Question about THR

Actually, THR has several different banking angles but they are all within the 8 - 10 degree range except for the straights and transitions which are banked less.

Way back when I was the Comp Director, I was trying to determine what angle would be ideal for a new "second groove in turn 1-2 so I took an inclinometer out there one afternoon and did some checking.

I had this hair-brained idea that we could leave the bottom groove alone and repave the top groove at a bigger angle to promote less single file racing. When I did some preliminary checking around, I found that the cost would likely be far greater than I believed the owner would be willing to pay. I let the idea drop without even bringing it up for discussion...

Nick

very little and too short :D

Charlie, don't blame the track for you having to learn to drive a little differently or a little better. ;)

There used to be a diagram of the track on the THR site, but I can't find it now. It showed the straights to be banked 6 degrees and the corners to be banked 9 to 12 degrees with the majority of it in the 9 degree range.

I'm looking to see if anyone knows what the banking is at THR. Also, how long are the front/back straights?

Thanks,

Mark

kiss i made some laps saterday in the 28 ..that track is something ..looks flat from inside the car ..darn hard to learn ..

There used to be a diagram of the track on the THR site, but I can't find it now. It showed the straights to be banked 6 degrees and the corners to be banked 9 to 12 degrees with the majority of it in the 9 degree range.

I saw that same diagram at the track office a few years ago, but my eyeballs told me it's probably wasn't a 12 bank. So I got the old inclinometer out and did some checking. There is a spot 2/3's of the way through 1-2 that was 10 degrees and one spot midway through 3-4 that was also 10 degrees. The rest was in the 8-9 degree range until the transitions.

Remember that the banks were built on material that was not there originally and probably has settled or moved some since it was built, just like highways everywhere.

I would love to see a second groove transitioned to 12 or 13 degrees through 1-2 and the backstraight with five more feet of pavement at the top... 3-4 is equally hard for everyone but at least there are a couple of places to run in that turn.

Nick

oldtimer... you may need to check the mounting of your seat..

If your seat i mounted level, then you will "feel" the banking...

If you have about a 9 degree mounting in the wrong direction.. it would be flat...

Sorry couldn't resist.. :P

breaking news i just figured out my head was tilting wrong .... abrungot .you can take your shot at me anytime ..

Archived