Mobile Pictures

Trotter1t

Mobile All-Pro I believe 1985. The ran Friday at Pensicola and Saturday at Mobile. Gary Belaugh(spl?) spun Freddy Fryar in 3-4 coming to get the white at Pensicola. Freddy waited in the infield and tried to back up into Belaugh when he came around the next lap for the checkers.

More.

[resized by Nick Holt, 3/29/08]

post-3-1206850728_thumb.jpg

post-3-1206850734_thumb.jpg

post-3-1206850741_thumb.jpg

post-3-1206850752_thumb.jpg

post-3-1206850762_thumb.jpg

post-3-1206850770_thumb.jpg

post-3-1206850780_thumb.jpg

post-3-1206850814_thumb.jpg

because then (like now in some case) real men , i mean racers worked on their own sh^t. you didn't show up at a track , politican until race time , then get in and hope you could run good.

Because in those days drivers often were their own crew chief, head mechanic, bank, hauler driver, sponsor and everything else too.

Back when I was helping Ed Sczech with the suspension on his cars, I remember the big Mexican Wide World of Sports road course event that he won Monterrey, Mexico, back in the late 70's or early 80's.

He brought the old yellow, #76 Camaro that we ran at Highway 16 and in Austin for a number of years. Our competition was a bunch of those high-dollar Porches, Mazdas, etc. You know, the ones with all the fancy paint jobs, expensive haulers, team managers and publicists. Their drivers would emerge from the team mobile home, prance around a bit for the camera and get into their cars all real pretty-like...

Meanwhile, Ed, along with the hard-working, hard-partying 76 crew was under the Camaro fixing something or other, changing springs, setting the timing, etc, right up until it was time to grid. Ed's driver suit was ripped where his name was sewn and he had grease and smudge all over his face and the rest of his suit - a real pretty sight for the TV cameras.

As it turned out, Ed won. Made those tea-sipping Formula One wannabees look silly.

When Ed stepped out of the car for the victory celebration, he looked about twice as grimy as he did before the race. And to make matters worse, the TV interviewer only spoke Spanish and Ed basically knew how to order a screwdriver in Spanish. Was an awarkward TV moment for sure.. LOL

As I recall, Ed spent most of the winnings in Monterrey treating his team to a first-class party after the race, but you'll have to ask someone else how all that turned out. I really can't recall much after throwing the furniture out of the fourth floor hotel room window into the pool. OR was that Tom Williams doing the furniture toss? OR was that a different time and place? It all blurs together somehow.. LOL

Nick

thiis may not be the be the best place for this but Nick kinda started this, do you guys rember when the late models raced in the streets in Austin with the SCCA guys it was kinda that way too..... use to run around with some of them (my dad always made fun of me and that MG) that kinda got me back to watchin real men race cars , they realy kicked some butt and I think most of them raced Friday night at Longhorn then Saturday down in SA, then on Sunday race down Barton Srings Road, :ph34r: they just showed up all the T/A watabes ....didn't mean to hijack the post I'm kinda new aroud here and Nick I promise to keep to the sideliness , be quiet and not use your name...... ( this is a great site tho ...)

david bauer

I really can't recall much after throwing the furniture out of the fourth floor hotel room window into the pool.

You had a hotel? That was really first class. When we went down there it was sleeping bags on the deck of the transporter.

And when you say "hard partying crew", you aren't kidding. We always wondered what was happening over there!

Welcome to the board, David; I was a crewman for one of those late models.

An interesting aspect of those races was just how different the oval racers and the SCCA racers were in manners, demeanor, etc. The SCCA guys were always more refined; to be honest, we called them the "Wine and Cheese crowd", while us oval racers.....well, our idea of refined was clean shorts twice in a weekend.

I remember one particular moment during one of the practice sessions; this one was a Saturday session. The oval guys were out there banging off each other and the curbs and stuff, and they'd pass each other and the SCCA type cars within inches of each other. The other oval guys weren't bothered, but it downright scared the hell out of some of the SCCA guys. A couple of Austin racers, "Moose" Bowen, and Luke Griffin were standing watching as a SCCA guy got out of his car and started raising hell about the driving out there; how rough the oval guys were, and on and on. Moose and Griffin, who both were over 6'5, and had the size to go with it, starting laughing at the guy, and told him "Awww, they're just having fun out there, wait until tomorrow when they get serious". The look on that SCCA driver's face was priceless.

yes I was with some of those goobers (ok I was kinda was one of those goobers) Realized after that cheese goes better with BEER......you guys are doing an unbelievable job of saving the history of racing in this era thanks

db

Speaking of Monterrey and "another time" -

I believe Ronnie Groff was the first to start racing down there on a regular basis (early '70's) , and he persuaded other South Texas roundy-rounders to start making the trip. Our team was on good terms with Ronnie, and during one weekend one of the other crew guys, Alan Polacek, persuaded Ronnie to give the two of us a ride in his racecar.

And HE DID! Mind you this was a typical Trans-Am type Camaro, full rollcage, one seat, so we were just wedged into whatever spaces we could find between the rear rollcage bracing. No helmets, earplugs, nothing. Ronnie probably didn't go 100%, as, if nothing else, the weight distribution of the car would have been way off, but it was at least 90%. An experience I will never forget, truly a mind-blowing time, to say the least.

It also blew my mind that you could get away with that, even given that it was Mexico. I would assume that is no longer possible....

Maybe Neil Upchurch will chime in here. I think he has the complete history of how we all got hooked up road racing down in Mexico. Unless I'm sadly mistaken, it all got started with the four-cylinder cars.

Nick

if you look at some old pictures of the cup guys back before everyone started wearing full face helmets with the a/c hoses all of them looked like worked in coal mines after a race , in regard to Fryar being dirty the last thing on his mind is looking like belongs in G Q ,yeah ,he may have needed to wipe his face but if you look close you can see the outline from his goggles on his face ,i have seen drivers climb out of cars who looked a whole lot worse than Fryar does ,and how many times have you seen the winner on tv sitting in the car as his P.R. hands him a towel ? yeah you do try to keep clean but a lot of times you are just finishing tightening up that last bolt as the cars are being called to the line. B)

Archived