Flat tires

rs 22

I'm sure your post is aimed at the late model guys, but I'll just say that I understand why you guys don't like the F53 tires. The first year we ran at THR, we ran those tires. After the complaints about the numerous flats, the track changed to the 1070 (now 970). When the late models had to switch back to the F53, I felt sorry for you guys. I remember James Reeder loosing multiple tires last year when the tire just rolled off of the rim. Not sure if this was related to the tire or rim, but I remember him saying that he tried different rims. Good luck with this.

cs

i personally think the f53 is a better tire. we ran tsrs with them, and only had flats when we ran over a cotter pin or something like that. actually didnt even have a flat at thr, the flats came from houston which could of been avoided by sweeping the entrance to the track.

big john

ss99,

Those Hoosier F53s are run at tracks all over without any more problems than any other racing tire encounters. If you run over a something sharp it's going to cut the tire whether it's a 970 or an F53. As far as the F53 falling off rims, that sounds much more like a wheel problem or tire pressure problem than a tire problem. I have run just about every type of racing tire available since the 1970's including the old Firestone gumballs, Goodyears, McCrearys (now American Racer), Hoosiers and Towel City retreads. They all have about the same sort of problems - except the Towel City retreads which were pretty much junk. From my experience, the Hoosiers and the Goodyears were the most trouble free but the Hoosiers were more repeatable and wore better than the Goodyears.

That being said, I plan to sit down with Brian and Jack to discuss this issue in greater detail. I would like to look at the results of Jack's survey on drivers' tire preferences and get some input from drivers who actually prefer the F53s over the 970s.

For what it's worth, we basically made the preliminary decision to go with the F53s because that's what TSRS is planning to run. We wanted to make it easier for the THR LMs and TSRS cars to run both venues if they wanted to. But if there are serious problems with the F53s, I'll give it a second look.

Nick Holt

We've got considerable experience with the 970/1070 and the F53 and I'd say the F53 is a far superior tire. We only had one flat all year, also at Houston. The real difference between the two is the "fast window" is much broader with the F53 than the treaded tire. Properly scuffed, the F53 is faster for more laps than the 970 which saves money. 10" tires with appropriate stock stub track width considerations would be cool though. jp

I know, how about letting TSRS and THR Late Models run either tire. Then the people who like 970's can run 970's, and the people who like the F53's can run the F53's. That would solve the problem. In my opinion I would think that you would want more tire on the track. Like a slick, but then again, I just race Hobby stocks so what would I know. :D

I've used them both on street stock cars and the F53 works great unless you miss your set-up. I used the same left front tire @ SAS this season (which me means My team needs $$$$) and did not blister it until OcktoberFast, that includes 2 high speed crashes !!! In '98 @ THR we lost 3 F53's in the early laps running over trash on the track.. the compound is softer but you get those slicks to stick and tou are hooked up.

But... in 2000 we ran 2 left side 970's with tibes @ SAS in the OcktoberFast race and the car stuck like a magnet !!!

Hell, I have towel-city tires stashed that worked well @ speed-o-rama.

Who knows, maybe it all depends on your set-up ??

We ran both 970 and f-53 and found that the 970s lasts about 1/2 as long as the f-53.

The 970 also has alot thinner sidewall.The first year we ran f-53s in SS we had 1 flat all

year.The next year we ran the 970s and had 8 flats while running,now that we run the

f-53s again the only time we have had a tire go down is when its cut down.The last race

we ran in Houston with TSRS we had almost 500 laps on the f-53s,and they went away quick.The 970s would be used up after one TSRS race.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I remember about the 970 is that it would loose grip before it would wear out. It seamed to be a hard compound & would get too hard after a few heat cycles.

The F53 if Scrubbed properly will keep its grip for quite a while longer that the 970 did.

Bryan" Victory" Lane

Archived