8. 15 William Cavender

9. 7x Dennis Hilla

10. 25jr Chance Skains

11. 8g2 Paige Gantz

Pure Stock heat winners, 555 Sonny Jones, 96 Justin Henley

I-37 Raceway, 5/2/08

By J M Hallas

Pleasanton, Tx., (May 2nd, 2008)

Action resumed on Pleasanton's I-37 Raceway after taking a scheduled week off. Several new drivers made their inaugural visit to the semi-banked 1/4 dirt track, south of San Antonio. Missing were some of the regular faces, including past winners looking to score repeat wins.

The track was smooth and tacky throughout the entire night making for fast paced, high speed action.

Dinsmore Finally Does it

After several second place finishes or suffering mechanical woes while running up front, Greg Dinsmore finally found his way to I-37 Raceway winner's circle. Dinsmore, who started second row inside, got past early leader Randy Yount and pulled away from the field in the caution-free 20 lapper.

The start of the IMCA Modified main saw Yount grab the lead from the pole, with Dinsmore moving second, and Jason Borlace third. Dinsmore was quick to challenge Yount getting along side on lap 2 down the back stretch and by in turn 3. Borlace, Brian Rye and Chris Swenson all chased Yount running nose to tail for third.

On lap 8, Borlace was putting pressure on Yount, while Swenson got around Rye for fourth. At he crossed flags it was Dinsmore by a full straightaway over Yount, Borlace, Swenson, and Rye. During lap 10, Borlace and Swenson both slipped by Yount, leaving him side by side with Rye for fifth. Rye was finally able to wrestle the spot away on lap 15.

Up front Dinsmore was stretching out his advantage to half track as he approached the back of he field. Swenson was turning up the heat on Borlace for second, while Yount got fourth back from Rye who slid too high. As the white flag waved, Dinsmore was easily cruising along in the Team Brain Freeze, Azul Margaritas, Sundowner RV Repair, Big Worm Motorsports, Pro Tech, Tailor Made Cabinets, Jeff's Performance Racing Engines, Harris Chassis. Swenson made a last lap pass to snatch second away from Borlace.

“It took a little effort,” commented Dinsmore. “The car is finally coming around and working well for us. The track was awesome tonight. They've been working the track really well. It was real racey top to bottom. It had a couple slick spots where you had to work your car.”

“After the luck I've had lately, you start to think, something's got to give, something's got to break. You're always thinking in the back of your mind, what bolt did you miss, what's going to break next. But the track was really nice tonight

and he competition is good. Hopefully we'll pull some more cars out here.”

“I really didn't know I had such a big lead. I thought I could feel the motor noises out there. I put mufflers on the car to try to hear more of what was going on around me. When I got in lapped traffic, I figured I was running pretty good and started pedaling the car. I didn't want to overdrive it, or maybe take out some lapped cars.”

“My wife(Candace) said I was doomed to follow, hopefully tonight I broke that!”

IMCA Modifieds

1. 8g Greg Dinsmore

2. 48 Chris Swenson

3. 125 Jason Borlace

4. 66 Randy Yount

5. 25 Brian Rye

6. 137 Bill Pittaway

7. 26 Darin Leonard

8. 2 Marlon Sanford

IMCA Modified heat winners, 8g Greg Dinsmore, 137 Bill Pittaway

Torres Takes Top Honors After Tech

Johnny Torres wasn't first to finish line, but ended up taking home the hardware after winner Adan Perks failed to pass tech inspection. Torres worked his way through the field and took over second in the finals laps and was awarded the victory when Perks car was found with illegal(non-stamped) tires.

Rene Mares and Chris McLendon led the field to the initial green with McLendon getting the advantage. R. Mares got tagged in a three wide battle for and spun in turn 2. On the second start in was nearly three wide for lead going into turn 1, with McLendon again coming out with the top spot.

