Interesting Stats

Budman

A.J. was probably one of the best racers of all time. How about that Mel Kenyon, I thought I saw him racing a midget a couple of years ago.

Mel Kenyon is "King of the midgets." And Talk about a sweet heart of a guy. And with the use of fingers on only one hand, this man won 7 USAC Championships (won his last one in '85, and he was 52 years old), Finish 4 times in the top 5 at the 500. God knows how many feature wins in a midget, over 700 for USAC, and if you throw in the rest it's got to be over a grand. Hell he one the Speedrome Championship @ 63 years old. Talk about an ironman.

I must be getting old. As a race fan, I recognized/remembered every driver's name from '56, and all but four from '56 thru '59. And, thanks to Meyer Spdwy/Houston, The Astrodome/Houston, Moody-Clarey Spdwy/Navasota, and Texas World Spdwy/College Station, I had the opportunity to see a great many of the entire list of drivers race in Texas. Thanks Buddy! Unfortunately, a lot of new and "told to be" auto racing fans just don't know what they missed in the 20th century. That doesn't mean today's racers are less skilled, quite the contrary. Today's skill levels are as high, and maybe higher in some cases. But, different cars, characters, times, and circumstances.

What would really be interesting is to see the lists for AAA. They were USAC's predecessor. I haven't be able to find anything on the web though. Has anybody else had any luck in finding any of that information on the web?

I found a little info under "AMERICAN AUTOMOBILE ASSOCIATION AUTO RACING". Mixed in with other AAA sites, but I did see where the AAA Contest Board dropped auto race sanctioning after several fatal accidents during '55. I stumbled upon some other interesting sites also. Something about race drivers, owners, tracks, loans, unions, Teamsters, sanctioning...

Archived