Sad news from Corpus Christi

NickHolt

Donnie Yocum passed away Saturday afternoon in Corpus Christi after a long illness.

Donnie contributed a great deal to stock car racing in South Texas and will be missed greatly by the entire Texas racing community.

As soon as information about services is known, we will post it here.

Our hearts go out to Carol and Don and the rest of the Yocum family during this time of deep sorrow.

Nick

Yes it is sad news.My family would like to send there condolences to the Yocum family.Mr Yocum will be missed alot.We send our love and prayers to the family.If there is anything we can do please let me know.

Sincerely, Robin Kemp and Family

DON.S LOVE AND PASSION FOR RACEN WAS TRULY IMSPERATION FOR MANY ..I WATCHED HIM RACE FOR MANY YEARS ..HIS VISION OF HAVEING A REALLY NICE LOCAL TRACK CAME TO REALITY WITH CC SPEEDWAY . FROM A DUST BOWL TO A STADIUM .. HE WORKED LONG HOURS AND SLEEPLESS NIGHTS SO WE THE RACERS COULD HAVE A TRACK TO BE PROUD OF . .

DON THE LORD HAS A CHAMPIONS TROPHY IN HEAVEN .... YOU DESERVE IT ....

REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND ..

MCCAIN FAMILY ...

Edited by oldtimer

Dad's passion has always been racing. His biggest trophy was CC Speedway and when you look back to what it was, and what he did, wow what a change. He was very proud of CCS and its drivers and fans. There are many of you out there that would testify that just about any day of the week, you could find Dad working on something or driving some equipment to improve CCS. If he wasn't working at the track he was out promoting it, and as many of you know, he sure loved to talk racing! I could go on and on with stories but I won't right now many of you were part of them anyway. Thank you all for being a part of my Dad's vision and life long dream.

We are planning a memorial service next Saturday at Grace United Methodist Church in Annaville at 4:00 pm. The Church is located at Leopard & Violet next to the McDonald's

If there is an Icon in racing in Texas it is Don Yocum Sr. A man that Loved racing that is him. A man that Loved to make racing better in Texas that is him. It was always an honor to talk with Don Yokum Sr. I was very fortunate to be able to work with him on some repair projects at the track. I will always remember him & he will always be a part of racing in Texas.

Respectfully,

Shawn Bourland

One of the positive things I got from working at CCS last summer was getting to know the Yocum family. It was obvious that Donnie had a great passion for racing, and he did so much to provide a fine facility for the racers and fans.

At the CCS end-of-year BBQ, I really enjoyed sitting and talking with Donnie for quite a while. He certainly had a lot of "racing wisdom" to share.

My prayers and sincerest sympathy go out to the Yocum family, especially Carol and Don Jr. I know y'all will miss him a lot.

I know that Donnie will be missed by all. Our deepest condolences go out to Carol, Donald, Rena and the entire family.

I remember the day I first met Donnie and Carol in Robstown at a flea market. Met them through my mother then years later I met up with them again and started working at CCS for them as scorekeeper. As the years passed I became more involved with more work load myself and I really saw what all Donnie put into that track. There were days I don't see how he kept going but he did just to make things better for the racers and fans.

It seems like the race track was right up there in the number one spot along side his family.

The past few years I know his health did not let him do the things he wanted to do with racing. There were many times he was out there working when he should have been at home either in bed or resting. It was my pleasure working for him all those years.

Donnie wanted to make one last ride around the track and I can just see him now getting his trophy and his checkered flag.

Rest in peace my friend,

Charlotte, Gary Clanton and family

Edited by tylanic

My thoughts and prayers are with the Yocum family. Don will be sorely missed and I will always remember him as one of the hardest working people I have ever met, not to mention one tough customer. His vision and the work ethic behind it is what seperated him from others. He stuck with it even when times were tough and was the best thing to ever happen to CC Speedway. May he rest in peace.

Duane Jones

Edited by champ1796

Our prayers go out to the Yocum family during this time and the time that follows. I met the Yocums in 1993 when my husband drove the pace car for them and I started scoring. Donnie was a great man and I alwasy loved hearing his stories. Bill and I will truly miss him. Carol, Don Jr, Rena and the entire Yocum family are in our prayers and hearts. We love you Donnie.

Marcia and Bill Brownlee

My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Yocum family.

Donnie was a wonderful man and he will be missed by all who knew him. I still remember one day when I was talking to him about racing and he actually laughed at me when I told him that I was going to be racing dwarf cars......I asked him why that was so funny, and he told me he was not laughing at me, he was laughing at the poor guys who I was gonna beat on the track!!!

Thanks for the memories Mr. Yocum!!!

~Christine Parks

My condolences to Don and family. Thinking about yall.

This is very sad news , Donnie took a chance with us and let us video at CCS , it was his confidence in me that was a major part in why I did it for 10yrs. Donnie will be missed and his memory will live on in us. Though we arn't in Texas , our Prayers , Thoughts and Hearts will be with the Yocum family during this time.

Rest In Peace Donnie

My condolences to the Yocum family.Mr Yocum was truly a class act.Even though I was an outsider he treated me like I was a neighbor.My brother and I feel we were very lucky to have raced for him.He would tell you what he was thinking,a real mans man.He believed hard work was its own reward and did not believe in self pitty.He would straighten me out whenever I started whining about rules or being picked on and would say "Dont worry about rules,just adjust your car and go win anyway."I really looked up to this man with lots of respect and like everyone will miss him a lot.Rest in Peace and thank you Mr Yocum for what you gave us. G.B.Carter and family.