In the pack, Mark McGahey got forced high coming out of turn 4 where he smacked the tire barrier and rolled over. McGahey climbed out uninjured. Once back to green, Allen Torres and R. Mares ran side by for third, while Chris Rye looked for an opening. Perks, using the high side, was on the charge getting by Rye for fifth on lap 5, then A. Torres for fourth a lap later.

At the head of the pack, Bill Pittaway was looking for a way around McLendon for the lead. Pittaway got the spot on lap 8, leaving McLendon battling with Abraham Mares for second. That duo made contact, sending A. Mares into and over an infield tire, moving Perks up second. At halfway it Pittaway, Perks, A. Torres, J. Torres and Rye in the top five.

Perks continued sailing around the top getting past Pittaway for the lead on lap 11. Once out front, Perks began to distance himself from the field, while A. Torres pulled off. This left brother, Johnny, battling with Pittaway for second. As Perks was running off to the win, J. Torres took second away from Pittaway in the final laps. When the checkers waved it was Perks, the apparent winner, J. Torres second and Rye sneaking past Pittaway. After tech inspection J. Torres in the 24/7 Towing, Pro Image Signs & Graphics, Cen-Tex Motorsports powered, Moser Chassis walking away with the win.

“I got a few breaks working my way up,” replied Torres. “The track was heavy and a lot of cars were pushing real bad. Mine seemed to be working pretty good on the bottom. I just stayed on the bottom, got lucky and watched them push.”

“I don't like a tacky track too much. It was definitely a lot smoother tonight. It was a good racey surface, just not my preference. It was a nice, safe track.”

“He(Perks) was a lot faster. I hoped he'd get caught up in traffic but he didn't. Luckily he got caught up in tech.”

IMCA Southern Sportmods

1. 66 Johnny Torres

2. 137 Bill Pittaway

3. 4$ Chris Rye

4. 89 Doug Livingston

5. 11 Chris McLendon

6.11F Mike Finkel

7. 4 Abraham Mares

8. 94 Allen Torres

9. 751 Mark McGahey

12 Adan Perks---DQ(Tires)

22 Rene Mares---DQ(Tires)

5 Jordan Lueck---DNS(motor)

IMCA SSM heat winners, 22 Rene Mares, 12 Adan Perks

Howie Marcx charged into the lead of the Super Stock feature from the second row, with Richard Bartosh second, Moe VanKirk third and Robert Williams fourth. Gary Hunter took fifth from Chico Cox on the first lap. Bartosh suffered a flat on lap 4 moving VanKirk to second, who began closing on Marcx. The races only yellow waved on lap 8 when Williams car had the hood fly off.

Marcx got a huge jump on the restart, with Harlin Covert getting by Hunter for fourth. VanKirk cut Marcx' lead in half, then down to a couple car lengths. On the final lap VanKirk was on the bumper of Marcx looking for a final lap pass. Coming out of turn 2, Marcx car slowed, with VanKirk shooting by for the lead and the win. Marcx car rolled to a stop in turns 3-4, giving up more positions in the final run down.

Super Stock

1. 58 Moe VanKirk

2. 48 Robert Williams

3. 60 Harlin Covert

4. 14 Gary Hunter

5. 27 Eric Knudtson

6. 21 Chico Cox

7. 13 Howie Marcx

8. 7 Richard Bartosh

9. 25 Wesley Skains

33a Walt Clark---DNS

Super Stock heat winners, 14 Gary Hunter, 13 Howie Marcx

The front row of Shawn Moore and Alton Fambro stayed door to door through turns 1-2, while Wade Jones charged through the middle of the pack. Moore got the point on lap 1, but Tommy Casey took it away on lap 2 going down the back stretch. Moore and Jone then traded some paint as they fought for second, with Jones getting the spot on lap 4.

