BURN ..

HiTech

LOOKED AT SOME PISTONS FROM A MOTOR TODAY ...... NUMBER ONE PISTON HAD CARBON 90 PERCENT .... NUMBER TWO HAD CARBON 70 PERCENT .. NUMBER THREE HAD 30 PERCENT .. NUMBER FOUR HAD 60 PERCENT BURN FROM CENTER OUT ..ANY IDEALS ..I HAVE A BUNCH ..SEE IF SOMEONE COMES CLOSE TO MINE ..THIS IS A FOUR BANGER .

Plugs were gapped the same?

Does it have an MSD Box(6AL or ????) If so low battery or bad capacitors in box.

Plug wire.

Totally different story, I had a jetski with total loss ignition, I accidently let the battery get low. Instead of firing on each cyl(2) it would fire on one only at double the voltage. Needless to say it was blowing holes in the pistons.

YES I HAVE A 6AL .. AND ITS ABOULT 5 YEARS OLD ..I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH START UP .THIS YEAR ..I HAVE THOUGHT ABOULT THAT .BUT I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOULT THAT BOX ..AT START UP LATELY IT HAS DROPED CYLINDERS UNTIL YOU FORCED IT TO RUN A FEW SECONDS THEN IT WOULD FINALY CATCH AND GO .WE THOUGHT IT WAS THE CARB BUT I HAVE REBUILT IT AND FOUND NOTHING . THE CAR DIDNT RACE BUT TWO RACES LAST YEAR AND THIS PROBLEM STARTED ABOULT XMAS ONE NIGHT . JUST OUT OF THE BLUE ..THE PLUGS ARE NEW AND GAPPED EVEN ...WE HAVE HAD SO MUCH PROBLEM GETTING THIS CAR HANDLEING AFTER WE WRECKED IT .WE HAVENT LOOKED FOR THIS PROBLEM ...AND NOW THE CAR IS ALMOST BACK UP TO PAR .AND JESSIE COMPLAINED THE MOTOR WONT GO .AND IT SHOWED LAST WEEKEND AT KYLE .EVENTHOW WE RAN UP FRONT . THE POWER WAS FLAT ... ... I TOOK THE MOTOR APART NOTHING WAS WRONG INSIDE ....ALL I FOUND WAS THIS PROBLEM UNEVEN BURN OR LACK OF ..AND I KNOW THAT ISNT RIGHT NUMBER THREE IS THE 30 PERCENT .SO THAT CYLINDER ISNT DOING MUCH RACEN LOL ...WHO CAN TEST THIS BOX AND CAN WE REPLACE PARTS OUR SELF .....THANKS KISS .I REALLY BELIEVE YOU MAY HAVE HIT THE JACK POT ..ONE OTHER QUESTION .COULD THIS BOX MAKE IT BACK FIRE AT COLD START . LIKE IT WAS EITHER LEAN OR TIMED TO HIGH .I KNOW TIMED TO HIGH CANT BE IT .CHECK ALL THAT AND THEN SOME ....

OT,

Call MSD (915)8557123 ask for tech support. Tell them you have a 6AL and you believe it is in need of repair. Tell them a racing buddy of yours dealt with Phillip and you know he is no longer there. Ask them if they will look at it for you?

On mine they fixed it for free. Had several burned diodes and capacitors.

Also, have you made sure that the 4/6/8 switch is in the 4 position?

And yes, I had a buddy that had your very same issue at SAR in a Mustang. He by=passed the 6AL and it ran better than with box connected. He sent his off and sure enough it had some bad parts in it.

Mark

id like to know how he bypassed it ..they say we have to have it .this dist has two wires .and i havent had the will power to try it with out the box ....i called the msd teck number and this guy wasnt very helpfull other than it may have been my battery . but this system is suppose to work on low votage and amps as i read into it .... we did have a problem with the battery last weekend ..car would not start after a race ..even when we tried to push start it ..so maybe it is the battery ..but it isnt the problem with the start up deal ..that has happend all year ..i have a 8400 chip in it ...and why is it i am not getting a good burn ..ill check the wires soon .and see what they read out ..but i will call this number andtalk to them if it isnt the same person .. as for the 4.6.8 ill look at it ..maybe it moved or got hit .dont know if that is posible .where i have it mounted ..but it wont hurt to look .thank you sir ..

OT,

He went straight from coil to distributor. I need to reread my 6AL manual. I'd swear it says that low voltage will cause intermittent operation of box(6AL). I even think they have a minimum voltage operating range. I put a volt gauge in race truck because of this.

