Super Stocks at the Texas Race of Champions 1987

Chillaxing

I would like to share a few photos from the 1987 Texas Race of Champions. Here a brief story of these photos. I had been around racing for only a few years and I never even heard of the Texas Race of Champions. So when I got a chance to go to the race with my buddies I tagged along. At that time I really like to take pitchers so I was sure to take my camera. So with out knowing of any of the history of the race, or the Texas racers, I was just tuned in on taking photos of my friends. I wish I had known that 21 years later that a lot of good photos of all the top racers from all over the state would be so much fun to have and to share. So I am sorry to say that I have no photos of the Late Models, but for the fans of Wayne Norrell, Bruce Beddoe, Billy Christopher, and Chuck Barber, here are a few good memories.

post-8023-1212774408_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212774440_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212774460_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212774487_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212774513_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212774541_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212774580_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212774606_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212774763_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212774823_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212774885_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212774938_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212775043_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212775133_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1212775191_thumb.jpg

cool pics ,,,,,superstocks sure haven't evolved alot in 21 years.

the drivers meeting pic,,,,,,,look at the young erwin breiten yawning in the back. (thanX for the pink shirt)

In the drivers' meeting pic, that has to be Ray Becka standing behind a young-looking Wayne Norrell who is standing beside Chuck Barber (I think that's Chuck). Shawn Paul is correct. That's Ervin yawning.

Nick

• 1 month later...

Waco Racer: From the photos, I'd estimate that the particular Super Stock race you asked about was being conducted on the Texas World Speedway 2.0 mile inner road racing course.

Here is an interesting piece of history regarding this class. It took me about three years to convince Texas World Speedway President, the late Dick Conole, that the Super Stocks were sufficiently safe enough to be included as a TWS class in the annual Texas Race of Champions events.

To prove the soundness of my recommendation, I invited Dick to attend a race at Longhorn Speedway in Austin. With Bob Castleberry's help as the Super Stock class Chief Inspector ... as they say, "the rest is history".

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway

Yea, I remember Ray Scott helping with the TWS Super Stock tech. He told me that my race car wasn't "road-worthy". Didn't like the application of bailing wire to support some of the body panels. Made me buy some new shoulder harness belts...... but I won the pole and the race! Ray just shook his head and smiled.

Waco Racer: You asked "Did you ever run the 3.0 Road Course"?

The TROC at TWS raced on the 2.0 outer road course at most races, a little on the 2.0 inner road course and a little on the 1.5 inner oval.

I didn't hold any races on the 3.0 road course or the 2.0 mile oval.

Reasons:

3.0 road course was out of grandstand spectators field of view for 1/3 of each lap and would have increased officiating difficulty and race control.

2.0 mile oval was not safe for these type cars.

You also wrote, "I wish that I had known about this track and what was going on there in the '80's and '90's. I would have been at every event!"

Clifton: I wish you had been there also. We always needed qualified gentlemen like you to help officiate.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions at Texas World Speedway

Neil, thanks for the kind words. I was still in High School in the '80's! Not that I wouldn't have helped, I was just a little rough around the edges. :D

It was great having the TSRS at our race a couple of years ago. I would love to help organize a TSRS, TPS, Truck, and Super Stock race at TWS. I think these cars would be great on the inner 2.0, however, the outer portion is fun too. I wonder what it would take to run the 1.5 inner oval, besides money. I may make some calls.

i use to work with ray scott. j.c. umscheid was racing legends and was my responsibility on school breaks as well as his brother michael.......ray said "that boy is too damn hard on equipment"......nah,,,,,1st place pays better than 2nd so you can buy a new front bumper. that's the best.

man i'm getting old.

j/k pork chop- keep doing what ya do.

In the drivers' meeting pic, that has to be Ray Becka standing behind a young-looking Wayne Norrell

Nick

Mr Ray hasn't done much with his hair in 21 years. :lol: Wish I could say the same. :(

Archived