At halfway, Casey had a a straightaway lead over Jones, Donald Lewis, Moore and Craig Crawley. Casey spun himself from the lead on lap 11, handing it to Jones. Caution for debris on lap 13 rebunched the field, but Jones got away clean on the restart. Crawley caught Lewis for second and began to challenge, taking the spot on lap 17. Up front it was Jones snagging another win for he season.

Street Stock

1. 41 Wade Jones

2. 6 Craig Crawley

3. 51 Donald Lewis

4. 18 Shawn Moore

5. 08 Alton Fambro

6. 37 A J Wernette

7. 42 Tommy Casey

8. 3x Larry Hilla

9. 14 Mark Pivarnik

29p Daniel Pierce---DNS

Street Stock heat winners, 42 Tommy Casey, 41 Wade Jones

Justin Henley wasted little time coming from the second row to the head of the Pure Stock feature on lap 1. Sonny Jones and Dennis Hilla fell into second and third. By lap 5, Henley had pulled away from Jones and D. Hilla, while a seven-car wolf pack scrapped it for fourth on back. D. Hilla gave up third on lap 6 when he was forced to pit with a flat tire.

Racing action came to a halt when Paige Gantz went for a wild ride of turn 2 ending up in tullies, literally. Once back to green, Henley and Jones broke away from Jared Ganss, Ty Coad sr. and Trevor Hilla. Henley quickly put distance on Jones and caught the tail of the field with a few laps to go. Henley picked his way through, while maintaining his lead and easily taking the win.

Pure Stock

1. 96 Justin Henley

2. 555 Sonny Jones

3. J8 Jared Ganss

4. 55 Sammy Payne

5. 55x Ty Coad sr.

6. 3x Trevor Hilla

7. 15 William Cavender

8. 7x Dennis Hilla

9. 25jr Chance Skains

10. 8g2 Paige Gantz

57z Cecil Zimmerman--DQ(shocks)

Pure Stock heat winners, 555 Sonny Jones, 96 Justin Henley

Next weekend is Manning Safety Services night at the races, with free T-shirts given away to the first 100 spectators. Also in observance of Mothers Day, the track will have some special give-aways for the mothers in the crowd.

In the Pure Stocks

5th place - 57z - was DQ'ed (shocks).

Congrats to all winners last night

Pure Stock - 96 Justin Henley - Leming - Sponsored by: Henley Construction, 24/7 Towing, Hance Auto Parts, C&C Graphics

Street Stocks - 41 Wade Jones - Jourdanton

Super Stocks - 58 Moe VanKirk - Kerrville - Sponsored by: Trey Massie Well Service, Hill Country Happings

And in the Sport Mods

94 was Allen Torres

And we are sending out a huge Happy Birthday out to the driver of the #37 Sport Mod & Mod, William "Bill" Pittaway, and his pit crew members, Ed Perez and Chris Cunningham.

Happy Birthday guys, from everyone here at I-37 Raceway.

Edited by cassy14

Words can't express HOW MUCH FREAKING FUN I had last night out at I-37. What a hell of a track. AWESOME...

Thank you guys for welcoming us out there, I had a blast and now you are stuck with me... :D

THANKS RANDY ITS FUN TRAVELING WITH U ALL AND U R GETTING A HANDLE ON WHAT TO CHANGE ITS LIKE GETTING A NEW CAR AND IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO GET IT DOWN IM GLAD UR R HAPPY WITH THE CHANGES WE MADE AND CONGRATS TO JOHNY T U WERE CATCHING THE LEADER BUT I THINK HE OUT HP U BY A LONG SHOT :ph34r: AND UR MOTOR IS NO SLOUCH :blink: I THINK THEY MIGHT NEED TO PULL A PAN IF THAT HAPPENS AGAIN WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ;)

Words can't express HOW MUCH FREAKING FUN I had last night out at I-37. What a hell of a track. AWESOME...

Thank you guys for welcoming us out there, I had a blast and now you are stuck with me... :D

GREAT MEETING UR GROUP DAWN HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL OUT THERE SOON