Also, I dont think the switch will move if you have the screw in it. But maybe it never was set?

Oh, dont forget to mention that Phillip work with Us in the past, I know finding someone to work with you isnt always easy. Maybe ask for some stickers to put on the new paint job or something like that. Makes them think your pushing there products... :D

Mark

OT, the pickup will not work the coil by itself, you need an amplifier. Try the original Ford TFI from a 80's vintage 2.3. It will work just as well as the MSD for the 4 cylinder cars. Look in the 4M archives for how to hook it up..

OT, the pickup will not work the coil by itself, you need an amplifier. Try the original Ford TFI from a 80's vintage 2.3. It will work just as well as the MSD for the 4 cylinder cars. Look in the 4M archives for how to hook it up..

yep i looked ..lots of pages to read through ..could not find it .but hey im computor dumb ///i sort of remember how to hook it up on a stock distributor ..i suppose that will be the same way ..been a few years running this box . kinda forget things you know ..

btw do you remember what phase that module was ..4.5.or 6

wouldnt a lack of octane in your fuel also cause a similar problem?

dont have any problems with octane lol ..if so im looking up for falling airplanes ....oh no that will not be good .. ... our intake is from esslinger . our head is an arca ... the two pieces match so well you dont need a intake gasket .just alittle dab of red and she is good ..same for the 500 dallor header the only one that will fit this head ....no gasket ...we have come to the conclusion it was the battery ..not going 100 percnt with that so ill have a back up system ..thanks guys for the ideals ..

OT,

sweet!!!! i was at the shop yesterday and completely forgot to pull manual for 6AL. I know there is a minimum voltage i think like 11.8 or 12.3? My other thought was the alternator? If the battery is low unless it has a dead cell should only effect starting. I wasn't thinking Alternator only because we sometimes don't run one and power MSD and racecar off just the battery. For giggles try pulling the Alt. off and take it into work and test it...

Mark

OT,

sweet!!!! i was at the shop yesterday and completely forgot to pull manual for 6AL. I know there is a minimum voltage i think like 11.8 or 12.3? My other thought was the alternator? If the battery is low unless it has a dead cell should only effect starting. I wasn't thinking Alternator only because we sometimes don't run one and power MSD and racecar off just the battery. For giggles try pulling the Alt. off and take it into work and test it...

Mark

no alternator ..battery runs everything ..we dont run dash lights .but we do have a electric fuel pump which only has 4 raeces on it .. ..so i need to add a volt gage . we always have them on charger ..but that can hurt as much as help ..the battery we used in this last race was used battery that checked out good at work ..well it was not holding up .so we have a brand new one ..and that doesnt mean much either new ones go bad aswell ...i think we are going to replace all the wires .the coil and the 6al ..they are old ..just to be sure as with some other parts that were old . i wont go into those ..lol ..dont want those other drivers to know ..lol ..... i thought back to 1985 when we had another car that had a bad miss at 7500 rpm ..did every darn thing in the world to find it ..gave up .and mid season took the battery out which was new and used it to start another truck ..well it did ..so we went out and replaced that one with another new one and walla the miss was gone .. ..we will let you know after the next race .how she ran ..thank you very much for all your input ..you made me think harder ....i quess my skills and your brain .may have fixed it ..lolololo

...i think we are going to replace all the wires .the coil and the 6al ..they are old ..just to be sure as with some other parts that were old . i wont go into those ..lol ..dont want those other drivers to know ..lol .....

I think everyone knows about duct tape by now, OT.

Nick

...i think we are going to replace all the wires .the coil and the 6al ..they are old ..just to be sure as with some other parts that were old . i wont go into those ..lol ..dont want those other drivers to know ..lol .....

I think everyone knows about duct tape by now, OT.

Nick

Nick, I think he is referring to the chief mechanic... :o

is that what they used to glue your arm back together .... .where the heck have you been ..come on up to kyle or hook up with us along the way ...do i need to come up and get on susan ..on second thought .i best not ..safer that way .....

Still got to put the car back together, but got a light duty release. If i can get it back together I'll be in kyle on the 31st. Even Susan knows I'm planning on it.

WELL MY FRIEND GET . ER DONE .....ID ALMOST BET YOU HAVE TALKED SUSAN INTO HELPING YOU ...NAH THAT WOULD BE A PIPE DREAM ..

Archived