An open letter to all on TSZ

ChuckLicata

To all on TSZ:

As we get ready to wind down 2003, I hope you and yours had a wonderful, safe and warm Holiday Season. I would like to make a simple statement and plea (and I promise to keep it as short as possible).

Looking back on “the year that was,” I think auto racing – both nationally and in Texas - took a giant step forward in 2003. Nationally, the biggest move was probably Nextel’s new sponsorship of NASCAR for the next 10 years (at a cool $700 million dollars).

On the Texas front, there were several worthwhile (and newsworthy) events and accomplishments…among them, HMP hosted an ASA race; Texasspeedzone.com grew stronger after being launched in 2002 and bringing together local race fans, drivers, crew and track owners; the Texas Super Race Series enjoyed a successful (and controversial) first season; The Motorsports Zone hit the airwaves and (on those occasions when the audio streaming was working) the internet; and, there were other good moments and memories that hit the local scene.

As we all get ready for the New Year, I’d like to suggest we ALL try to make 2004 another year of big advancements in local racing – but we need to do it TOGETHER! I realize everyone has a driver, track, series, media person, web site moderator, racing organization, etc., he/she may not particularly care for. However…we all boast that the racing family is a FAMILY – a close-knit group that supports each other and comes together in a time of crisis. While I don’t think we’re quite at the “crisis” stage, I believe we need to work to “mend some fences” in our corner of the racing world, then “take on” the true elements that are hindering our sport from experiencing growth – getting much-needed recognition by the local (and national) media, the empty grandstands at race tracks, the lack of (and need for) funding in all drivers’ points funds…you get the idea.

For my part, I will be getting in touch with those track owners, officials and other local and state personnel who are involved with racing in Texas to try and form a working relationship as well as “mend some fences.” I am not doing this to make a name for myself nor to improve my company’s status; rather, I hope to start a movement within the Texas racing community that will improve the racing landscape – for everyone involved in Texas racing.

I hope I kept this short enough. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Sincerely, Chuck Licata

I realize everyone has a.......... driver..........he/she may not particularly care for.

WELL.....I never...! :o LOL :lol::D

(I couldn't resist! but are with you 150%!)

Rick

Archived