Playland Park

txdon

Hey Guys.

I just stumbled on to this site and been reading and enjoying a lot of old thoughts. I was rasied here in Houston and remember my dad telling stories of him racing at Playland Park in 1950/1951. My father, Francis Phillips and his brother Cliff Phillips ran #66 and #65 midgets here. I also remember him talking about some of the drivers that shoed his cars. Cowboy, Doc Kossie, Lee Musick are some that come to mind. If any of yall remember him, it would be great to hear from you.

Don Phillips

Don,

I'm not quite old enough and grew up in the wrong city to know a whole lot about Playland, but look around in this section. You might find what you're looking for. There are quite a few threads with info on playland.

Welcome to TXSZ. We hope you enjoy the material. Come back often. :)

Don,

If you check the WHERE ARE THEY NOW?/Quarter Midget Racers From The '50s/'60s, you can see pictures of Doc Cossey doing flagman duties at some of those events. Also, under TEXAS RACING HISTORY/Midgets In Texas, you may find some interesting posts. I attended a few Houston Auto Racing events in the early '50s, but was about age 3 or 4 in '50/'51, and don't really have much in the way of specific memories from those days. But, you never know what you may find posted, or what the next post will be. Myself, I have picked up a ton of information regarding Texas Auto Racing History. A lot of great reading and pictures.

Archived