in Texas stock car racing dawns

NickHolt

A new era in the history of Texas stock car racing got off to a good start Tuesday evening, December 30, 2003, as representatives of three major Texas asphalt tracks met to form the Texas Track Owners and Promoters Association (TTOPA).

Brain Callaway, representing Thunder Hill Raceway, Owen Pittman representing Corpus Christi Speedway and Mike Sepich, representing San Antonio Speedway, along with THR Competition Director Nick Holt and SAS Competition Director Paul Lozano, met at a San Antonio restaurant and agreed to work together through TTOPA to improve short track racing in Texas.

It was agreed that TTOPA’s long-term goals include:

* Promoting closer working relationships among member tracks.

* Working towards formulating similar rules for similar classes and establishing reciprocal rules agreements among member tracks.

* Working towards a set of common race procedures.

* Coordinating track schedules and touring series schedules.

* Purchasing certain consumables through TTOPA.

* Working together to resolve issues that impact asphalt racing in general and member tracks in particular.

Several other areas of possible cooperation were discussed at the meeting as well.

Near the end of the two-hour meeting it was unanimously agreed that NIck Holt would write a set of proposed TTOPA by-laws that would be voted on by the charter members at the next TTOPA meeting in Corpus Christi before the start of the 2004 racing season.

"I’m all for our tracks working together for the good of racing in Texas," said Sepich. "It can only help all the tracks in the long run. This is something that is long overdue."

Callaway agreed with Sepich and added, "If a team wants to build a race car for one of our tracks, they will be able to run it at any one of them as we develop a set of common rules. And if a team decides to move up a class, they will be able to sell their old car to people from other member tracks, not just their own track. I think people will be more willing to build a car knowing that."

Pittman, who recently took over the General Manager’s position at CC Speedway, was just as enthusiastic. "I think TTOPA can really made a big difference for everyone. Working together and cooperating with each other instead of competing with each other only makes sense. Everyone wins this way - the racers, the tracks, the fans and the sponsors. It may take a while for TTOPA to achieve all its goals, but at least we’re headed in the right direction."

Before the meeting broke up, Holt, Lozano and Pittman were already making plans to compare rules and operating procedures at the three tracks. "We’ve got our work cut out for us, but it’ll be worth it if we can pull this thing off." Holt said.

My hats off to all the tracks/reps. for at least giving this idea a shot instead of staying with the status quo. True enough this probably won't happen over night, but it bodes well for the future of pavement racing in Texas.

Nick, make sure to drop a copy of this in my e-mail box, so I can get it send/posted around for you.

Congrats to all involved...It is a good first step in the both the short-term and long-term success of local racing in Texas... :D

p.s.--shouldn't this be in the press release section? LOL :lol::lol:

This is the type of cooperation that will benefit all 3 tracks and everyone involved with the tracks. This is also what we need to get this state excited about asphalt racing. I'm sure TTOPA will have the support of most owners, drivers, fans and sponsors. Good job to all involved and good luck. GET R DONE

What great news to start 2004. I thought the after effects of New Years eve were playing tricks with my eyes when I first read this. After reading it a second time it is starting to sink in. Next you will be seeing cats and dogs sleeping together or Chevy and Ford making CHORDS. I hope this gathering of minds can work together and make racing in Texas bigger and beter than ever. Best of luck to all involved. Any reason that the Houston track was not represented?

Excellent initiative among the track operators.

One stated objective is:

"Working towards formulating similar rules for similar classes and establishing reciprocal rules agreements among member tracks."

Hopefully, THR will figure the appropriate formula to allow an SAS Nascar Late Model Stock (105 WB; fab front clip; coilovers) to run with the THR Limited Late Models.

This announcement is great news. It can only help stock car racing in Central Texas.

What a task you gents have ahead of you! It will be a challenging task to meld some of these rules packages together.

Just between the THR street stocks and the SAS sportsman cars, look at some of these differences:

Motor: Intake, heads, camshaft, exhaust, carburetor

Chassis: Weight percentages, lowering blocks, split spring rates

It will definately be interesting to see this develop in the future.

BTW, please don't make us change too much too fast! :D

cs

Lugs, I don't see this as meaning every track will run the same tire. Think of this though, what if you wanted another car? Right now you probably have to build your own or just buy one from someone in Corpus. What if you could buy one from one of the SA or THR guys then just put street tires on it. Right now none of the cars are the same. What these guys are trying to do should have been done 10 years ago.

loose lugs

I'm not sure that there really is that many people racing Corpus that have great of tire sponsors anymore. There was a time where some of the guys were getting all there tires free. I don't think that is the case anymore. I believe that most of us are paying almost the same as race tires. Plus I'd pay the extra for tires to handle a little better and go a little faster. Just my opinion. I hope TTOPA works for the good of all.

:) How about the tracks working together to have a big once a month show,say a 3-day race weekend? Run one track Friday,one Saturday and one Sunday afternoon,and alternate the days each track would run each time so the same track would not be stuck with Sunday each time,maybe also establish a point fund for each weekend or increased purse for that weekend. If they do work together it could be great for you asphalt fans and racers and have more to offer sponsors too.

Tire Sponsors are very valuable to the CC drivers with the way the rules have been .Some drivers get free tires some get good discounts on them either way racing tires cost more . The way the rules are is what keeps the classes cost effective and growing . Both of these things are what racing should be about .Besides the fun. The rules from all tracks have been so far apart for so long that it is going to take so good hard work on everyones part to make things work. I guess the real question is who or what track is going to give up the most?I hope it works I would like to be able to race other tracks again with fewer changes to my car .

Mad Racing , I think that is the key to making asphalt racing better in Texas. To be able to go race somewhere else and actually have a car that has a chance of being competitive at that track will make racers want to try other track every once in a while.

this is what i see coming is one big race that is at the end of the year that has a race that gives the winner braging right that he beat the best drivers in centeral texas . they have a race like this in washington that brings drivers from all over that state.

Bradley,

Houston Motorsports Park was not initially asked to be part of the TTOPA "charter group." HMP may be asked to get involved eventually, but their program is very different from the programs run at SAS, THR and CC. For instance, HMP doesn't pay a purse; they run mostly the "little" cars and specialty cars; their Late Models are pretty much ROMCO chassis cars with crate motors that are not at all similar to the SAS and THR Late Models; they don't attempt to run weekly classes for the other two classes that are similar at the other three tracks. At this point we felt it was going to be hard enough to get the rules, reciprocal agreements, etc, for the three "similar" tracks worked out without trying to incorporate HMP into the mix.

And we didn't invite the Wichita Falls track because they rarely interact with the Central / South Texas tracks.

Eventually, and I mean way down the road, there is nothing to prevent touring series, dirt tracks, drag strips or whatever from becoming part of the organization, but at this point, we have our hands full just trying to get the three charter tracks on the same page. Once we have all three charter tracks working as a team the time might be right to look at expanding the Association.

Nick Holt

:) Nick,I hope this works for everyone,it could be like the NTRA that was around the North Texas area in the eighties and early 90s.TxTom might remember,the winged modifieds could run from the Red river down to Houston and the only difference was you might or might not run wings,it could be beneficial for the tracks on insurance as a group on the rates,if agreed upon the cost of tires could be lowered. Like I said maybe even a Sunday series could work with enough cars.

Archived